Control Deck vs Playing Card Deck - Combining the Two

Xander

Like many others, I was drawn to Malifaux because of its use of the standard playing card deck. There is something cool about using playing cards that conjures up a certain gambling/poker/western mystique -- very fitting for Malifaux. I guess that's why I was a little surprised to learn that this mystique doesn't really cash out in the game. The Malifaux control decks, while lovely in their own right, don't capture the same mysterious essence as a standard playing card deck.

I wanted something like what ZENCARDZ sells. A vintage looking deck of cards with a kind of weathered brown-paper effect. I may yet buy a deck of these, as they are pretty cool (check out their other decks too, there are some really cool ones), but they fail to have any direct correlation to Malifaux.

In looking at the different suits, I began to sketch up some ideas about how I could take the Malifaux faction suits and re-craft them to look like their corresponding playing card suit. In so doing, I could begin to create a Control deck that easily double as a playing card deck.

So having a bit of graphic design knowledge (but limited Adobe Illustrator knowledge), I whipped up some rough suit designs in a vector format in Illustrator. Here's what I came up with:

malifaux-suits_01.pngmalifaux-suits_02.pngmalifaux-suits_03.png

I am curious if anyone out there uses a standard deck of playing cards regularly. If so, which deck (Bicycle, etc) and why? I'd of course welcome any feedback on my initial designs. They will no doubt be iterated before I am completely happy with them, but I think I achieved what I set out to do so far. That is, blend the faction suit with the playing card suit so that both are recognizable in a single graphic.

Next up is designing the card faces themselves. I will likely include a Weak, Moderate, Severe marker of some kind, but I have not thought that far ahead yet, I mainly wanted to get the suits mocked up first.

Comments welcome!

EDIT:

Update - sample card:

King-of-Masks.jpg

EDIT: Here was the end result of this thread:

complete-deck-preview.png

I am still waiting to get my first sample deck, but once I have it, I will let you know how it turned out!

Edited by Xander

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I added the white club/heart/diamond/spade in as an afterthought, mostly for comparison purposes.

I think I might change the ram/horns to make them more coiled, and then make the snout more skull like as per the Ram symbol.

Thanks for the comment... *continues tweaking*

If you do a normal deck are you going to use the faction leaders to represent kings and queens etc?

If you do instead of holding weapons they could be holding the numbers the represent.

E.g. Ramos as King for the arcanists holging the number 13 instead of the usual swords or clubs etc

I like these - very cool
Thanks!

If you do a normal deck are you going to use the faction leaders to represent kings and queens etc?

If you do instead of holding weapons they could be holding the numbers the represent.

E.g. Ramos as King for the arcanists holging the number 13 instead of the usual swords or clubs etc

That's a pretty cool idea.

Who would be the King, Queen, Jack for each faction, I wonder? Any thoughts?

Oh, this is awesome. As something of a playing card enthusiast, I've always wished Wyrd would play with that aesthetic a little. And those suits look like a great start to it.
Glad you agree! Hopefully, I will end up with something serviceable.

FANtastic...

would love to see another deck option for malifaux. really didn't care for the hard to see puppet deck

Thanks. :) Yeah, I wish there were more options, hence why I am crafting my own! :)

I am not sure how I intend to print a copy. If I do them at a printer on a card stock of some kind, then I doubt I will have any to sell.

I do plan to release all the working files though, so people can go have them printed for themselves if they wish.

If you're thinking of using masters as the icons for the King, Queen and Jack, maybe use the original three masters from the first books?

Guild - Justice, Sonnia, Perdita

Arcanist - Marcus, Rasputina, Ramos

Resurrectionist - Seamus, McMourning, Nicoderm

Neverborn - Pandora, Zorida, Lilith

That'd keep with the old timey theme I'd imagine, considering they are the original masters.

Really cool! :)

I've done custom decks of cards with ArtsCow before (http://www.artscow.com/). You can try that... decent quality, not too expensive...

If you could provide details of exactly what you bought and how many and how much they costed you, that would be most helpful to everyone, I think!

Thanks for the link!

This seems to be what we are after: http://www.artscow.com/photo-gifts/playing-cards/playing-cards-54-designs-313

*makes an account, to see if they have prices once logged in*

Edited by Xander

It appears that, for that item, they take your image and put it as the backdrop for a playing card with the number value and suit overlaid. Might want to communicate with the artscow.com folks before ordering anything to see if they can customize your order by leaving any of their own art completely off the card.

It appears that, for that item, they take your image and put it as the backdrop for a playing card with the number value and suit overlaid. Might want to communicate with the artscow.com folks before ordering anything to see if they can customize your order by leaving any of their own art completely off the card.

You can click on each card and disable the "Poker Text" they call it. Then you get a blank canvas to work with!

Very neat tool.

Arts Cow seems to charge only 10 bucks! That's pretty remarkable!

Printer Studio seems to be 8 bucks. Pretty cool. They also have a neat little piece of software to use. The bonus here seems to be that the more you order, the cheaper they are!

I will play around with both of these, I think!