The MASSIVE Disappointment that is...

CalmPlains

Is it me or have Wyrd, just changed their style a little to much. I was first drawn to their game, having read a review in Unseen Lerker, at the cartoon style had me hooked. Over the top models, with comically large weapons and I was on board. However I am glad I was, because whilst some of the new alternate models are stunning (I am looking at you Lady J, although you might not be looking back,) the more realistic look of the mini's doesn't create the same interest in the game, the first line did.

That Candy cannot hold a candle to the original, she just looks like some snotty nosed retainer wearing brat.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to see a better picture but personal I am glad she isn't the typical slutty school girl. As others have pointed out here there are already a million minis of those out there.

Besides who is look at Candy when you have that Awesome Pandora Avatar out in play

I'm all for not having every model default to a sexy female. I'll agree I like them and the showgirls are what drew me to the game but that shouldn't be used as a crutch either.

The main issue I'm having is the trend towards bad/awkward poses. The base and other elements of the Z avatar for instance looks amazing, but the pose on Zoraida herself is hard to describe. Is she pretending to dance with somebody? holding out a beer? I can't see enough of the Perdita model to really make a judgment yet, but I don't think that model looks right either. The female Desperate Merc is another pose. The poses that are using hard to justify props (like Marcus and his stack of phone books) are also bothersome.

I'm not complaining about the game at all. Just saying that IMHO I have been feeling for a few months that maybe there are too many pots on the fire and some things are getting through the design process that wouldn't normally have done so.

To all the people saying "just give it a chance until we see better pics" - there is enough resolution there to tell this is a bad model. The pic could be completely clear, and have one of the most beautifully sculpted faces on the planet, but that doesn't change the fact that the pose is utterly ridiculous, and makes very little sense. You can also see general details...and they are flat-out boring. There is nothing about this model that is interesting beyond the fact that it was considered 'acceptable' to preview by the Dev's at Wyrd.

I understand the fluff went a certain direction in Book 2, but there is almost nothing about this model at all that relates back to the original Candy. There should be certain visual features that link between the 2, just for reference's sake. As mentioned before, its just plain boring and uninspired, which is a shame for a character who's fluff became much more relevant in Book 2.

Hopefully we won't see any more pics of it today, because hopefully Nathan and Eric noticed the feedback and removed it from the display case at Gencon...taking it back to the drawing board.

Edited by thetang22

where can you get those models from i might buy them and convert them into something just for the hell of it

I forget the first one, but it is on CMON. The 2nd is Cinderella by Tale of War.

The Reaper Alice model posted is also really nice, in fact I'm using the White Rabbit from it as a teddy in my upcoming Dreamer crew. he may be a bit tiny, but think Monty Python and the Holy Grail and you'll get what I'm after with the model, hahaha :D

I forget the first one, but it is on CMON. The 2nd is Cinderella by Tale of War.

The Reaper Alice model posted is also really nice, in fact I'm using the White Rabbit from it as a teddy in my upcoming Dreamer crew. he may be a bit tiny, but think Monty Python and the Holy Grail and you'll get what I'm after with the model, hahaha :D

ahh pooky the white rabbit i remember him from asherons call

just standing there looking at the bunny comming into town and aobut a min later everyone in town is dead.... ah the memories of old school games inspired by monty python

The change in style is something I have also noticed, but did not want to go all vocal as I thought it is my personal view. As other users also noticed it, I guess I can express what is bothering me. So, all of the below is my opinion that I am not trying to state as a fact.

I cannot help but feel that the company is devolving in terms of quality of their miniatures and paintjobs. The change is very obvious in Twisting Fates releases and the disparities between good and downright bad sculpts even more obvious. I do not know what is the reason behind this. It may be, as stated before, the tight timeframe or maybe it is a general change in company's policy.

It hurts, as I am a fanboi and so far more or less, really liked every new release. Now, looking at the new stuff, I can honestly say I only like Miss D, altSeamus, ASeamus, altSonnia, ASonnia and altRasputina. The rest is more or less disappointing with some really bad sculpts like Candy, APandora, AMarcus, AJustice (wtf Play-doh hair???) or altPerdita.

Also the overall quality of painting seems to have dropped. Some very nice pieces like Miss Demeanor, NE Teddy or altSonnia don't really make up for very awkward APandora or terrible altRamos.

I guess, the best illustration of my point is comparing the below photos.

Perdita.jpgp-16663.jpg

Is there even one person who likes the new model more? Be it sculpt or painting-wise? The old Perdita simply oozes character, grace and power. The new one looks like a spoilt fatso, who was just given her new toy guns. I understand, Eric has more important things on his head than paintinf Wyrd minis, but I really miss the times of Steamborg or the Ortegas.

It is all very hard for me, because I really love the game and I cannot wait to put my hands on the new rulebook, but I feel lost and disappointed.

Does anyone share my feelings?

Perdita.jpg

Is there even one person who likes the new model more? Be it sculpt or painting-wise??

Again here are some better photos for your comparison:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24546626@N04/6009276213/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24546626@N04/6009825062/in/photostream

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24546626@N04/6009824966/in/photostream

Looks way better than the pic shows it to be so i think i will wait to genral relese for her and pandy.

I think it has a lot to the do with the positioning of her left arm. Pulling it back that way gives her an almost fearful/awe-inspired look as compared the NYG Tight End pose seen on the Wyrd Online store.

Hey Jimmy! Many thanks for your input and the photos. I have to admit, both Candy and altPerdita look waaaay better on your photos than on official Wyrd ones. It makes me feel that I was maybe a bit too eager with my opinion on the significant quality drop and I owe the sculptor (you?) an apologie. While they still aren't my favourites, this is a matter of taste and I can understand someone likes them.

This makes me wonder if the choice of painters or the photography technique were optimal. It might be a serious problem as the photos on the site are supposed to attract potential customers, not scare them away...

I would definately take old Perdita over new.

The greens of Candy look much better then the pics but still I think it's a disappointment, she just looks like she's raging and there is nothing to tie her to younger Candy.

What's been bothering me is the faces, mainly the women. Alt Sonia Crid, Miss Demeanor, Zoraida avatar, new Candy, and a couple others just do not look proper. The lips don't look natural, the faces too wide. I just hope they put the brakes on at Wyrd and really look at some of the new models and see how they've changed in style.

I get the feeling that the Victorian/Gothic side of Malifaux is moving towards SciFi/Fantasy, I hope I'm wrong on that.

I thought I would give you a picture of the green to see her face.

dscn3082j.jpg

dscn3083fq.jpg

Okay now I do actually like the Candy. I say that because the first thing I was shown was utter crap. Had I been shown this one at first I might have some reservations about it. But 100% improvement then what we have been seeing.

Question: This model looks different than the one from the original pics. Is it a different model? Also which one will we be getting if we do order the Pandora Avatar if it is a different model.

The green for Candy looks great. She's called the Petulant Child, right? As someone with a 3 1/2 year old daughter, I can confirm that yes, the pose and facial expression are bang on. :)

As for Perdita, her alt isn't a bad model, but it's not even in the same ballpark as 'Dita classic, imo.