The Tale of Malifaux Painters

DAGabriel

If it breaks again then I'll try it. Any tricks for getting the drillbit into the drill in a straight line?

Not really, sorry.

I have the standard GW pin vice, it comes with two drill bits and the smaller one is around a half mil- the smallest you should ever need, and perfect for a standard paper clip. The large drill bit is around 1mm the perfect size for large heavy-duty paper clips too, conveniently.

Before inserting the drill bit, if you tighten the vice up first to the point where the drill bit can't slide in any other way than straight, you should be fine!

Remember, the "chuck" in the pin vice (the piece that holds the drill bit) are usually reversible if you unscrew the vice completely- one side is for larger bits and one side for smaller.

Can't recommend the GW one enough- certainly done the trick for me for many years.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Incidentally, good luck to all involved. Please post any comments about my work as I am always looking to improve but have not painted regularly for more than 2 years.

As an ex GW staffer I built up a great catalogue of models but over the years have sold the armies I amassed to fund more projects.

Currently I am experimenting with glazes and washes to see what effects I can achieve. While I am happy with painted models for tabletop gaming, if I can get a good, quick and effective result at the same time then I'll be even happier.

D.

Love the energy that everyone is showing towards painting thanks to this thread. I just finished my Reserrs crew the other day and I posted some pics on another thread. (I started painting long before the Tale of painters so I figured that they should not be part of the Tale, but I would love your opinion on these guys.) http://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=23261

Been working on my Raspy crew the past couple of days, so really excited about that.

P.S. I assembled my Dead Rider last night. That is a great looking mini!!

@Cubert: Yes he is a lovely model and on my to get list for my Nico crew.

Anyone else have extreme problems assembling the Guild Hunter? I am an experienced modeller with 20+ years under my belt but OMFG that model had me in tears! Finally got it assembled but it is in a very awkward pose and I will need to buy another and convert before I am satisfied (ps the hunter is rare:2 right?)

D.

@Munky: Haven't had that pleasure yet.

Re: Priming white or black. I went with white just to see what difference it makes to my usual black primer. Black is great for doing lots of models as it adds instant shading.

Incidentally I have been using Halfords spray primers for the last few years and they are great. Better than GW by far, cheaper and you get more in the can.

D.

Well, I had some (right, a lot of) free time, so I'm almost done with my goal for this month, only Alyce to go. Time for some pics!

Steampunk Arachnids

Since I don't really like the original sculpt for them, I used something different...Necron Scarabs! I love those cute little buggers :) There are blue arachnids and a blue swarm, red arachnids and a red swarm, and I'll be adding green arachnids as an extra to the other crew members' bases.

arachnid01.jpg

arachnid02.jpg

Steampunk Arachnid Swarms

On the blue one you can see how these little things are made. Ramos summons them? Nah, that's a lie ;)

swarm01.jpg

swarm02.jpg

Mobile Toolkit

It's kinda the same thing with the arachnids, the original sculpt looks a bit...strange. AND since it can give a :tomes to Ca, I found it fitting to make it actually carry a book. The other one has a toolbox...

toolkit01.jpg

toolkit02.jpg

Rusty Alyce (WIP)

Had to find some use for the AUSCON Steampunk Dorothy...yeah, she has no mechanical limbs, but she looks great anyway! I think I'll paint some part of her clothes with rust-like colours 'cause of her name. Oh, and her base is done.

dorothy01j.jpg

dorothy02.jpg

I think that's it for now...oh, and I got the bases "assembled" (right, added scarabs on them) for Ramos (alternate), Electrical Creation and the Steamborg. Will order them in a few days (yeah, GenCon!!)

See ya!

Nice idea on the scarabs. I was tempted before, and am tempted again should 7 not be enough, heh.

Played a lovely 2 matches earlier today and did rather well with Pandora then Dreamer, so not much work got done. I did, however, headswap Von Schill, added sleeves and cuffs, a scarf, backpack similar to those of his troops and added a mouth grille.

VonSchill1.jpg

VonSchillscarf.jpg

Nice to see how all your work is going! Sad to say but I am really struggling, lost motivation and I am on the hardest bit (painting all the base colours in on top of the primer) for me. I don't know why but it takes me a long time. I have spent a lot of time reading up on how to paint wood grain for Francisco's gun.

@ Moondog: I`m just doing the same to my LadyJ crew, i am already dislikink the Death Marshalls. Have the feeling you can only paint them simple and boring or very time consuming.

Don`t know what i`ll chose considering i only want her for playing and keep the Gremlins for good. +teaching my daughter the basics for her young Nephilim.

Ok, Well I got my Gen Con order in. Ordered Nightmare Teddy, Alt. Seamus, Alt. Justice and Alt. Ramos for the lady. As I have no idea how long these will take to arrive I also ordered up a pack of Rotten Belles, Madame Sybelle, Jack Daw and something for the lady from our fave online UK webstore (Arcane Miniatures). These should be here with a week so we can start and have something done by the due date while waiting for our WYRD package! ;)

Am I the only one who loved painting the Marshals? They were really fun to do!

I enjoyed painting the Marshals a lot actually. It took me a little to get into Lady J but once the hair was done everything else went smoothly. One model that I am struggling to finish is the kneeling down Austringer, just not feelin it with him.

On another note I am powering through the McMourning crew I put up for the challenge, havent started on the Hollow Waifs for Leve but I am thinking I might just continue powering through McMourning and start more of Leve next month.

com-mcmourning.jpg

Hi there....

Ok here is the revision of what I will be working on

Currently I have

Douglas McMourning

Sebastian

Flesh Construct,

Nurse

Belle(nurse with comic syringe)

FLGS order

Seamus box

Lost Love