3 or 4 player

Serigala

Probably a bit early to ask, but some playtesters might be able to comment.

I play a lot of boardgames. And I love games which accommodate 4 or more players.

But I have never been satisfied by a 3 or 4 player miniatures game, unless there are 2 distinct sides/teams working together. In my experience too much of the game becomes about the metagame of who sides with who, or who avoids the action in the early game, for a late game advantage.

Also the additional downtime means that I spend twice as long for less than half the game.

So how does Puppet Wars fare in this respect? Is it a good 3 or 4 player experience? Is the multiplayer expansion a must have?

The Multiplayer Expansion gives more options for the 2 player game and the fcat you have multiple win conditions means you generally wont find one player being able to skulk away from the action, plus the board size also helps keeping everyone involved form the get go (plus you have the starting locations too).

In addition the AR system means you wont be waiting too long for your turn as everyone is only animating one puppet before the next turn comes along

The Multi Player pack gives you extra Masters to get your Puppet fetish going even further :D Syngergies *drool*.

But seriously, I believe that Multiplayer is a worthwhile style of play, for one you can't sit back and watch the stuffing fly, Workbenches make for a really pro-active approach to bashing eachothers buttons out while keeping play fast enough with alternating model activations :D.

Decks are ofcourse sold seperately, don't know if it's a bad thing, 2 decks is enough for those who just want the extra Masters.

Offcourse adding the decks would be nice, but then again adding those to the box would also add up on the price tag. Now the box is more multi purpose and less "redundant" extra's when using it for the extra masters.

Having played this game, I can tell you, I believe that the two things that really set it aside from other miniatures games are the list building, and the multiplayer.

Yes, you CAN play Malifaux or 40k or whatever multiplayer, but that is not what those systems were designed for. And it's not how I like to play them. Puppet Wars is absolutely designed for multiplayer.