Mako's Crew(s)

Mako

Seems like an age since I managed to paint anything, I've had a few bits of sculpting work to sort out for other people and my actual job is taking up stupid amounts of time!

Also should say, after actually handling a shikome model the other day at my LGS, they're not as bad as I thought. Still not how I picture them though, so will make one.

Have ordered some night terrors (and Kirai's avatar from wyrd, but that'll take a while to arrive!) so they'll get added to the list of stuff to paint soon. I broke one of my converted seishin and then decided to sculpt a fifth while repairing that one, so I can have all 5 match. With any luck I'll get some tome to paint this week, as Datsue-ba is sat undercoated on my desk. An exercise in weathering clothing this time, same colour set but worn and stained.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, it's been a busy few weeks. Finally got round to finishing up Datsue-ba though. SHe's a bit dusty but I'll brush that off before I spray her with a touch of matt varnish.

datsue-ba.jpg

I currently have my 'stick-o-seishin' on my painting table (wooden strip with all five seishin pinned to it. Makes spraying and painting them all a bit easier). They're actually taking a fiar bit longer than I expected, because they've got so many ridges on the bodies that need highlighting! Also played my first ever game the other night, just to learn the rules, so it was a strategy free game. I learned a few interesting things, like when you can't get a single mask card in your hand Kirai herself isn't exactly nippy!

Edited by Mako
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've never had such a difficult time painting something to look right as I have with these seishin. There's only 5 and they're only little, how can it have taken so long!! But they just need a few more touches and they'll be done and I'll post them up. Then just got 2 gaki, 2 night terrors and the avatar form to go (who I have plans for, oh yes...).

Also, I'll be at the Leeds tournament on saturday peeking at other peoples crews, watching people who know what they're doing play the game, and maybe even sitting at the paint table and doing something! So feel free to kick me if you want to see any of this lot in person. I'll be the guy looking half asleep and stuffing wagon wheels into my face as fast as possible.

Whoo! New photos! Seishin are finished at last:

seishin.jpg

And we have a shot of the expanding crew, only the shikome sculpt, a pair of night terrors and pair of gaki to go (I'm seeing that maybe another two gaki would be handy but can't be bothered to paint four at once!)

Kiraicrew13-9.jpg

I now also have colette's crew to work on, but will try to focus on Kirai for a little bit longer...

Edited by Mako
  • Like 2

aw.....

But to be honest they are dead nice.. I really like them.

Don't feel bad Ratty, we all still love you! (And I'd probably pick yours over mine in a painting contest :P:)

Cheers for the comments guys, I'm seriously glad seishin are rare 5 and I don't ever have to do another. They took way more effort than a small model should! With any luck I'll have got past the delays and can move onto the rest quickly.

I'm thinking of posting up stages of the avatar form as she'll take a while and I'm planning on trying something a little different with her.

Don't feel bad Ratty, we all still love you! (And I'd probably pick yours over mine in a painting contest :P:)

Cheers for the comments guys, I'm seriously glad seishin are rare 5 and I don't ever have to do another. They took way more effort than a small model should! With any luck I'll have got past the delays and can move onto the rest quickly.

I'm thinking of posting up stages of the avatar form as she'll take a while and I'm planning on trying something a little different with her.

I need to do quite a bit of conversion on her.

• Like 1

Damn, you're right about the trails. May have to lengthen them now!

I reckon once I blend ikiryo into kirai the lower dress will be fine for me, I don't want too much of a sense of movement from her. More a kind of slow rising feel. But I can see the sense in making her match ikiryo a bit more.

Ah yes, see what you mean. I'm too used to Hakama (comedy looking gear I had to wear doing Iaido, you look like you're wearing an ankle length skirt and a blouse with a 3 inch wide belt holding it all in. Mind you, people laugh a lot less when you're wearing a katana with it) and didn't think about the lower folds!

Damn, that's going to bug me now. I may have to tweak that too!