'Shrug Off' vs. Falling Back

Tarragon

If this has already been answered, or is in the FAQ somewhere, I apologize profusely.

So, I had another game, Pandora v. Perdita. I decided for the lulz to cast 'Trapped In Your Own Nightmare' on Papa Loco, and surround him. My opponent said that if he fell back, he could use 'Shrug Off' to negate the effects of falling back.

We're both extremely new to the game (My third, and his first) so neither of us could decide whether this was allowed or not.

As it happened, it didn't come to that. But I'm still curious.

P.S. Also, do Resist Duels count as Morale duels for the purposes of Falling Back?

I think you can shrug off trapped in your own nightmare, but not falling back (I don't think you can use (0) while you are Rallying)

Eh..

Not sure about the Shrugging off Falling Back (exactly what constituted an effect was discussed a great deal a long while back, but not sure if there ever was a conclusion to it, might be worth a search - in the manual the term 'effect' still seems fairly wide..)..

Anyway, there's nothing to prevent you from taking (0) actions while Rallying.. :S No movement actions, that is all.. (and :-fate to everything..)

And re your last question, morale duels are resist duels, but not all resist duels are morale duels. You're at a -ive flip unless it's specifically a morale duel (eg casued by terrifying or labelled as a morale duel)
Awesome, thanks. Excellent news for Pandora.

In discussion.
So, by this logic, if you don't resist the Trapped In Your Own Nightmare when it's cast, you'd have to take Terrifying test when you activate, and if you fail then you can't shrug it off and you'd have to Rally normally.

So, that also means that you wouldn't have a chance to Shrug Off the 'Trapped In Your Own Nightmare' effects if there's models in range at the start of that models activation.

Edited by WEiRD sKeTCH

So, by this logic, if you don't resist the Trapped In Your Own Nightmare when it's cast, you'd have to take Terrifying test when you activate

Only if you activate in another model's melee range, you end an action in another models melee range or you declare a charge against something.

And don't forget, your opponents terrifying models lose their immunity to your own models' terrifying when within 12" of Pandora. This can be very useful ;)

And don't forget, your opponents terrifying models lose their immunity to your own models' terrifying when within 12" of Pandora. This can be very useful ;)

This is VERY incorrect.

Immunity is a game term. Terrifying does not mention immunity anywhere.

Edited by WEiRD sKeTCH

So, wait a moment...

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but it seems that you can't 'Shrug Off' falling back. Is it then not termed an 'effect'? Perhaps it should be termed an 'event'? A 'forced action'?

And reading the rules, I think you can use (0) actions while Rallying, albeit with a :-fate modifier (although if you channel a spell, you should cancel that out, yes?)

So, wait a moment...

Forgive me if I'm being dense, but it seems that you can't 'Shrug Off' falling back. Is it then not termed an 'effect'? Perhaps it should be termed an 'event'? A 'forced action'?

And reading the rules, I think you can use (0) actions while Rallying, albeit with a :-fate modifier (although if you channel a spell, you should cancel that out, yes?)

You can't channel a (0) spell.

It's unclear to me how you would shrug off a falling back move since it happens right after failing a morale duel. Shrugging off the rallying condition/effect/whatever you wish to call it (or using (1) Dispel from a Witchling) is okay in my book, but I'm not sure about it.

Anyway, so what are the implications ofWEiRD sKeTCH's ruling then? Terrifying models are or are not immune to other terrifying creatures? I didnt quite register what the conclusion was?!

They do not have an Immunity, so abilities that cancel Immunity do not force Terrifying models to make Terrifying duels... so in effect a Terrifying model is immune to having its immunity to Terrifying stripped away, because it's not really immune in game terms.

And we're still waiting to find out whether the restrictions for a rally activation are an Effect, right?

Edited by Pink Horror

• 4 weeks later...