Rulebook Differences and Online PDF

binarysprinkle

Question

As someone new to this game, it is unclear to me what the $15 Rulebook in the online store actually contains since there is no description. Does one need all three books to play with the newest models?

Also, it is unclear as to which one of these rule books is the one available as a modified version in the PDF download. Is the PDF all the rules? Does one still need the expansion, Rising Powers, in addition to the PDF that is available in order to play with the newest models?

Even though I am new to gaming with minis my boyfriend is not and even he was confused when seeing three books at our local game shop. Since the game is new to the store the employees don't know much about it either (especially since all books come in shrink wrapping).

I'm very excited to get playing this game, but we both just need to know which rules we need for what. We're pretty sure he picked one of the original starter boxes and I picked one of the newest, and we don't want to sit down to play to find out we are missing rules for my starter set.

Thank you!

3 answers to this question

I'd say pick up all three books if possible so you'll have all the unit stats and all the story stuff in front of you. While it's true that you can look at the older stat cards online, you're missing all of the newer ones, and sometimes it's just nice to be able to flip through the book instead of opening multiple PDFs.

As the Wiki says though, to actually play the game you only need the $15 Rules Manual. Speaking of the Wiki (the one Lalochezia linked you to) check it out! It's full of really useful information, and the page Lalochezia linked you to gives you all the info you need to get stuff together and start playing.