When do you "discard a soulstone" when casting a spell?

Pitstop

Question

For instance... Colette's (1) Discharge Soulstone

(cc:14 book/Rst:Df/Rg:12) Discard one Soulstone

Do you get to make your casting flip and cheat fate before you discard the soulstone?

If the Black Joker comes on the casting flip do I still discard a soulstone for trying the spell?

Thanks

5 answers to this question

For instance... Colette's (1) Discharge Soulstone

(cc:14 book/Rst:Df/Rg:12) Discard one Soulstone

Do you get to make your casting flip and cheat fate before you discard the soulstone?

If the Black Joker comes on the casting flip do I still discard a soulstone for trying the spell?

Thanks

First you have to successfully cast the spell. If you fail, stop.

After a successful cast, you spend a soulstone. If you don't have a soulstone (or if you don't have the Use Soulstone ability) stop.

After spending a soulstone, the rest of the spell can happen.

rules Manual pg 53.

For an unresisted duel, the Additional Requirements (discard corpse counter, blood counters, soulstones, bay leaves) are discarded after the final duel total but before declaring a trigger during the casters flip.

For a resisted Duel, additional requirements are discarded if the caster is successful in casting the spell.

rules Manual pg 53.

For an unresisted duel, the Additional Requirements (discard corpse counter, blood counters, soulstones, bay leaves) are discarded after the final duel total but before declaring a trigger during the casters flip.

For a resisted Duel, additional requirements are discarded if the caster is successful in casting the spell.

Oh, yeah, forgot to also mention that. If the spell is successful, you spend the SS even if the target resists.

Oh, yeah, forgot to also mention that. If the spell is successful, you spend the SS even if the target resists.

Yeah, this is crucial. You fulfil the casting requirements (discard soulstone, sacrifice model etc) when you cast the spell (i.e. you cause a resist flip) NOT only if you win the duel (i.e. your opponent fails their resist flip). You can fulfil the requirements and still fail to have the spell go off.