Sewer board WIP

thatnicguy

Forgot to mention, for those who dont know the pins are an awesome cheat, i painted that small piece of terrain in about fifteen min all up, thats why the colours are so similar.

Quick run down, i started with the grey floor, mixed the colour and brushed it on, then added a bit of green and a bit of blue to the mix and coated the pipes, quick rinsed the brush and went back to the plain grey but added just blue and a touch more black and coated the back, all the colours are on a decent size palete and still wet (using house paint not model!) so then went back added a bit of white (off white) to each and gave each surface a rough highlight, rinsing the brush in between each. mixed up a dark red for the band around the pipe same quick highlight and all done.

Gave it ten to dry and went back to it with a worn down old sanding block, quick light sand all over gives all the painted stuff an aged look and takes the paint off the heads of all the pins, it really is cheating

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

is that a question? yes all the foam is getting covered with thin card it wont all have pins, the bigger areas of card im trying to add texture by drawing/pressing tile patterns in with a biro before sticking the card down, then highlighting those patterns when i paint em (i havent finished one of those areas yet, they will take a bit of work)

• 4 weeks later...

my excuse for lack of progress

005.jpg

on the plus side i finally have a decent phone to take photos with so that will hopefully get me back onto the board!

The bands around the pipes where a suggestion from a friend of mine, they are thick elastic bands, i cut them so they become a strip of elastic then put a drop of superglue to hold the starting point in place (usually as far under the pipe as i can) then stick dressmaking pins through the elastic and they cardboard tube trying to keep them even and straight down the centre of the elastic. this will result in a sore finger iv gone through about 200 at this point, i use a file or something similar for the intial push ;)

Unexcusable, I've been looking for updates on the sewer board...to steal for my own sewer board before Saturday evening.

Kidding of course. The Coryphee is very well done and I assume the sewer base is inspired by the fluffy first encounter between Colette and Hamelin in the Sewers.

Unexcusable, I've been looking for updates on the sewer board...to steal for my own sewer board before Saturday evening.

Kidding of course. The Coryphee is very well done and I assume the sewer base is inspired by the fluffy first encounter between Colette and Hamelin in the Sewers.

Definately, couldnt get the imagery out of my head of colourful dresses on dull sewer bases ;) first time using pre-made bases, they are fantastic!

sorry to derail my own topic, i'm getting back onto the gaming table this weekend i swear!

in the meantime here is my mech doves, both these and the coryphee (and a showgirl) all got paintstripped (at least once!) took me few goes before i was happy with them.

005-1.jpg

004.jpg

working on table tonight!

PROGRESS! WOO!

really productive couple of days, first i did some more constuction work, few thing things on the board got some basic level stuff done but the ones worth showing are the super mario pipe :)

006.jpg

and i finally tried out an idea i had for making a basic grill, or barred end for a half pipe which is in the unfinished corner of the board

007.jpg

really basic, but with the right paint job and some water oozing through it, it should look good, i have a lot of these to do!

iv been hanging out to do wooden barrels and crates to put all around the board. both to add cover and clutter to play around but in my head i thought wooden barrels and crates would bring the board back to the right feel for malifaux?

anyway i was trying to think of a way to make the barrels myself, but i found some for a great price, they where prepainted but a quick drybrush and repaint and im really happy with them.

012.jpg

prefinish on the left, bit dark and i dont use metal so it stood out a lot, middle one quick drybrush, on the right quick brush over the trim! i did 21 last night! cant wait to get them onto the board but they make it look like its lacking in detail, i have to get onto detailing some of the areas next so i can stick the barrels down.

finally the finished mario pipe, been trying to think of a way to incorporate a pirhana plant and iv got a plan, i'l try make it tonight and get a pic up soon, think the pipe will make a great claim jump obj marker (its not 30mm!) its actually pretty big it matches the pipes of the board not the scale of the figs..

014.jpg

more pics soon :)

Edited by thatnicguy

While I really like the table, I think my favorite thing here is your Coryphee. I had just finished my duet when I saw yours, and now I just don't look at mine the same, haha.

Good work on the doves, too. Personally, I don't like the Dove sculpts, so I've held off on buying them.

I got lucky there, I prefer the more exaggerated less realistic stuff! You'l have to find an alternative, 'now you see it' is like a get of jail free spell! I keep one by Colette just to compensate for tactical errors ;)

I went with the card for a couple of reasons, but your right I'm now finding that I would have prefered durability, part if the inspiration for the board was seeing a stack of card tube for free, it super easy to cut and work with (stick pins through) The main reason is the price factor plus how easy it was to throw together greatly affects the odds of me finishing the board!