Lexington Kentucky Malifaux Story Campaign, Season 1

emissary

Malifaux Season 1 Story Campaign

Dates: starts May 18th and ends July 2nd.

Location: Battleforge in Lexington, Kentucky. Though anyone can play through me through pms.

Cost: $5 at Battleforge in Lexington. Free if you want to play through these forums or through our Bluegrass gamers forums here: http://69.89.31.181/~bluegrb4/forums/viewforum.php?f=59&sid=13a0a4fdec3d6d16bec8967da38844eb

Story Campaign Information: This campaign will be a story driven campaign as we discover the secret of the black soulstone. Game sizes, game quantity and wins do not matter in this campaign for your crews. Everyone that registers at Battleforge and pays the entrance fee will have a folder behind the register at the Battleforge. On Monday of each week I'll put a paper in your folder that will detail any bonuses your masters have as well as your goal for the week. It is up to you to do your goal, record the resuts on the piece of paper and put it back in your folder. I'll do the rest. The results of everyone's goals will drive the new episode's fluff. I will put up a weekly fluff piece on Monday of each week detailing where we are.

Weekly Reporting and Games: Every week on the forums and on the board at Battleforge I'll put up what type of terrain you need to use that week and if you need to use any specific terrain or events. Otherwise play your games and record the results. What I need recorded on the paper:

1) Master that completed your goal (if you completed it with more then one master, you pick one to report)

2) Your opponent's master that you completed your goal against (if more then one, tie it to #1 above)

3) The result of one non-cheatable fate card flip (card suit and value, for example the 13 of crows)

4) The total number of times you completed the goal that week

5) If anything special happened that week and if you completed any random goals I post

All of these will have fields on your weekly sheet.

Random Goals: I'll put up random goals at odd times to do. Some will be for everyone to complete and others will end once the first person completes them. There will be random bonuses handed out for these that will range to one use only small game bonuses to me painting your Malifaux master.

Masters: You are free to use any masters and henchmen to lead your crews. Change as often as you want and play whoever you want and as often as you want. Every week if you complete your goal you'll get a bonus for your master. These will range from stat increases to other small abilities. The goal bonuses are master specific, so if you report Seamus as doing the goal, get a +1 CA for Seamus, if you switch to Kirai, Kirai will not have the +1 CA. However, if you go back to using Seamus later, the +1 CA will still be in effect. Which bonus you get will primarily be driven by the card value in #3 of the goals above. Sometimes you'll get a second bonus that will be only useful in the following week. These will be driven by the suit in #3 above. You cannot lose your prime bonuses unless I say so.

Tournament: We plan on having a 35SS tournament in mid-June. I'll have the official date up soon. It will be tied to the campaign and the fluff but will be open to non-campaign players. All master bonuses will be suspended during the tournament. Campaign players that participate will get a unique master bonus. During the tournament you'll only be able to use 1 master and crew and will only be able to use each scheme once, so use lots of schemes and get used to them. icon_e_wink.gif

Season 1: The story will not be finished at the end of Season 1. Assuming this just doesn't bomb the plan will be to have Season 2 start up for another 6 weeks early August after Gencon. If we want we can have further seasons after that. Some master bonuses will carry forward into upcoming seasons.

Feel free to PM me here or on the BGG forums for more information or any questions.

Malifaux Campaign Prologue

Clarke and Zachary sat at their usual corner table at the Mangled Animal, their favorite pub. It was dark, damp and loud, as they liked it. At home with the usual riff raff and castaways of Malifaux’s society had its advantages as they could do their below the table activities without being noticed. There was treasure to plunder and it was near, if their source was correct.

“Do you think she stiffed us?” the taller man said. Built sturdy and powerful, Zachary rarely needed to mince his words.

They had been sitting at their table drinking warm beer for the better part of four hours already. The crowd around them was starting to wind down and go home. Zachary was worried about missing out on the fine lady sitting at the bar if their source did not show. Red hair, boy did he love red hair. Just needed some more drinks to get up the courage.

“Nah, she’ll be here. Give her time. Worked many jobs with this lady I have.” Clarke stated.

“No more time needed, I’m already here” at soft voice said from behind them. Zachary spun around bewildered while Clarke just smiled and slowly turned around. Behind them stood a short woman who looked no more than twenty while Clarke knew it was at least twice that. Dressed in simple clothing, Kimberly looked small and frail even with the large rifle that slung across her back.

“Good of you to join us.” Clarke spoke slyly, “What was so important that you dragged us from our business?”

She nervously glanced around and sat down dropping her satchel under the table between her feet. She rested a revolver in her hand under the table and composed herself. She then spoke: “Found something. Found something important. Able to bring back something as proof, but need help to go back and get the rest. It’s too big for me to do alone.”

Zachary’s eyes narrowed “What exactly did you find? You better not be wasting my time.”

“I’m not,” she said, “just want you to agree to this before I show you. It won’t be easy but you can’t get there without me. If we do this we could become rich beyond our wildest dreams!”

“Really…” Zachary said sarcastically, “Haven’t heard that before.”

Clarke gave a mean look to his companion then said “We’ve done many jobs before my dear. You know you can trust me and we’ll see it through. What do you have?”

Kimberly took another quick inventory of the room. It was spacious and very dimly lit. Nobody looked to be paying attention to them. She sighed and reached down between her feet for her satchel. Her nervousness caused her to knock it over and a few things to spill out. “Damn!” She hissed quietly to herself. Without panicking she quickly grabbed all that she could and thrust it back into the satchel. She then put her hand into the bag and withdrew a small leather covered object and placed it on the table.

“Gather yourselves” She said. “Don’t bring attention to us.” She then unwrapped the item and both men gasped under their breath.

Clarke and Zachary had seen soulstones before. They had both been soulstone miners before they managed to escape and begin their new careers. However, the soulstone that sat on the table was completely unlike anything they had seen before. Where a normal soulstone was bright, colorful, clear and had a glow about it when charged, this was the exact opposite. It was black as obsidian with a faint swirl within the center. It seemed to draw in the surrounding light around it and darken the area. They felt a chill in the air and both could swear that the black soulstone was the cause.

“What is that thing? I’ve never… I’ve never seen anything like it.” Clarke said, mesmorized by the stone.

“How on Earth… Where do you get it?” Zachary stated bluntly.

“We should get going. I’ll show you. Having it out makes me nervous.” Kimberly stated. With this she wrapped it up and placed it back in her satchel. With that the three stood up, Clarke dropped some coins for the drinks on the table and they cautiously headed for the door.

The three of them walked down the dark alleyways of the city and scanned for potential problems. They had been walking for the better part of two hours. Even in a group, this part of the city was never safe. Recently taken back from the Neverborn by guild forces, they were still wary of an ambush.

“Okay lass, where did you find that and where are we going?” Zachary stated.

Kimberly exhaled and started “I was in a crew awhile back. Doing odd jobs and running small cons. Easy stuff, but enough to keep the belly fed and a roof over my pillow. One day, our crew leader comes back shaking and telling us that he has the find of a lifetime and that we’ll be rich. I was like you and didn’t believe him. He convinced us to go and he was right! Really, really right! He showed us a few of those black soulstones and we knew that he was telling the truth. We were to meet up and go down there tonight to get more, but he underestimated me. I stole the soulstones and his map. “

“You stole them from him and your crew?” Zachary smiled.

“Sure did,” She stated “They were going nowhere. This is for just us and not those small minded fools.”

Clarke then thought out loud “What happens when they find us? Need to lay low.”

“Oh, I wouldn’t worry about them finding you.” A soft, seductive voice from behind them stated. “What really matters is who found you now.”

“What??” Zachary exclaimed as he spun around with a pistol in both hands. His aim faltered as he took in what he was seeing. In front of him was the lovely redhead from the bar standing not 20 feet down the road. All three in their party raised their weapons at the intruder

“You best be leaving little lady. We’re in no mood for company.” Clarke stated. Zachary sighed but did not drop his aim.

“Wait, I know you somehow.” Kimberly stated. “Who are you and how did you find us?

The redhead stated simply “Finding you was easy. Your prior employer told her rather quickly what we needed.” She pointed behind them and as she said that a whip shot out and wrapped itself around Clarke’s legs. He was savagely thrown to the ground. They screamed and spun around once more while the redhead stated “It wasn’t long before that fool broke to him.” With that Zachary was tackled by a giant muscular being and held down.

Kimberly screamed and started to fire at the redhead. Faster then she thought possible the redhead darted, drew a greatsword from her back and cleaved through Kimberly’s gun and most of her right arm. Kimberly wailed and dropped to her knees.

“Please! Who are you? What do you want?” Kimberly moaned as she gripped the stump of her left arm.

“My name is Lilith and these are not for you.”Lilith stated and she ripped Kimberly’s satchel from her. “Those two are my servants. Arlyli and her pet, Forst.”

With the mention of Lilith’s name Clarke, Kimberly and Zachary began to quiver uncontrollably. All immediately knew of her infamous exploits from the wanted posters and bar room legends. The Lilitu and Lelu began to laugh mercilessly at them.

Lilith ripped open the bag and flew into a rage. “Where are the other soulstones! Only half of the missing ones are here!”

“What? they’re there!” Kimberly exclaimed.

Lilith growed at Kimberly, “I do not take kindly to lies, especially from you vermin.” With that she cleaved Clarke’s prone body in two with an explosion of movement. Kimberly and Zachary screamed at the gore that hit them.

“The first one of you that tells me where it is dies without fueling my soulstones. The other dies...badly.” Lilith stated.

Kimberly cried “I don’t know. Please believe me!”

Zachary whimpered “No, that’s not fair. I don’t know. Why do that?”

“Because I can.” Lilith stated simply. She waved to her companions and they tore apart the two in a savage display of brutality. When it was over, Arlyli came over to Lilith.

“What will we do now mistress?” She stated.

“We go back and find what we missed. Those stones must be vaulted once again. The humans know not what they truly are. They will wreck our plans.”

“Yes mistress.” The two stated. What that, the three sunk back into the shadows.

At the Mangled Animal it was closing time. Robyn was sweeping up after a long day’s work when she came across a chance find. Near the table in the corner of the bar was a leather wrapped pouch. She didn’t see it at all as it was so dark. She only located it when her broom hit it. She bent down and opened the pouch. She gasped as 4 black stones fell out onto the floor. She quickly wrapped them up and took off from the building.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to put up Episode 1:

Campaign Episode 1

“These are exquisite! Where did you get them?” Colette Du Bois asked. Around her the market’s nightlife was just picking up momentum. People were coming back from their work and looking to spend some of the hard earned scrip they had earned that day. Rather atypical for Colette, she and her bodyguards wore big, overflowing clothing to both protect their identities from wandering eyes as well as from the rather chilly evening it had turned into.

Her fence replied, “Got them from some woman peddling them on the street. Didn’t believe her at first. But just look at it!”

Colette stared directly at the black soulstone in her hand. She felt like she was falling into the middle of it and momentarily lost her sense of time. She was certainly glad that she was wearing a large coat. She could swear the evening was getting cold much too quick. “You were right to bring this to me. What do you want for it?”

“I don’t suppose a night with Cassandra is out of the question?” He asked with a wide grin.

Behind Colette Cassandra just slyly smiled and stated “You’d need more than two stones to earn that my dear!”

“Fine, fine, but I want double my fee. Plus a VIP night at an upcoming show!” the fence replied.

Colette replied without hesitation, “Done. Lucy, get this man his payment.”

As Colette turned to Lucy suddenly the north end of the market exploded with a shockwave of noise. There was little damage done but the shock of the event sent people scattering. Colette looked around and her fence had disappeared along with one of the black soulstones she was attempting to acquire. She still had the one in her hand, but of the other there was no sign.

Marshall was running for his life down the alleyway. He could feel the hunter behind him, but didn’t want to take the chance to locate it. He saw a crowd of people in front of him at the market and he ran towards them in an attempt to hide amongst them. As soon as he got to them a giant metal feline hit him square in the back and knocked him down. With a grunt he spun around and used every ounce of power he had to defend himself. A bolt of blue electricity shot from his hands and hit the cat square in the side knocking it back into a stall of firearms. He fired a second bolt of electricity at the cat. The bolt hit not only the hunter but the weapons and ammo in the stall around the cat sending everything around it up into a giant fireball. He was knocked back by the blast and landed with a thud. He blacked out for a minute and when he came to he saw a man riding another hunter towards him.

Hoffman looked at the man with disgust. “Do you know how long it will take me to build another of those? You’ve caused quite a mess. Come along now. You’ve got questions to answer.”

Just as he was mentally nudging his nearby guarding to pick up the man, he became aware of other constructs nearby. He looked up long enough to see a pair of lithe, slender figures rapidly advancing towards him and his crew. They looked human, though lacked faces and had long blades where their forearms and hands should be. He turned his crew’s attention to them. He heard a noise behind him and turned to see a cloud of smoke billowing out and a cloaked figure grab the man he was chasing, then disappear again.

“Damn, he’s getting away!” Hoffman said to nobody in particular. “You all, make this quick.” He said to his machines, even though he knew they were already working on it. Then he reached out and gave a command to the two watchers overhead to find their quarry and to follow them.

“Who are you? Why are you helping me?” Marshall asked.

Colette answered, “Who I am isn’t important. What’s important is that a fellow magician needed help from the guild and I’m here. Let’s go!” Colette looked over and saw her two Coryphee in a merry dance of death with a hunter, guardian and their commander, who himself wore what looked to be a machine on his back. She gave them the mental command to begin to fall back now that they were safe. They were too expensive to just leave them to be destroyed by that man. They were faster than just about anything she knew so she had no doubt they’d get away.

Marshall, Colette and the rest of her girls took off down a side alley. As they ran one watcher overhead caught sight of them and relayed the information back to Hoffman. The two constructs they were fighting were proving to be a very elusive foe. They had yet to squarely hit them and every time he had used a soulstone to boost his power he would swear they were doing the same.

Hoffman got the mental image of the fleeing party and smiled. “Got you now” He thought.

Just as the party rounded a corner suddenly the wall to the nearby building exploded. Out walked the biggest machine that Marshall had ever seen.

Colette yelled “Peacekeeper! Everyone back.” As she said that she let loose a shot of magic from her hands that hit the peacekeeper square. However, the peacekeeper’s armor was thick and the shot barely registered to the beast. It kept advancing towards Cassandra and Lucy. Cassandra and Lucy were still prone after being hit by the majority of the fallen wall. Colette panicked at the thought of losing her friends and reached into her pockets for her soulstones. Even more panic set in as she realized that Lucy, not herself, was holding them.

“That was foolish.” She thought. Then she found the black soulstone that she possessed. She grabbed it in her hand to crush it as she did to release the power of all small soulstones. To her surprise it would not crush, but still released its power. Using the soulstone’s power she shot a blast at the peacekeeper and hit it dead on. To her shock the peacekeeper fell sideways but pulled itself up rather quickly.

Colette let out a yell as she realized that the soulstone did not give her as much power as she anticipated from a soulstone. She attempted another shot but her power was drained and the black soulstone was empty. She watched in horror as the peacekeeper fired out its harpoon and caught Lucy square in the chest. It pulled her to it and viciously pulled out the harpoon. Lucy was dead before she hit the ground. Then the peacekeeper turned its gaze to Colette and began to advance.

Suddenly Colette felt a shiver in her arm and realized that the black soulstone was charged once again! With a smile Colette once again drained the soulstone and fired away at the Peacekeeper. She hit it once again in the same spot where she had hit it before. This time the peacekeeper lurched to the side and fell over. The bolt had hit it where it was weakened before. With a groan it fell over and lied still.

Colette looked down at her hand at the black soulstone. “How did this thing recharge?” She thought. “Soulstones don’t recharge themselves at that range.” Before she could even really contemplate what had just happened she was further amazed at what she saw. The black soulstone in her hand was bigger than it was before. It was twice the size as it was when she got it from her fence. She just looked at it in amazement for a second, then went over to Cassandra to check on her.

“What happened?” Cassandra groggily stated?

“I’ll tell you later. Lets get out of here. I must speak with Ramos!” She and Colette then disappeared into a cloud of smoke.

“Wait! You forgot about me!” Marshall screamed as he came out from his hiding place behind the blown out window. He began to wimper as he realized that in the haze of the fight, Colette had forgotten all about him. With that he was hit in the back again and, once again, he blacked out.

Hoffman strode to where his other hunter was standing. Hanging from its mouth was a man with a terrified look in his face. “I told you that you would not get away.” Hoffman stated. “Now where are your friends?”

“They’re not my friends.” Marshall stated. “They left me!”

“They sure did. Time for you to be brought to justice. We’ll get them later.“ Hoffman stated. “Unless you have anything else to add?”

Marshall exclaimed, “Wait, I have something to offer. I saw something you won’t believe.”

“Tell me what you saw and I’ll take it into consideration.” Hoffman said as he sat down on his hunter.

Colette’s fence was several blocks from any noise of fighting when he finally decided to stop and take stock of his surroundings.

“Maybe I’m safe now.” He stated as he looked around. As he said that another loud boom went off and the fence’s last image was a geyser of gore coming out from his chest. With that he fell to his knees and then over.

“Maybe not.” The shooter stated with a chuckle. “I was watching your little exchange with that lass in the market. You had two things that intrigue me. I’m taking one now and I’ll get that fine lady for my collection later.”

With that Seamus reached down and took the fence’s black soulstone and put it into his pocket. He turned around squarely and walked off with the rest of his belles.

Malifaux Season 1 Episode 2

Campaign Episode 2

Leveticus sat in his chair and looked at the black stone in his hand. He had met this girl on the street who was peddling these “wonderful, cold stones” that she had found at a local dive. He could feel the power emanating from the stone from several yards away. He knew that he had to get his hands on them at any cost. He was also pleasantly surprised that the girl was easy on the eyes so he made her his. Looking over at her shamble about in his lab with the other girl that was currently serving him he lamented the loss of that spark in her that made her unique when he took her, but at least she was loyal to him now.

With that thought his mind drifted back to the cold, black stone in his hand. He had already discovered that the stone functioned like a soulstone but had different properties. It did not release as much power as normal with a soulstone when activated but was more ravenous with the amount of power needed to recharge the stone. Most unique about the stone though was its ability to grow in mass when recharged as well as the considerable distance the stone could recharge itself. He already had made several new stones out of the one he got from the waif on the street but the amount of test subjects he needed to keep up production and testing on the stone was becoming considerable.

That in itself was the new problem he was facing. The amount of test subjects he needed now would start to get to the point where it would get noticed evidently. Prior subjects were now serving him as waifs or other, less recognizable, minions but his cadre would grow too big soon. He needed something that could help him as well as help supply a steam of subjects to which there would be no great outcry of loss. Luckily he had come across one uniquely suited to his task. He had already sent word via his apprentice, Alyce and his acquaintance was most interested in his proposition. He looked at his pocket watch and decided it was time to go and get this arrangement finalized.

Perdita looked over at Nino and sighed. “How did you lose him again? He’s as big as several horses!”

“I don’t know. The trail just ends again. It’s like he just disappears into thin air.” Nino replied with a sheepish look. He did not like to fail his cousin, especially on something they all looked to him as the expert.

“He must be here somewhere. This area is ripe with the nephalim and we know how he likes to hunt them.” Francisco added.

Jorge butted in “Then why do we chase him? Shouldn’t we let him kill them too?” Jorge was new in their crew and was a green 16 years old. He showed promise with the rifle but was still very nervous. Tales of the Ortega family was legendary and well earned and Jorge Ortega was keen to prove that he belonged in his cousin’s crew.

“Because Jorge. He not only hunts nephalim but all in his path. His taste for death and destruction is legendary and what he does to those he slaughters should never be mentioned. The being known as Killjoy must be stopped and we’re the ones to get the bounty for him!” Perdita stated.

With that her band mounted their horses once again and headed off towards the countryside in search of their quarry.

Leveticus stood at the top of the structure he was directed to in his report. It was old and he could have sworn it to be the remains an old temple or other building of significance but easily dated from a time before humans settled in Malifaux. He must spend some more time here at a later date to see if he could find anything worth salvaging. Leveticus was no fool though. Even though he had worked with this acquaintance in the past , he knew better then to trust him. He had brought his crew with him and had them scattered about to warn him of any signs that things were outside of what was expected.

As instructed a being was tied to the pillar in the center of the ruins. It was a nephalim of the younger variety that Leveticus had hunted and captured. An offering of good faith to make sure his company would receive him well. After about an hour of waiting suddenly the nephalim at the pillar screeched and exploded into a mist of gore and giblets. Standing over his body hauling chunks of flesh into its mouth stood Killjoy in all his glory.

“Where did he come from?” Leveticus thought. Killjoy’s ability to appear and disappear into thin air was another mystery he’d have to solve one day.

Easily 12 feet tall and weighing several hundred pounds Killjoy was an engine of fury. His grotesque features hid a secret that Leveticus himself knew all too well. Killjoy was himself a nephalim, though why he hated his kind as much as he did was still a mystery. In one hand he had a giant meat cleaver and in the other he had a long chain with a wickedly barbed hook on the end. There was little that could stand toe to toe with Killjoy and come out alive let alone with all its pieces still intact.

“Thank you for the snack.” Killjoy stated briskly, “Now, what is it that you wanted to discuss. You mentioned a way to punish my hated foes even more then I already am. Speak quickly before I tire.”

Leveticus bowed, “Indeed my powerful friend. I am in need of your…unique…talents. I am in need of subjects to power a new soulstone. The body count I’m expecting is too large for my normal work. You, on the other hand, can provide the work that I need.”

“And what do I get out of it?” Killjoy growled.

“You punish their bodies, I’ll punish their spirits. Defeating them utterly is what you want is it not?” Leveticus stated.

“How? What soulstone can do it on the scale I require?” Killjoy asked.

Just as Leveticus was about to reply there was a flash and an explosion. He was knocked back and when he looked up Killjoy was charging the trees yelling the fiercest battlecry he had ever heard.

Perdita analyzed the situation with alarm. They had finally found Killjoy but what they were not expecting was for him not only to have company but for it to be friendly company. She had just thought him to be a mindless monster, not something that would have…friends. Before she could formulate a plan she had looked up and saw papa light a stick of dynamite and throw it at their prey. She was disappointed to see that it had knocked down Killjoy’s friend but seemed to merely make the beast itself very angry.

“Fire! Fire! Take it down before it gets here!” Perdita yelled.

Needing no more encouragement every Ortega opened fire at the beast. Shot after shot rang out. Many hits were scored on Killjoy as he closed by there was no stopping that machine of destruction as he closed. When he was about to hit their line Perdita darted out, rolled to her side and emptied her pistol into the beast’s leg. Kiljoy roared in frustration as he slowed.

The Ortegas all yelled a battlecry as they saw Leveticus’ crew enter the fray. Santiago on the left engaged what looked like two harlots from shady taverns he knew, but looking into their eyes he knew there was anything but the spark of life in them. On the right Papa and Francisco began firing at these crazy mixtures of machines and man. The abominations were small and unwieldy but had an aura of pain around them that sapped their will to fight. Leveticus took some higher ground to survey the battle and see where he was needed.

Quickly Perdita attempted to reload but screamed in pain as a giant hook embedded itself in her shoulder. Killjoy roared again and began to pull on the chain forcing Perdita towards the monster. Nino yelled as he saw his cousin hit and Jorge saw his opportunity and charged in firing his rifle constantly. Again Killjoy roared in pain and began to tumble backwards. Leveticus saw that his ally was in trouble. He took out his black soulstone and drained its power firing a bolt of power at Jorge. Jorge was hit straight in the head and began to tumble backwards. The power of the magic began to warp his body and bits of it formed metal and machinery out of thin air. Nino yelled in anger at the abomination that his cousin had become and then fright as that abomination stood up and began to move towards him.

The stone in Leveticus’ hand hummed at the power from the kill that Leveticus had inflicted and began to grow in his hand. Leveticus allowed himself to smile. His alliance was already paying off!

His amusement with his situation was short lived though. “You old fool! You know not what you have in your hands. You have betrayed me!” Killjoy yelled.

Immediately Killjoy charged at Leveticus; All thoughts of Perdita and her crew forgotten. In his shock Leveticus stood there dumfounded at the turn of events. At the last minute he came to his senses and commanded an undead belle to his left to intercept. Killjoy hit the belle square on and she served little more than a temporary roadblock in his rampage. The undead girl exploded in a rain of parts as Killjoy continued his advance.

Holding her shoulder, Perdita looked up at the situation and saw her opportunity. “Ready your weapons! “Fire as soon as they meet!”

Leveticus smiled just as soon as Killjoy got to him. “I’ll see you soon my friend.”

Killjoy was too blood-crazed to reply and hit Leveticus square in the shoulder with his cleaver. He clove Leveticus in two from shoulders to groin. Just as he was turning around another round of fire hit him. Killjoy roared once again. This time though the firing was constant. After recovering their composure from the unexpected company of Leveticus, the Ortega’s instincts kicked in to provide well practiced constant pressure on their target.

Already wounded from the earlier fighting Killjoy struggled to get to Leveticus’ body but knew he could not. Using his last ounces of energy he got himself out of there. He would be back and both of their betrayal would be dealt with.

“Where did he go?” Nino asked.

“That’s a new trick. We’ll get Killjoy eventually.” Santiago answered.

Perdita snapped “Quiet. You two, take care of Jorge’s body. He died an Ortega and we’ll give him the honor he deserves!”

“Agreed” Santiago replied as he grabbed Nino to tend to their fallen cousin.

Perdita picked herself up and walked to Leveticus’ shorn body. She used a spare soulstone to heal her shoulder wound and looked down at the corpse. “What were you doing here?” She said to nobody in particular. Just then she noticed the black stone in the corpse’s left hand. She bent down to take it and recoiled when she felt it’s cold...

Leveticus sighed. The remains of the waif at his feet were in bad condition. He’d have to get another soon. He was most disappointed that she had not served him long yet was already wearing out. He momentarily wondered if the reason might be her exposure to the black soulstone. He had lost the black soulstone when he was killed by Killjoy’s reversal but luckily had several more back at the lab.

What would set that beast off as he had he wondered. He would get to the bottom of this.

• 3 weeks later...

Malifaux Episode 3

Joshua sat in his cell and looked around. The rock walls were black, smooth and fairly wet. Unlike many other cells he had been in over the course of his long life, this one was extremely well lit. That may have to do with the fact this his cell was more of a pit in the floor then a cell. He looked up at his captor, not with fear but with curiosity. She stood there and stared at him for awhile. He felt that she was trying to discover some truth in him, though he could tell that she still had not found what she was looking for.

“Tell us what you know. What do you know about this?” The lady stated as she held up a black stone in her hand.

Joshua replied to his captor, “I don’t know any more then what I told you already. Why do you keep asking the same question over and over?

“Because you aren’t answering that question. Lies aren’t the answer I’m looking for.” She said bluntly. With that she waved to her companions and they moved to open the door and enter his cell. “Maybe we need to jog your memory some more.”

Her robed compatriots entered the room and grabbed the man roughly and led him to another room. They strapped him down and started their work.

Sonnia looked at the stone in her hand and spoke to nobody in particular, “I will find out what you’re about my little friend. You have many secrets to unlock.”

She looked around at her space. She had already verified that the information that Hoffman had given her from the rogue arcanist was correct. The Stones did indeed multiply themselves when drained and recharged. This was a good source of income for the guild provided that they could keep up production. Even though the stones were of a lesser quality in terms of power then a normal soulstone, the ability to make their own stones and not have to rely on mining was of a great interest to her superiors. The governor-general himself had told her to learn all that she could about the stone and to increase production.

She had already used more than 30 criminals and had made quite a supply of stones. She had begun to test if the stones reacted differently to different people. She had tried women and men, those with high aptitude in magic and those with no ability at all and the young and old. Now she was trying it on some other beings, most notably the Neverborn that they had captured. The stones didn’t seem to care what they were charged with. However, she did notice that the stones didn’t seem to grow randomly. Initially they would just multiply themselves. However, after a few recharges, if they were not separated she noticed that the stones would only grow in certain patterns.

In addition, she had quickly discovered that the stones could be separated after they grew. It was a greater discovery that they could also be joined as well when enough of them were put together. However, they would not just be joined in any way, they would only go back together in the same pattern for which they were split. Added to this, any stones that were substituted for the original stones would follow the same pattern. They were almost like magnets in that they would only connect at certain points. She resolved herself to discover to figuring out why they had this property and what it meant.

She knew that Joshua was holding more information then what he was holding. She had read his writings from an expedition he had attended with several other researchers in the first year after the portal to Malifaux had been reopened. He had mentioned a black stone with the same unique light pattern as these black soulstones possessed in his writings. His writings mentioned how they had been discussed in ancient texts that he had found and was translating. The writings mentioned that they were found at a temple but did not mention where this temple was located or what the soulstones had to do with the temple. She resolved herself to getting this answers from him. With that she turned briskly and headed out the door.

Joshua screamed once more as another blast of power hit him. The attendants at his feet were taking turns hitting him with energy from this machine and then asking him more questions about the stones. It was not time to talk about the stone yet, that much he was sure. However, fighting these people was getting tiring and he was not sure how much longer he could hold out. Just a little longer he resolved himself. If they wanted the information they would have to earn it. Plus he wanted to find out what they knew about the stones as well. The information he would get was worth the pain.

Sonnia stode in with purpose and turned to her attendants, “Anything yet?”

“No mistress.”

“Turn it up to 740.” She told them. With that a larger bolt lashed out and hit Joshua. He writhed in pain and slumped over.

“Why are you so interested in these?” He asked, “They’re not as good as regular soulstones.”

“They’re interesting and hold a secret.” She replied, “I want to know where they came from.”

Joshua sighed, “Why does that matter?”

“It’s another clue to their function. They’re not just soulstones, but they do something else. That’s I’m sure. This is your last chance. Help me now or you’re the next charge in one of these.” She said as she held up the black stone.

Joshua suppressed his smile. “Okay, okay. I’ll take you where I found them. That’s all the information I have.”

Sonnia smiled, “Be ready to leave later today.” With that she waved to the attendants to help him down. She turned and left the room. “Finally, results.”

Later that day Joshua was loaded onto his horse and shackled to it. He looked at the party around him. There was Sonnia and a man with her. Around them were several smaller men all with their faces covered plus other attendants. He counted around 20 people in the party.

“Excellent” he thought to himself. This was a good start to the amount of souls he was going to need. They’d need more, but he would work on it. Soon the next stage of the plan would start.

With that thought, he finally allowed himself a little smile.

Malifaux Episode 4

The bouncing of the coach would make it difficult for a normal person to focus. Ramos was not normal. Though the cabin of his coach was well lit due to the artificial light he had installed, he still could not see much within the black stone in his hand. He had been fixated on the stone since he had received it from Colette. Initially they thought it may be the key to solving his Leviathan’s power problems, given the ability of the stone to increase in size through usage no matter how small it started out. Unless they were utterly flawless, normal soulstones would shatter upon high usage. Even the flawless ones had limits to how much power they could push out. Further testing though revealed something wholly unexpected, hence the reason for this trip.

Through his looking glass Ramos marveled at what he spied. “Incredible.” He whispered to himself. “He must see this.”

Ramos thought back to what led him down this path. Years ago when the portal first reopened after being closed for exactly one hundred years, Ramos had been part of an expedition to a very old ruins of the original inhabitants of Malifaux. Unlike many other ruins he had visited before that and since, this one was unique in that it was underground. Not only was it underground, but the space it took up was vast. His team had only been there for a day studying their find when they were attacked by a large band of Nephalim. Only a few of them made it out.

Now he wanted to go back. The problem presenting itself was twofold. First, the ruins were located somewhere in the formerly Nephalim-held section of Malifaux. Even though it had mainly been reclaimed by the guild, he was certain there were bands of Nephalim still located there. Worse yet they may be in higher numbers underground where it would be easier to hide. Secondly, he didn’t really know how to get back to the temple. It took them a full day working their way through the sewers then the caverns under the city. Even Ramos got lost after spending so much time under the city. Luckily, their guide was one of those that survived the Nephalim assault. Now, years later, Ramos was going to meet with his guide to go back.

With that thought his carriage lurched to a halt. Ramos looked up to see that he had arrived at the Porcine Boar, a popular upscale restaurant in the wealthy area of Malifaux. He stepped out and went into the establishment.

“My old friend how are you?” Ramos exclaimed as he went to their table.

“Excellent, how are you my dear Ramos?” the man replied, “Please sit down. What brings you to me? I haven’t heard from you in years. You’ve been really busy.”

Ramos replied, “Indeed I have. But I found something. Something from our trip that I need your help.”

“Really? What is it?”

“I don’t have it with me. It’s too important. I was hoping to meet with you later after lunch in more private surroundings to discuss the matter. Would you be amicable to such a meeting?” Ramos asked.

“Certainly. Do you want to meet after the meal? I am quite curious to see what you have and my afternoon is free. We can go back to my study as my offices are just down the block.” He said.

“Joshua, my friend, that sounds like a wonderful idea.” Ramos replied.

Joshua replied, “Good. Then it’s settled. Now, what will you be having for lunch?”

Back at Joshua’s study, both men were quite animated. The excitement was palpable in the air as both quickly talked about the discovery.

“This is amazing. Where did you get it?” Joshua asked.

Ramos replied, “one of my associates bought it from an urchin on the street. Got it for a cheap price. Can you believe the luck?”

Joshua spoke, “No, I certainly cannot. Are you certain this is a black soulstone?”

“Absolutely. I was wary at first but look here.” Ramos exclaimed. He held a magnifying glass up to the stone for Joshua to see. “The stone is cold as it should be. Most importantly though, see the light swirl? It’s not one light but 4 distinct lights interacting in a complex pattern. I myself didn’t notice it until I used my highest resolution settings and charted out the pattern. I’m not sure what the pattern means, but the lights have to be the four brothers the texts spoke of!”

“Indeed, I think you’re right!” Joshua stated after a few minutes. “By George I think you’ve found what we’ve been looking for!”

“Do you still have the original texts from the temple? I’ve read your publications on your findings but I’d like to see the original ones to see if we missed anything.” Ramos asked.

Joshua replied, “Sadly, no. Those were lost in a fire a few years ago. The only things that survive were my original notes on the texts.”

“Ah, I had hoped to see them before I went back. Sadly now it looks like we need to proceed quicker.” Ramos sighed.

“Go back?” Joshua stated, “Don’t you remember what happened last time we went?”

Ramos crossed his arms and looked out the window, “Of course I do. I can’t forget. However, I’m certain I’m not the only one that is in possession of one of these stones. It won’t be long before someone connects these stones to your publications. We need to get there first to secure the area. I was just hoping to read the texts so that I have a better understanding of what I’m getting myself into.”

“Ah, I see.” Joshua replied, “Then I’m coming too. You’ll need my help to get there. You can’t keep me from your side.”

Ramos sighed, “I was hoping you would go. Having you along for this adventure would be a welcome sight.”

Joshua asked, “Who else will be going?”

“I will bring along a few of my associates and several of my mechanical creations. Enough so that we’ll be able to defend ourselves, but not enough to attract too much attention. We’ll have to be discreet and go by different routes to get to the opening and form up once we’re there. Do you remember how to get to the opening?” Ramos replied.

“Absolutely.” Joshua stated. “When do we meeting.”

“We meet tomorrow night. See you there.”

“Looking forward to it my friend.” Joshua said as he extended his hand.

Ramos took his hand, “I hate to do this, but I must get going. I have much work to do to get ready for our expedition.”

“See you then.” Joshua stated as he showed Ramos to the door.

As Joshua watched Ramos’ carriage ride off he allowed himself a sly smile.

“Excellent” He thought. “The pieces are coming together. Soon we’ll have enough at the site to power the facility.”

With that he took a book out from a locked chest he had hidden in a locked chest in the wall. He blew off the dust from the top of the book and opened it.

“Now my friend, let’s review your secrets. Secrets aren’t meant to die in a fire or be shared. They’re meant to be kept…”