Rathnard's Marcus Diary

Rathnard

I remember, Myranda having some cool tricks when book 1 was out

Ending an activation as a Razorspune Rattler, then next activation serpent Strike, shift back into Myranda using her (0), using her melee expert shapechange into the Sabertooth Cerberus and get an extra two attacks from three headed, hell she can do the same with the Rogue Necromancy

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember, Myranda having some cool tricks when book 1 was out

Ending an activation as a Razorspune Rattler, then next activation serpent Strike, shift back into Myranda using her (0), using her melee expert shapechange into the Sabertooth Cerberus and get an extra two attacks from three headed, hell she can do the same with the Rogue Necromancy

That is also not Possible...

Melee Expert Actionpoints cannot be used to Shapechenged... only for Melee Attacks...

What you mean is:

End Activation as a Rattler... than have one target in range for serpent strike when its up to you to activate her again... (remember you have to charge the clostest model)...

then use the (0) to return to myranda form. Hit the Opponent (if he is still alive) fpr Melee Expert... then chapechange into a sabertooth (if you have the riught cards... remember chapechange is not that easy)... then hitt Target again für Three Headed...

BUT... Myranda cannot shapechange into a Necromancy because it is to expensive... Myranda can only shapechange into beasts with SS cost of 8 or lower...

After looking at the new V2 Marcus card, nothing seems to have changed.

I too have Marcus, I want to play him a bit.

Is he really gimped? Still?

Unfortunately, And Marcus is one of my favorite masters fluff wise. I feel that its too late for change to his master. Hopefully there will be minions that will help him out more. I would love for him to be a competitive master. But I still play him for fun from time to time, it just gets saddening when I'm wiped by turn 3 or less.

Something I used during the playtest which, RAW, I'm not certain how or if it works anymore:

Use the lawyer to prosecute one of your own beasts so Marcus can cast Alpha on it and effectively give it reactivate.

And howl + the lawyrer's cross examination is a pretty good way to make models fall back. Or if you can make enemies into beasts with the raptors, stare down + any number of Moral duels the beasts can force is awesome.

Also I like Defense on the Cerberus to give him hard to wound 2 before he rushes in.

All in all, I found the lawyer very useful for Marcus. But keep in mind I haven't used either since playtest.

Also from book two I found the raptor to be invaluable in making enemy models into beasts to help free up Marcus's zero actions. This way Marcus could cast both Stare Down and Wild Heart, which is a nasty combo when attacking an enemy beast. And the rogue necromancy is another good, heavy hitter. I like to think Myranda found it wounded on the side of the road and took it home calling it cute.

Anyway, those are my book 2 thoughts on Marcus. All in all I'm happy with where he ended up with the newer models. Hope some of it was useful! Good luck with him, Rath!

Edited by Justin

Well I was planning on having a game yestoday, but we ended up painting for most of the evening. :rolleyes:

On the plus side, my Jackalope is finished and Marcus is almost done. No pink dreads, but a pink flame and he's looking aweseome. Between him and the Jackalope, it's getting me very excited about using Marcus. :D

I have a question about Marcus:

In the rising powers there is a reseructionists minion called "rogue necromancy" and its a beast.

So Marcus kan take it, but then it has a special rule about summoning the model or something like that.

So I'm a little confused can you hire him now or not?

Also I'm thinking of adding some guild hounds, a mechanical rider and a shikome to my crew => is this a good idea (I already know the shikome is a wise choise, but the rider and hounds??)

greetz

Blacktao

I haven't said much but the fact that this thread is around is great! A new player in my area was looking at marcus and I linked him to this thread and he decided to take on the challenge! There is a lot of good stuff here. I cant contribute much but once I see marcus in action be ready for my insights. Im hoppin' on this bandwagon.

Also I'm thinking of adding some guild hounds, a mechanical rider and a shikome to my crew => is this a good idea (I already know the shikome is a wise choise, but the rider and hounds??)

Guild Hounds:

As long as you are not playing aggainst Ressurectionists, I´ll would leave them out. They can not do anything special for Marcus... (or i can´t see it :D).

For their Points you can grap some better tHings I think.

But if you want so put away some Corpse Counter.... you can play these... :D

Shikome: Nothiung to say about... Its awsome... THE best minion with Marcus...

Rider: He has the handicap that he is immune to influence. So you cannot Fearl him. So it is not easy to make him a Beast, that he can use Marcuses Buffs. Only one Raptor could change him.

Or you do not want to play him as a Beast. But whitch Macusplayer does not want his minions to be beasts...? :)

Overall the Rider is a very powerfull minion... i never used him ... becaus i sadly have no miniature for him... :(

Guild Hounds:

As long as you are not playing aggainst Ressurectionists, I´ll would leave them out. They can not do anything special for Marcus... (or i can´t see it :D).

For their Points you can grap some better tHings I think.

But if you want so put away some Corpse Counter.... you can play these... :D

Just looking at their rules, the Guild Hound has some solid stats for 3SS and when paired together, are very fast (silurid-fast!). They're also able to companion with Marcus and other Hounds for some Alpha-striking potential. This is all without considering it's uses against crews that use corpse/body part/blood/ete counters, in which case they're faster ((1) charges) and have some tools for stripping those counters.

The Mech Rider - A Raptor can give it beast if needed and I think it plays well into Marcus' playstyle. Mounted combat will let it slip into and out of combat and the power cycle rules can give it either mobility, melee damage or resiliance as it's needed. Chain spear is handy for some ranged damage and pulling models into vulnerable positions and immune to influence is great for Marcus IMO. His crew isn't likely to cast any Wp-based spells on it and it gives it an edge against Wp-based crews like Zoraida and Hamelin.

Edited by Rathnard

I agree with the rider...

But a Raptor is needed if you want his full potential...

and the hounds... jeah they have solid stats... but they always have to be within 4" of marcus... this is limiting their potential...

And only becaus they are fast... hmmm...

No pink dreads

Whaaat? I am very disappointed. Only a pink flame. Can Rathnard's (unhealthy ;) ) obsession with pink finally be coming to an end?

Or will we see those Pink Guild hounds of doom when the models are released?

Please tell me the rattler is pink? I need my faith in the universe to be restored..... ;)

Marcus and his army in my experience is a very succesful master hunting crew assiinate etc.. Very quick mobile hard hitting models...shikome silurids mechanical rider coryphee duet rogue necromancy .all models people hate seeing hopping at them with an angry marcus and an extra punch from thr jackalope as well..

Whaaat? I am very disappointed. Only a pink flame. Can Rathnard's (unhealthy ;) ) obsession with pink finally be coming to an end?

Not a chance. Some of my models have pink as a minor colour because they'd look crap otherwise (eg. Waldgeist, Bad Juju). I decided Marcus was one of those, and the dark colour scheme helps make the lighter parts (ie. the flame, and the white stick) pop.

EDIT: Perhaps a picture is required. It's taken by my camera using natural light so the quality isn't great. :rolleyes:

MarcusJackalope.jpg

Please tell me the rattler is pink? I need my faith in the universe to be restored..... ;)

He's not painted yet, but I've been planning for the Rattler to be pink for some time. :D

Edited by Rathnard

Your Trials and Tribulation have given me something to shoot for. I too decided I'm gonna try Marcus out as a master (granted someone I was playing with decided they wanted Hamlin so I didn't have to play him now XD) and I will be willing to at least help while I proxy him atm to get a better understanding. Here is what I learned thus far.

He is a very easy master to play toward any objective in the game. With his pool that he can draw from a list can be tailored to anything. I played Plant the evidence and my list consisted (at 25 pts) of 3 Silurids, 2 guild hounds, a jackalope and Marcus, and for the most part I had the initial shock and awe factor against my opponent when I suddenly shot half way up the board and into his deployment Zone. We still tied but it was a close game mainly because I forgot he had bodyguard on Seamus (I could of probably killed him with Marcus). All in all other then me losing the Init at key turns when I could of saved a couple of my Minis Marcus is as I have stated. He is a very stand alone master, It was me being able to tailor my list that was the winning point, He only really helped because he wasn't very target-able for the majority of the game (I was proving that you don't need to kill to win as I had 6 VP by turn 4). I'm gonna be trying Myranda in future games to see how she will work out, along with some random Additions that can be made beasts (Im thinking Steamborgs? idk yet XD). All in all it was a good game and I can't wait to try him some more. I'm already starting an order for him but I don't wanna get anything until I am done painting the models I have already ^^.

Oh crowning achievement of the evening was when I Wild Hearted into a tome and SS'd for another one and got 4 effects :) it made me so happy to see that go off. Free attack at a :fate on the attack with an extra +2 damage and +2 Def is something fun to see.