Adepticon 2011 wrap up, thanks and results

nilus

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As bottom-feeding newbs, I wanted to mention that my son and I had a great time and really appreciated everyone explaining just how their crews were dismantling us.

I thought it was bad enough having Dixon's Victorias go toe to toe with 3 punk zombies and 2 flesh contructs(that I kept bringing back)... (I hate that librarian)

But then Chris introduced me to Pandora... What a PITA...

Despite getting worked bad, everyone was cool and explained what was going on.

Thanks Tom, for clue-ing me into always trying leap for free.

Also, special thanks to Dixon for opening my eyes to the importance of a greater soulstone pool for my Nicodem. What a difference being able to cast reanimates with only low-crows in my hand... (And the vulture-decay was slick too)

I will never play with Nicodem and only 3 soulstones again. :)

In all Kevin and I BOTH learned a lot about our own models this weekend. (And how to properly cast a spell... D'oh!)

Dan, great weekend. Thank you.

Edited by Gruesome

-also would love for you guys to run a team event next year. ;)

I'd like to see a Team event. Nilus and I and the other local henchmen will be getting together soon I hope to start planning for next year.

- I like the idea of having a separate "newb" event, but would NOT have it on the same day as the main tourney. 28 people was already pretty small, I'd hate to see it divided further by 2 brackets or events on the same day.

The Newb event we are thinking of will not detract from the tourney. It's for people who get a crew at the con or a few weeks before the con and don't feel like getting pounded by people who've been playing for years or who don't want to slow down the experienced. We had quite a few Demo people who would have participated if they hadn't been so new. So, this is one event that will definitely happen somehow next year.

I was one of the many Malifaux converts over the weekend. The support for the new players was awesome. My friend and I played the open event on Saturday night and really want to thank the person who took the time to help us. He wasn't a Henchmen or an Adepticon worker. Just a regular player who took the time to walk a couple of rookies through the steps. Im not sure what his name was (Paul?) but he did mention he was on the forums so if you read this thanks, and I hope you won the army with those raffle tickets! I cant wait to sign up for events next year!

I should also thank the Henchman and Mike from CMON for all the help they gave us. Outstanding work.

Edited by othree
Additional thanks

I can try to get some pics and post them up.

There were a bunch of really nice crews there. Overall the painting at this event was the best of the 3 systems I played in that weekend. I think the hobby aspect is more important to some Malifaux players than other games?

No surprise at all that a crew Matt painted pulled out a win. His Fantasy armies were the highlight of many GTs.

Sounds like it was a great weekend. I'll definately try to talk some buddies into making the trip next year.

I was one of the many Malifaux converts over the weekend. The support for the new players was awesome. My friend and I played the open event on Saturday night and really want to thank the person who took the time to help us. He wasn't a Henchmen or an Adepticon worker. Just a regular player who took the time to walk a couple of rookies through the steps. Im not sure what his name was (Paul?) but he did mention he was on the forums so if you read this thanks, and I hope you won the army with those raffle tickets! I cant wait to sign up for events next year!

I should also thank the Henchman and Mike from CMON for all the help they gave us. Outstanding work.

That was indeed Paul. He goes by the handle "Pipeline" here.

:)

I can figure out what VP are but I don't know how TP were or how they were determined. I have no idea what diff is refering too either.

Can I get some explanation?

TPs = Tournament points. Generally 3 for a win, 1 for a draw, and 0 for a loss.

VPs = Victory points. See your rulebook.

Diff = VP Differential. How badly you beat your opponent. Example: You and I play, you win 6-2 on VP. The Diff score is 4.

This doc might help. We used Accumulation scoring from the doc.

http://www.wyrd-games.net/mint/pepper/orderedlist/downloads/download.php?file=http%3A//www.wyrd-games.net/Upload/MalifauxGainingGround2011.pdf

The gist is this

VP = total number of VPs scored in the tourney

TP = You earn 3 points for a win, 1 point for a tie, 0 points for a loss

Diff = Each round Your total VP scored is subtracted from your opponents score. IE Your VP - Your opponents VP. That gives you the diff score for the round(this can be a negative number).

So if Dan and Sean played a game. Dan scores 8 VP and Sean scores 4 VP. Dans VP would be 8, his TP would be 3(for the win and his Diff would be 4(8-4). Sean score in shorthand would be 4/0/-4.

Hope that helps.

I wouldn't read to much into the Sportsmanship scores. Although I think we picked the best sports in both tournaments I think that this style of rating can become bias based on how well someone is playing. I am looking at a different way to rate this next year.

I wouldn't read to much into the Sportsmanship scores. Although I think we picked the best sports in both tournaments I think that this style of rating can become bias based on how well someone is playing. I am looking at a different way to rate this next year.

As a longtime tournament player, I can honestly say I have never seen a better way to do it that has ever made anyone happy.

looks like there was a good showing from NYC, I should try to make it up the the Compleat Strategist for a game sometime (if i ever leave my hobby oubliette in Brooklyn).

Well done guys!

Come on down! I would just say post on our message boards ahead of time to make sure people will have their crews that night.

No surprise at all that a crew Matt painted pulled out a win. His Fantasy armies were the highlight of many GTs.

Sounds like it was a great weekend. I'll definately try to talk some buddies into making the trip next year.

thanks man, I appreciate it.

I would definitely try to come next year if you can. This year was the best hobby experience I have had in probably the last decade.

I just wanted to say I had a great time. I think everything ran smoothly. I played in both the Brawl and scrap and it was fun. It was my first time playing outside my gaming group, which is only 2 other people with only 8 or so games actually played. I played Dixon in the Brawl and he cleaned my clock pretty well, but also gave me same great pointers on my crew.

The scrap had many more experienced players and it showed. Hopefully we can get some more events next year.

Hello everyone!

This is Dixon Tiru, and I want to thank everyone in the TO's group for a great tournament. It was my first time at Adepticon and did not expect the number of games (and lack of sleep) that it entailed.

To the guy's that were asking for my crews, I will post them in the Battle Report forum and hope to get most of the info correctly. All I can say is that in my list making I decided to make them on the spot. So I had a different list every round.

Dan thanks for all the fun times, and next year I need to get a rematch with Zee. Although this time around I won't make the same mistake of not looking at what turn we are in >.<

EDIT PS

We just drove about 15-16 hours so I will probably won't respond for a while...

A Newb event always goes over well, to try and get new players involved without making them feel like they got squashed by the veteran players who really want to win the tournaments. I would suggest holding the new guy event earlier in the weekend so that those new players could still participate in the bigger event if they feel confident enough by then.

Still, 28 players for a first time tournament at a con which has never featured Malifaux before....that's pretty dang solid, IMO!

So if Dan and Sean played a game. Dan scores 8 VP and Sean scores 4 VP. Dans VP would be 8, his TP would be 3(for the win and his Diff would be 4(8-4). Sean score in shorthand would be 4/0/-4.

Ummmm, I think you entered the scores incorrectly in that madeup scenario. Maybe got them backwards ;). Actually, I'm hoping next year the two of us can play each other in one of the tourneys. Hopefully we can get enough Henchmen to volunteer where you and I can both play in one.

The problem we ran into this year at Adepticon is I don't think Malifaux is the biggest draw for people. I think its one of the reason our Brawl tourney was only 8 people. It was on Saturday and was against a lot of other great games. I didn't want to make people choose between Malifaux and the other big two that where there. Next year I might though and see what happens.

Next year I need to sit down with my staff and discuss when we want to run what. I almost am leaning towards running the hard core experience player match on Friday during the day, when both the players and the judges are fresh.

I do know that for sure I am capping any Sunday events at 16 people. And it will be a much more casual event.