Adepticon 2011 wrap up, thanks and results

nilus

Good News Everybody,

Adepticon is over and I actually got some sleep last night :). It was a great 1st year showing for us and we had a great time.

Highlights

1) Friday Nights Malifaux panel was insightful. I will let others fill in all the info we got but we did find out something that will be in the next book....****

2) Even though no one really understood the rules(Here is a hint, there were not many)...Everyone seemed to love the Cake Match

3) We ran a huge number of demos all around the convention and we had open play going on in The Lilac room going early into the morning every night

4) Both Tournaments went well and we got a lot of good feedback on the events for the future.

Thanks

1) Thank you Drew, Dave, Zee, and Nathan for coming up to check out the con. Zee, I want a rematch.

2) Thanks to our sponsors for all the prize support

Wyrd Games

Battlefoam

CoolMiniorNot

thebrokenforge.com

3) Thanks to all the Adepticon staffers who helped put this all together and put up with all my questions and demands. I hope we were not to much of a pain in the ass

4) Thanks to Rich Nelson, Dennis and all the rest of the people that lent us terrain for our events. Your stuff was so much nice then mine.

5) Thanks to my helpers. These guys and gals ran demos day and night, hosted open play, helped judge events and ran and got me food or drink when I looked like I was gonna pass out. If I had to do this alone I would have killed someone by Friday morning :)

Sean "Shadowopal" Overton

Dave "slartibartfast" McGuire

Bill "Nix" Anderson and his posse

Tom "semanticDM" Bowersox, his lovely wife whos name I never managed to remember and your posse

Michael "Spoon" Matteson and all the guys and gals over at CMON

6) Finally Thank you to all the people who came out to play Malifaux. I hope you all had as good of a time playing as we did hosting.

Results

40 Stone Brawl Results

Dixon Tiru 1st Place Brawl

Dan Heigl 2nd Place Brawl

LeShawn Allen Sportsmanship Brawl

Sean Overton Best painted 2 masters Brawl

35 Stone Scrap Results

Dixon Tiru 1st scrap

Andrew Bosler 2nd scrap

Kevin Kucharski Sportsmanship Scrap

Matt Birdoff Best painted Scrap

The full results for all players are linked below

https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/4saoDDsgsPcd21

Edit: Picture links

http://s548.photobucket.com/albums/ii325/nilus2k/Adepticon%202011/Painting%20Contest/

http://s548.photobucket.com/albums/ii325/nilus2k/Adepticon%202011/Panel/

http://s548.photobucket.com/albums/ii325/nilus2k/Adepticon%202011/Tourney%20pics/

Edited by nilus

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the 23 players:

5 Outcasts (average place 6, highest place 1)

6 Neverborn (average place 10.5, highest place 2)

4 Guild (average place 11.75, highest place 3)

4 Arcanists (average place 16.25, highest place 8)

4 Resurrectionists (average place 17.75, highest place 13)

From those numbers the only thing that is a shock is the vikys doing so well. Dixon must be one hell of a player. I figured res and arcanist would end up at bottom and guild in the middle. Neverborn performed well even if they did not top the list.

With the infinite combo broken and hamelin missing both his totem and the ratcatcher i dont think he was realy viable for the tournament. Will be interesting to see how he does at gencon tho.

Edited by tadaka

Well here are a few more details

Dixon was running Vikis with Freikorp for both Tournies. He was one hell of a player. His last game was against Bill Anderson and was pretty fun to watch

The Brawl tourney almost ended up as a beginners match. We had a lot of new players so results of that one probably skew a bit more towards easier crews.

The scrap had a lot of really good players and some new players. Since we were on a very tight schedule at the 90 minute mark I need to stop all play immediately. I know off one table where a minute longer would have changed the entire game.

One big thing I plan to do in the future is have experience requirements for some tourneys. That way I can group the beginners together and the experience players together and make it more fair for both sides.

Edited by nilus

From those numbers the only thing that is a shock is the vikys doing so well. Dixon must be one hell of a player. .

?!

Really? Different area's metas are really fascinating to me. Locally, if I'm playing and you see me bring out the Viktorias you can typically assume I mean to beat you. In everything I play, you'd see Pandora, Lilith, and Viktorias as my go-to crews. Not that I'm better than anyone else, but you know how you have those crews that you're pretty confident with? I don't have anything that I'm afraid of facing with Viktorias.

I assumed everyone's afraid of them.

Now that I have access to Librarians I'm almost afraid to pull them out as it just seems unfair.

That's awesome vikis topped. Not too many people run it were I play. Its litterally just me, my sister, and one more girl. We 3 are the only Vic players, I've always thought they had potential, I've just fell in love with the dreamer. Might have to get a few more games in with the vikis. ;)

I am the only local player who has used them and I found them boring as all hell. Not saying they are not good just boring. I traded them off before I gained any real skill with them but they felt squishy to me. Now the corp on the other hand I view as a very solid squad and if it was just a corps crew with a vik master I can understand it more. I was thinking a more out of the box type vik list.

Hmm...I'm getting an 'unknown error' when I click on the link for the full file. :(

Might just be my firewall here at work though.

I'm interested to see how the guys from Cinci ended up doing. But if the highest place Arcanist was only 8th, then I know that's the best for at least one of those guys. :) Still, sounds like an awesome weekend.

Is Adepticon always the first weekend in April? I may have to plan on attending next year. I have friends in the Chicago area, and the wife likes traveling up there too, since it's not too far away for us.

I am the only local player who has used them and I found them boring as all hell. Not saying they are not good just boring. I traded them off before I gained any real skill with them but they felt squishy to me. Now the corp on the other hand I view as a very solid squad and if it was just a corps crew with a vik master I can understand it more.

Yeah, I've seen these kinds of lists run pretty effectively in our local group. Use the corp to soften up targets and force your opponent to close in, and then the Viks can swoop down on top of them. Especially nice because now you can have things like the Trapper, i.e. mini-Hans, but for 2 stones cheaper. The Freikorps really fill out the Viks crew.

Poor Dixon,

What a weight it must be to carry the burden of knowing that he has not truly claimed victory, what with another player also having a perfect record. I dare say I shall challenge him for the crown next we meet...

But seriously though, straight VP scoring is FUBAR. By any reasonable standard, Dixon beat me fair and square by both VP and differential, but those should be tie-breakers, not the absolute score. Coming in fourth after winning every single game, and the guys in 2nd and 3rd having LOST games just doesn't make any sense.

And I also ran Viks, without a single Friekorpsmen, cuz I'm just a baller like that ;)

Wow that does seam odd. I am not a fan of vp being the main way to score for the whole thing. I think win loss should be first and VP being a tie breaker. Main reason being Is friends both 8 capping points when playing.

Well heck if you did so well with viks we should just nurf them :) JK

Edited by tadaka