'Weather forecast to blame' for Brisbane flood

Hi all,

Sorry to divert attention from one disaster back to one that is more 'localised' (for me anyway)... but I found this an interesting topic:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/8968686/seqwater-blames-weather-forecasts-for-brisbane-flood/

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2011/03/08/3157741.htm

Basically, SeqWater have performed a 'self-analysis' and concluded that they are NOT to blame for failing to release water prior to the floods which tore through Brisbane, QLD in Australia earlier this year.

Not only did they submit a report (totalling 1080 pages, 5 chapters) denying it, they also blame the Burea of Meteorology for not indicating sooner that they should follow procedure and release water from their dams...

WTF?

Meh, just more passing the blame. :rolleyes:

I didn't know you were in Brisbane. I've recently moved over here myself (Given the correlation and my past association with floods, I'm surprised SeqWater didn't blame the flooding on me. ;) ). :D

Im not in Brisbane... Im further north... think between Cairns and Townsville...

However, its amazing how much this boils down to political reasons.

Recently, Brisbanites experienced HUGE Water Rate increases, and they felt that if they released more than the 'manual' recommended that there would be public outcry... despite the fact that the Wyvenhoe Dam was DIRECTLY IN THE PATH OF KNOWN FLOOD WATERS...

Go figure... the State and Federal Governments are screwing this country into the mud.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, when they predict a storm here, especially a winter storm, on the eastern side of the big water, Lake Michigan, they like to blame the lake! First, if it looks as if we may get a snow storm, panic ensues on all the local media. We have had "storms" touted as Snowmagedden I and II and Snopocalypse I so far this year. If we get snow we are told it is because of the warm water of the unfrozen lake. Called "lake effect". If we do not get snow we are told the temperature of the lake effected the movement of the storm. . .Either way, it is the Lakes fault.