Tournament - Leeds UK - 7th May

mythicFOX

Well, that was a thoroughly enjoyable day's gaming. I had 3 cracking close games, learnt a lot about each crew I played and all three opponents were fair and fun. Can't ask for much more than that (well, maybe a win would have been nice!).

Kudos to Mythicfox and his glamourous assistant for organising and running the event and the Leeds gaming centre for providing a load of excellent tables, unfortunately I ended up on the only non-Malifaux table twice, so I just wish I'd got to play on more of them!

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah - cheers guys, 2 wins and a loss so I can't grumble, plus came away with lots of motivation to paint the pandora crew on my desk ;) and also ponderings over a Lillith crew (she's a beast)

Cya at the next one - and don't forget Toy Soldier </shameless plug>

Any chance of the results being posted up?

Yep, I had a blast.

Thanks to MythicFOX (and his glamourous assistant!) for a very well run tournament (even if the butty shop did throw a bit of a spanner in the works), and thanks to the people I played against for 3 excellent games.

Should also say thanks to Ratty for the tournament software, which seemed to work perfectly.

So, when's the next one?

This was my first Malifaux tournament and I had a really fun day.

The first game was against Mitch and his Perdita crew (the one with the dinosaur) and I managed to pull a 6-0 win out of the bag. I managed to weather the hail of bullets from Nino and Perdita by hiding in the woods, which worked well until Perdita followed me in there. The punk zombie did me proud though by cutting her down with a flurry (after he remembered he actually had two swords and not just one). My favourite moment from the game was when Misaki took out one of my Rotten Belles then looked greedily at the treasure counter that was Mitch's objective, only to get skewered on her umbrella as her Slow to Die action.

Mitch's crew looked great, and he later walked away with the Best Painted Crew prize. They had incredible detail on the bases, so I realise that's where I need to improve if I want to win Best Painted next time :-)

In high spirits from my first result, my next game was against our very own Ian (Serigala), which has been a while coming as we've never managed to get a game against each other despite him guiding me through my first ever Malifaux game at the start of the year. I have to hand it to Ian, who played his Victorias crew really well and managed to wipe pretty much my whole crew from the board within 4 turns. I underestimated the damage output of his masters, and got sliced to pieces for it. Next time I'll be spreading out more to reduce that trigger's effectiveness! Ian won 8-1, and there went my hopes of placing in the Top 3! :-(

The 3rd and final game was against Jo (Neverata) and her compact but deadly Lilith crew. With only 5 models in her crew I thought the game was in the bag when she flipped Reconnoiter for her strategy - I only needed to kill two to stop her. However when those models are Lilith, 2 Mature Nephilim and the self healing Lilitu & Lelu twins it turns out killing just 2 isn't that easy. Again my crew was destroyed completely by Turn 4, and I'd only managed to kill one Nephilim. There was a tense moment involving Black Blood and Seamus stood 1.0001 inches away on 1wd (he thankfully survived after David the referee ruled that he was *just* out of range. Overall it was a really fun game, despite me coming out losing 0-8.

So, it started off well and then went downhill, but even while losing I had fun.$$

The eventual winner was a guy called Craig, who I believe has also won the last two tournament held down at Maelstrom Games. I think he's the one to watch for next time, and I know he gave Ian a kicking with his Collodi crew in the 3rd round (with his 2 Stitched Together taking 10 actions each(!) in a single turn - using a combo that sounded, in fairness, utter filth lol!)

I'm going to put a couple of posts about the day on my blog over the next couple of days - including some pictures that Charlotte my girlfriend/official photographer was able to snap for me :-)

Thanks again to James for organising this and congrats to everyone that won something!

I'm now looking forward to the upcoming local league and a couple of other tournaments that Jo mentioned are lined up for later in the year :)

Mike

I've posted the results in the first post of the thread. Note I'm going to go back and add everyone's forum names to the list when I recover the sheets (left them at the store).

Really glad people enjoyed the day. The atmosphere was great and I'm sure we'll be doing this again in the not too distant future.

Well done to all those who walked off with prizes, including £140 of store credit and spot prizes. What more could you want for £7.50!

I also wanted to give special mention to Dave (Kaine) who runs malifaux.info and built most of the amazing terrain we had on the day. He spent a lot of time helping me out in the run up to the event and on the day. Thanks Dave.

Thanks to Craig for letting us use his store for the event;

Leeds Wargaming Centre

TO software made running the event on the day a breeze. I highly recommend this for anyone running an event.

Also thanks to Ratty, his

Thanks again everyone and no doubt I'll see you all again soon.

Must say it was a fantastic event! Everyone was happy and it was such a better environment to other tournaments I have been to! The terrain was great and the prizes were spectacular! :-D

A Big well done to James for running the event! Craig, Paul and Rob for there generalship and then the fabulous Jo for her good sporting nature! I am surprised I finished so high up!

Can I just ask what the headings 'TP' 'Diff' and 'VP' stand for and represent?

Tournament points. Victory points scored (So your vps from the 3 games). And VP difference (So your VPS minus the VPS you gave away) :)

Thankyou very much James. Don't feel like I deserved to win, not sure how I did but I'll lay it all down to luck!

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

You're one hell of a competitor Craig. One of these days we're going to get a game in. :D

@ Stern - just to add to what Craig put, TP are 3pts for a win and 1pts for a draw. Rankings and Pairings were done on TP with Diff and VP tiebreaking.

I must not be bitter.

I must not be bitter.

I must not be bitter.

I must not be bitter.

I must not be bitter.

I must not be bitter.

I must not be bitter.

I must not be bitterrrrgghh...

1 more minute...just 1 more...:irked:

Eh....I had three great games, so I can't complain too much. Cheers for a great tournament James.

(Just living up to my nickname as usual...)