Pitch your Fifth Master ideas.

An outcast master that can work with the victorias in brawls, without hampering their crew selection unduly.

I would say magic based, maybe with some sort of opponants soul stone draining effect would be a cool twist, giving them a dark edge.

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Ratty. I'm reading that Spring Heeled Jack Wiki and it's actually pretty cool. You're right too, he does fit in well with Malifaux style characters. Though, I could see him as being a minion rather than a master.

Still, it's cool to dig random stuff like that up. I have never heard of him before today (could be that I'm only 24 and from the US lol).

Im a bit of a pocketist (just invented the word.) when it comes for thematics, as such I hope oriental remains a res theme and native americans etc remain an arc theme (not just because of bishop, but miranda, wendigo, mal raptors etc. all support the vibe) I always hear how werewolfs are born to death but...miniwise sure, rulewise not really... tough it then should be an arc thing..not necessarily wolves, just the inner beast part...

travelling troupe, yes please, but not as a master, but rather a henchman and special forces.. mostly arc to supplement that theme there (using constructs but also marcus' doing... biological experiments.)

tough also interesting is spreading the special forces troupe around (undead bendy twins that also can count as belles and have the arachnid ability, pyromancing athlete(s) that are also showgirls, knife throwing ortega family member in guild, big neverbornish freakish brute and then the henchman and some *commoners* that are in the outcast list and can recruit the others !)

always agreeing on the classic goth themes, tough most rather as individual characters than masters :

- dr Jekyll/mr Hyde (dunno...maybe marcus goes that route ? the small part in book 2 I got visions as him all Hyded up with his inner beast running with the beasts.)

- more island of dr.moreau.. mcmourning and marcus wants that

- Invisible man... all cowboyed up :)...rules and miniwise tough cookie tough

- Sweeney todd, yes yes! res please (like the workingclass theme there)

- a Butcher , res please

oh and :

102776-12.jpg

one of my favorite japanese videogame character designs.

anyone with clocks will do..I like clocks...

This is a bit of a twist on the native american idea thats floating around (and am planning to use as an adversary in a roleplay);

COLOPHON

A mining construct that has developed rudimentary intelligence and has escaped into the wilds where he is worshipped by feral gremlins. Over time he has become a walking icon to the tribe (like a walking totem pole).

In game he uses a mix of technological and shaman abilities while around him run a group of indian-style gremlins.

This is a bit of a twist on the native american idea thats floating around (and am planning to use as an adversary in a roleplay);

COLOPHON

A mining construct that has developed rudimentary intelligence and has escaped into the wilds where he is worshipped by feral gremlins. Over time he has become a walking icon to the tribe (like a walking totem pole).

In game he uses a mix of technological and shaman abilities while around him run a group of indian-style gremlins.

Forgot to mention he has (in rpg) a lot of toughness but is slow, very slow. Most of his abilities are support in nature

Im a bit of a pocketist (just invented the word.) when it comes for thematics, as such I hope oriental remains a res theme and native americans etc remain an arc theme (not just because of bishop, but miranda, wendigo, mal raptors etc. all support the vibe) I always hear how werewolfs are born to death but...miniwise sure, rulewise not really... tough it then should be an arc thing..not necessarily wolves, just the inner beast part...

travelling troupe, yes please, but not as a master, but rather a henchman and special forces.. mostly arc to supplement that theme there (using constructs but also marcus' doing... biological experiments.)

tough also interesting is spreading the special forces troupe around (undead bendy twins that also can count as belles and have the arachnid ability, pyromancing athlete(s) that are also showgirls, knife throwing ortega family member in guild, big neverbornish freakish brute and then the henchman and some *commoners* that are in the outcast list and can recruit the others !)

always agreeing on the classic goth themes, tough most rather as individual characters than masters :

- dr Jekyll/mr Hyde (dunno...maybe marcus goes that route ? the small part in book 2 I got visions as him all Hyded up with his inner beast running with the beasts.)

- a Butcher , res please

oh and :

102776-12.jpg

I would love a time clock based master or henchman. It would be cool to have far more deck control, discard a card look at top three and do what you want with them. Do this at any one point in the game, just a zero action that needs to activate before could use it.

Perdita is the female version of the invisible man.

I think an interesting idea for a crew would be the spirits of the last group to hold out on the malifaux side of the breach when it first closed.

Neverborn killed them all but the magic from the closing of the breach caused their spirits to not pass on. Could have Kirai go close to the breach and wake them up by mistake. When the spirits of dead guild become visible to everyone there is a panic and she has to run. She never really controls them so they are not directly part of her crew. Commanded by guild officer Bowie they were loyal troops in life and now spend the afterlife serving the guild.

- a Butcher , res please

oh and :

102776-12.jpg

i think an idea of a master who deals with time would be cool. and having minions revolving around different time eras, like an old school samurai or a soldier from the far future ect.

also kudos to the artist who drew the picture.

For any of you who have seen the Prestige. I think another cool master would be (another) mad scientist sort of guy who runs around and places beacons on the table. And his creations would be able to snap back to a beacon within range as a (1) action. It would be a fun sort of hit and run that doesn't involve bury/unbury.

Haven't read the whole thread so this have proberbly been suggested, but, I've always thought that some type of religious crusading crew for the Guild would be cool, preachers and the like (holy handgrenade?).

The cirkus/carnival idea would be cool for either neverborn or outcasts, the indian shaman idea is also cool.

A Jekyll and Hyde theme would also be very awsome.

That's one of the cool things about Malifaux, so many options and ways to go with it.

the zelous preacher has been brought up-

I realy like the idea of using the Carnival to inhance the Arcanist faction- Ring Master

a knife thrower, "Strong Man" and a tight rope walker with some flight/float skills

On the flip side, Lobostele and I were chatting about a ballance between the West and East versions of characters

why not an Ottman(Arabian) styles Vizar (wizard) with Djiins (Genie) and Dust Devils Hassin and Turks

I really want a circus/carnival crew (thought I would be first but great minds think a like)

General thoughts

They would be outcasts as traditionally they have never been fully accepted by the general population.

Master

The Ringmaster

(Think the one from Dumbo but mixed heavily the stereotype Victorian villain with the moustache that put ladies on rail tracks)

Slow movement but higher willpower and cast

Talents/Spells would be

Giving bonuses to other Circus members (Knock'em dead)

Reducing the cards in the other players hand (Admission with no refunds)

Being able to allow circus members around him the ability to use soul stones to heal (The show must go on)

Allowing one circus member to activate after another (And now presenting...)

A lure type spell (Front row seats)

A spell that courses slow (Mesmerising Oratory)

Obey

Totem

The Palm Reader/Mystic Fortune Teller

(The stereotypical old lady in lots of gowns with a crystal ball)

Talents/Spells

Can give self + flip or opponent - flip on initiative (Gaze into the crystal ball)

Can draw one extra card but must then discard a card (I can see the future paths)

A target gets + flip or - flip to a type of test/duel (I see a soul in search of answers)

Minions

The Strong Man

(The large animal skin clad, moustache donning gentleman)

The melee beat stick

Talents/Spells

Long reach melee strike with + flip for damage(hugh barbells with balls on the end)

Whirlwind attack (Large spinning top)

Acrobats

(A family of performers that work together in matching outfits Dad, Mum, Son, and Daughter)

Talents/Spells

Companion to each other

Can combine to do extra actions, and/or get bonuses (The Amazing, High Flying Giuseppe’s)

$$$$$$$$$$$$

(Think more Stephen Kings IT, I would want little children to be scared)

Talents/Spells

Prank Flower - Ignores Armour short ranged (Smell my Flower)

Hand Buzzer - Melee, Inflicts Paralyzed on target (Put it There)

Can summon more $$$$$$$$$$$$ (Send in the $$$$$$$$$$$$)

Do damage to another $$$$$$$$$$ to inflict Slow/Paralyzed (Slapstick)

The Mime

(The classic French mime)

Talents/Spells

As an area effect models cannot use spells(Silence)

Copy a Talent/Stat of opponent model but would be at very close range(Mimic)

Can inflict Paralyzed on a model but gives it +4 armour (Invisible Box)

Can drag an opponent towards it (Invisible Lasso)

Must use a Soul Stone to heal as its Slow to Die (Play Dead)

Slow to Die (Dramatic Death)

Other ideas but need some thinking time and then I need to flesh out the others

Knife throwing team

Juggler

Bearded Lady

Amazon Princess

Dog Faced Boy

Sabertooth Tamer

Dancing Bears (but malifaux bears)

Bryan

How about a Railroad Baron, perhaps the man who arranges the train back and forth through the Breach. I see him as being Guild, but there are obviously links to M&SU. His minions would be train drivers, engineers and maybe bankers and stockbrokers and the like.

To oppose him, the Outcasts could get a gang of train robbers, like the Hole In the Wall gang from Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.

I got three crews for each

1) guild

1.1) somesort of spirit and or nightmare hunter

So far all of the guild masters have made to against a certin type of crew so an anti spirit/nightmare would be a good direction for them to go next

1.2) Internal investigations aka the anti guild, guild crew

1.3) a Guild necromancer that summons undead Neverborn, so it's not 'illegal'

2)Arcanist

2.1) a Robin hood type crew

2.2) an elemental summoner

2.3) a rogue guild guard crew

3) Resserectionist

3.1) a rogue deathmashel, that has become a necromancer

3.2) a rogue MS&U mining leader that uses undead to do job too dangous for humans

3.3) a nightmare based crew

4) Neverborn

4.1) a rouge peacekeeper as a construct master, possible able to work with Hoffeman

4.2) a shaman like spirit master

4.3) a flying Nephilim master able to breather fire, and has crew of large dragon like Nepilim

5) Outcasts

5.1) steampunk biker gang

5.2) outcast Ortaga's (part of the family that disagreed with Perdeta, and have left the family)

5.3) Neverborn spies that spent too much time with some humans and have grown attached to them

Edited by Sliver Chocobo

I would love to play Free Masons Crew. A time manipulating crew who reactivate their own minions and slow the enemy, change activation orders and Ini. The Grand Master of the Lodge is the Master and his totem is a big "Apparatus Tempus" with 13th Digits and a big pendulum. As a henchman the crew have Ripper Jack...a desperate serial from behind the breach. No one knows why he serve the Lodge but he does.

I dont realy know for what fraction this crew can be but I tend to guild or arcanist.

Another henchman/special forces idea: A mechanic leading a unit of advanced clockwork gunslingers. I think running them as outcasts would be the most flexible, but I can see the group fitting into arcanists or the guild too.

I'm not sure what special abilities they could have that wouldn't overlap on to the convict gunslinger or the gunsmith, but they would definitely synergize well with Ramos and Hoffman as well as look cool. Buffing/debuffing seems likely. Setting up a coordinated attack using the gunslingers to alphastrike also sounds probable.

I'm imagining a lithe, almost spindly, robot with four arms dressed as a cowboy. Three poses; one with its hands poised to quick-draw, the second with four guns extended to blast away, and a third with two guns drawn and the free hands fanning the hammers.

An idea I have had recently, is a master based on a mobile tree. Imagine similar to a waldgeist but bigger and more like a tree.

I would have it be a Neverborn, as it would be the manifestation of Malifaux fighting back against the intruders.

Totem wise I envisage spawning saplings, similar to Zoraida making dolls. They can link to a model to give Regeneration 1, akin to Grave Spirit giving armour.

To encourage waldgeists being used, I was thinking either a reduction, or taking them increases your cache, akin to the Dreamer. 2 base plus 1 per waldgeist perhaps?

I see it being more support/control based, fighting only as an emergency.

If someone has suggested something similar, then I apologise, as it is up to 10 pages now ;)

An idea I have had recently, is a master based on a mobile tree. Imagine similar to a waldgeist but bigger and more like a tree.

I would have it be a Neverborn, as it would be the manifestation of Malifaux fighting back against the intruders.

Totem wise I envisage spawning saplings, similar to Zoraida making dolls. They can link to a model to give Regeneration 1, akin to Grave Spirit giving armour.

To encourage waldgeists being used, I was thinking either a reduction, or taking them increases your cache, akin to the Dreamer. 2 base plus 1 per waldgeist perhaps?

I see it being more support/control based, fighting only as an emergency.

If someone has suggested something similar, then I apologise, as it is up to 10 pages now ;)

Just had visions of the trash talking apple trees from the Wizard of Oz and the evil tree monkeys from Tomb Raider Cradle of Life.

Cant help but think that the model should be called the "Tree Meister" (man I have watched "Drinking out of Cups" way to much).

Edited by Omenbringer