Women in Malifaux

Bartali

Ok ok , this post is getting far to serious! Malifaux does not objectify women in any way. Me BEING A WOMAN can safely say that, as I bet if you go around on a saturday night, MOST women would be dressed in less than Nekima (in rising powers). So can we let up on this now? Its rather depressing! I think the women are amazing, and even I was drawn to Lilith! Now Pandora doesn't look racy in any way to me, so maybe if the scantily clad women offends people, they could play with her. And what does it matter if the women are extremely beautiful? My personal fave is Zoraida. :) (because her boobies are fully out) mwhahhaha! makes me laugh that we can talk about objectifying women without mentioning her... :D

• Replies 273
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok ok , this post is getting far to serious! Malifaux does not objectify women in any way. Me BEING A WOMAN can safely say that, as I bet if you go around on a saturday night, MOST women would be dressed in less than Nekima (in rising powers). So can we let up on this now? Its rather depressing! I think the women are amazing, and even I was drawn to Lilith! Now Pandora doesn't look racy in any way to me, so maybe if the scantily clad women offends people, they could play with her. And what does it matter if the women are extremely beautiful? My personal fave is Zoraida. :) (because her boobies are fully out) mwhahhaha! makes me laugh that we can talk about objectifying women without mentioning her... :D

I would like to go objectify Datsu-ba now.... Also in for a bit of Onryo loving :)

Hmm.. Something to notice is that most of those females, that some consider to be 'cheesecake', were released a long time before there was any such thing as 'Malifaux'. Back when Wyrd was merely producing miniatures for people to paint them, pretty girls sell better than the less fortunate ones and the miniatures (save a few) weren't connected by any story- og timeline - making it all fit together the way they did is surely nothing short of a masterpiece..

I think the most "equal" miniature game I've played is Infinity, and even there the power armored females have high heels.

Except for the super cheesecake models you'll find once in a while.. The Moira in the Bakunin starter has put me off from buying that box entirely..

She's often watched me paint, and expressed an interest in painting after watching me paint my nth Deathwing Terminator for an upcoming 40k tourney - she did ask though "Where are the female ones ?". I suggested Malifaux due to the strong female characters, and interesting fluff. As mentioned previously though, on flipping through the rule book she's been put off by the art and minis.

Maybe Malifaux is just not her thing then. There are many type of players, male of female, with many different tastes. Around here people usually have a love-it-or-hate-it kind of relationship towards Wyrd miniatures, and especially people who play stock fantasy and sci-fi tend to shun away from it.

Geee....

I think, that just somebody was jealous at female minis,which took more attention than girlfriend itself.

To be honest, I just don´t see any harrasment or any "more sexy than acceptable" models. Fine, it´s victorian steampunk western horror, where are female models (Ladies have something that men don´t , even little kids know that), who are dressed according to role/part/time.Burleque dancers used to look like this.

What is the problem?

Gender balance? Please, enough of this.It is a game!

Have you noticed, that there was no female character in Winnie the Pooh?

Well, I suppose that female models in Infinity have bigger "cheesecake" level and yes, I do play Aleph. Mechs on high heels.. :D

1. I don't recall Collette and the Showgirls of her theater being referred to as prostitutes. I might have missed that, would you please point me to the passage so that I might be corrected? I DO recall the first timers at their show being pretty fired up, that just seems fairly realistic to me.

Page 154, Rising Powers: "Not only are these women trained in stagecraft, but also the most ancient of dances - seduction. [break] Colette's performers are no mere prostitutes, however. They are trained Arcanist operatives, using their wiles to infiltrate and gather information which they pass back to Colette's contacts..."

Page 83, Rising Powers: "The girls stormed off to busy themselves with tasks backstage. 'You can forget about that special dance tonight, Joss.'"

2. I've never seen a table top wargame with as many strong female characters that, as has been pointed, make their own way in the world, in their own ways.

Evidently "making their own way" requires one to dress like a male fantasy.

Hmm.. Something to notice is that most of those females, that some consider to be 'cheesecake', were released a long time before there was any such thing as 'Malifaux'. Back when Wyrd was merely producing miniatures for people to paint them, pretty girls sell better than the less fortunate ones and the miniatures (save a few) weren't connected by any story- og timeline - making it all fit together the way they did is surely nothing short of a masterpiece..

Indeed, a lot of these models came from the Great Beforetime, but it's not as though Nekima and the Lelitu are so much better, you know?

She's often watched me paint, and expressed an interest in painting after watching me paint my nth Deathwing Terminator for an upcoming 40k tourney - she did ask though "Where are the female ones ?". I suggested Malifaux due to the strong female characters, and interesting fluff. As mentioned previously though, on flipping through the rule book she's been put off by the art and minis.

Exactly the same thing that happened with my wife, who will semi-happily play a game of WHFB with me. She flipped through the Malifaux books and lost all interest in playing.

Kingdom Death Wet nurse anyone?

Tasteless miniatures do not excuse ones in bad taste.

Indeed, a lot of these models came from the Great Beforetime, but it's not as though Nekima and the Lelitu are so much better, you know?

OH GOD NO! The Woes of Forbidden Delight wear nothing, but a slightly provocative long dress!! How DARE they?

Again.. Have you seen the succubi of other companies?

Actually.. Have you EVER seen a succubus dressing decently? I haven't.

You could of course ask why there's succubi-like creatures in Malifaux in the first place, but then we're back to blame the miniature industry as a whole and not Wyrd in particular.

Have you ever seen some movie? There are ladies! Dressed like courtisans! Far worse! Chainmail bikini in Red Sonja!

Still don´t get the problem.

OK, Malifaux is artistically much more comics than other games. No problemo.Deal with it.

Is there too much women models?I wouldn´t say so.

Do they make someone blush?Come on....

OH GOD NO! The Woes of Forbidden Delight wear nothing, but a slightly provocative long dress!! How DARE they?

Again.. Have you seen the succubi of other companies?

Actually.. Have you EVER seen a succubus dressing decently? I haven't.

You could of course ask why there's succubi-like creatures in Malifaux in the first place, but then we're back to blame the miniature industry as a whole and not Wyrd in particular.

I would ask, particularly, why Wyrd thought it was necessary to include BDSM-themed miniatures in Malifaux, or how that was considered particularly appropriate for the time period and setting, as it were.

Ultimately, I would prefer not to own models that would potentially awkward conversations with parents/grandparents/significant others/random bystanders/Mommy bringing little Jimmy into the game store. This is the same reason why I am not a fan of the Diaz Daemonettes or any other "revealing" miniature--game stores are not 18+ and I would prefer not having to hide my models when the folks come to visit.

Jp it realy just sounds like this is not the game for you. The other option is dont buy those models or proxy. I like the idea of helldorado some parts of it look cool. I decided not to play because I have kids and a few of the models I would not want my kids to see. Malifaux has not put out any thing I worry about yet. Obviously your tastes think wyrd goes in a bad direction. If games were made so to not offend any one we would be playing checkers(even then some one would be upset its to much like war)

Given your reaction it sounds like there is a market for a more family friendly wargame market perhaps you or wyrd could tap in to that if there is money in it.

Edited by tadaka

Jp it realy just sounds like this is not the game for you. The other option is dont buy those models or proxy. I like the idea of helldorado some parts of it look cool. I decided not to play because I have kids and a few of the models I would not want my kids to see. Malifaux has not put out any thing I worry about yet. Obviously your tastes think wyrd goes in a bad direction. If games were made so to not offend any one we would be playing checkers(even then some one would be upset its to much like war)

Oddly enough, I really like Malifaux, and I play Colette (and, to be fair, only Colette, although Kirai is growing on me as well, along with the Dreamer). I merely think that trying to pass it off as a feminist-friendly game is a little silly.

Entertaining thread I must admit.

All comes down to personal tastes.

Some of those miniatures folks are having fits over were actually developed by females and they get a collective laugh here in the office from the ladies whenever someone makes mention of them. That includes Taelor, whom originally had a full on shirt before the ladies said 'no .. try this' and we did.

There isn't a disconnect between writing, artwork or miniature sculpting, as that all comes through my desk, if not outright written or sketched by myself at times.

Funny enough, the dead hookers, Rotten Belles, are usually what have women coming into the booth to look over and laugh with, and nine out of ten who leave the booth have them in hand along with many of our other female miniatures/groups. It has been something that I've observed and marked the trend on over the last few years with some serious bemusement.

I won't try to high brow or belittle anyone here in the least as everyone is most welcome to their opinion and reactions will most certainly vary.

Still .. no problem you can't solve with a pile of dead hookers.

:angel:

That includes Taelor, whom originally had a full on shirt before the ladies said 'no .. try this' and we did.

Im thinking these are the ladies I need to meet (Just a JK)

Edit.

So did they step in and make Z what she is today as well :)

Edited by tadaka

I do find it a little odd that in a game full of huge swords, massive guns and various rusty implements of death and torture that people are offended or concerned about a bit of leg and some cleavage.

It seems that death and violence is fine, but sex is a no-no.

I think its an american thing we can be strange like that.

Noooooooooooooooooooo its a boob.

For the sake of equality I think wyrd should make another belle model and call it a cross dresser or make it a chipindale.