LaCroix Kin Tactics

Cornelious1424

I might be mistaken, but I thought that if you make someone a companion, he has to activate right after the model that made him compaion. So if you're activating Ophelia and Francois, Ophelia gives ram to CB and companions the Slop Hauler, then the Sloppie goes next and can't heal Francois after the shooting spree.

Free Sebastian is talking about one of Ophelia's 0 actions called "Family Tree". It allows a non kin Gremlin to activate after Ophelia does, it's not a real companion in a sense. But yes, if you activate Ophelia first it doesn't work because the Slop Hauler would have to activate as soon as Ophelia ends her activation, thus healing Francois before he gets to shoot things.

@ Necromorph

The LaCroix kin are crazy fun! The more you drink the better they play!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As per the usual, haha.

My rules for tournament play (Infinity mostly, have yet to Tourney in Malifaux)

1) Start Drinking at 11am (assuming tourney starts at 12pm)

2) Be good n' drunk by round 2.

3) Be hung over by round 3.

4) Win Tournament (?)

Seems like Opehlia will be straightforward and fun enough for that kind of gaming, hahaha. Not to say I'll be winning tournaments with her, but in terms of general gaming philosophy, lol.

Also, when I saw that Ophelia / Francois combo I had a good, long, evil laugh.

Edited by Necromorph

Free Sebastian is talking about one of Ophelia's 0 actions called "Family Tree". It allows a non kin Gremlin to activate after Ophelia does, it's not a real companion in a sense. But yes, if you activate Ophelia first it doesn't work because the Slop Hauler would have to activate as soon as Ophelia ends her activation, thus healing Francois before he gets to shoot things.

@ Necromorph

Ah you are correct sir, either way you can still FT the sloppie and heal everyone else, besides, thats why we take two ;)

Played a few games with Ophelia this week...they're totally f**king awesome lol. I think some of my friends consider them cheese atm, but they're really not, they just hit harder than the Ortega's but with the same crew mechanics and worse stats (and don't forget wound management). My response to them is "Go play a really good Perdita player and get back to me," lol.

They are still my "have fun" crew because they have glaring weaknesses vs. some crews. The thought of playing Pandora or the Dreamer makes me want to cry, and Hamelin is well...100% unbeatable in anything but slaughter. Though they are a pretty solid matchup against most crews. Hoffman was a little tricky because of his armor 4 from the Guardian...I had to companion damn near all the Kin just to get rid of the Guardian. I still won because he kept Ryle back too far (he was my Kill Protege) and because he just had the starter and Ryle, he didn't have enough damage dealing to threaten me significantly.

Fun fun fun :)

They are still my "have fun" crew because they have glaring weaknesses vs. some crews. The thought of playing Pandora or the Dreamer makes me want to cry, and Hamelin is well...100% unbeatable in anything but slaughter.

Fun fun fun :)

I'm glad that you had some good times when you were playing with the LaCroix kin, numbah one thing in Malifaux is having a blast while playing.

Though I'm having a few issues with what you are saying about Ophelia and her gremlins and not able to go toe to toe with any master. I disagree vehemently with Jonas about the Henchmen and their inablility to perform well against masters, and if you think about it, Pandora, Dreamer, and Hamelin, while tough, are not impossible to beat with the LaCroix. As you know and I'm sure everyone reading this knows, you do not need to kill their models to win in Malifaux.

PANDORA:

With Pandora, I feel as though you have to focus Candy as quickly as possible, not only does she heal, but her abilities are nasty. The best way to deal with the Pandora crew, is having your lacroix gremlins far back, and ready to pepper the hell out of her crew. The easiest way to do this is Rami, he has one of the longest ranges in the game, so, use it to your advantage. Most of the deadly spells in the pandora crew are 12 inches, so have Ophelia give rami the ram, and use dumb luck to really hurt the enemy.

So Candy, Pandora, and kade(Im not sure if he does or not) have martyr, which allows other woes in base contact to take their wounds for them. This can be really annoying for us and our focus firing, however, if we use reckless on rami, with the ram from ophelia, thats a lot of damage at three range 16 shots. This output will really force Pandora to make really tough decisions and put her on the back foot. If teddy comes charging forward, use pere, Young'uns, raphael, and Francois as your counter charge and take him out.

Number one thing to not do against Pandora, is focus fire her early; it is really easy for the LaCroix gremlins to fail their WP checks to target her, and then lose that precious "alpha strike" action point. Try and whittle down her models and focus on grabbing objectives later on in the game. Use reckless for three moves and you'll see how quick our gremlins are. Also use schemes that will benefit you, such as "kill protege: teddy" or something along those lines.

DREAMER:

Against the dreamer, you have to be really careful, as he is going to just dick around first turn with alps and out activate you to prime the alp bomb, or just regular dreamer shenanigans. If you can, use rami to put some damage on them if you can, but just be prepared for the popping out chompy on isolated models tactics.

If I were to face the dreamer I would have francois and Raphael as my front line, because they are the most solid of the crew. Then once they get into the combat, you are the LaCroix, just shoot the huge neverborn bastard.

I have never played against the dreamer, so I can only say for you to turtle a bit and wait for him to make a mistake.

HAMELIN:

We have discussed numerous ways for beating Hamelin already in this thread, and as this post is already a wall of text, I won't go into it any further. But same things apply.

TL;DR: Ophelia can beat ANY master in the game. (So can Von Schill for that matter) Ideas for beating Pandora, Chompy, and Blasts pwn rats/ratcatchers.

Hope that this helps

Frere

Edited by FrereSebastian

Pandora is totally beatable, yes. You would just have to hang back, but depending on Strategies, if she gets close, you aren't going to win any WP duels and will be in for a world of hurt. Not by any means unbeatable, but her strength is your biggest weakness.

Dreamer (the way I see him played) would result in him terrain hopping turn 1 (Wk 7 flying). Turn 2 he will run up, summon a daydream, the daydream then activates immediately, moves up, and drops all the nightmares in your lap. Not necessarily bad all the time, but my friend likes to play them with big baddies (like teddy and copelius) and the Terrifying checks from them (not to mention the 3" Terror-14 chompy) could see you running off the table. I would probably just turtle back, send a couple gremlins up as scrificial lambs, and hope he's dumb enough to waste time killing / Terror bombing them so the rest of my crew gets to activate and shoot...or just use my speed to play "Keep Away," Again, not impossible, you just have to play veeeery cautiously (this ofc depends on what the dreamer player is bringing as certain nightmares are much more effective against gremlins than others).

Yes, the whole Pere/Papa bomb is great at dealing with Hamelin's swarm. From the standpoint of someone who plays Hamelin though, I've learned to rush very shooty crews head on, overwhelming them with targets (especially with Hamelin as he generally doesn't value individual models in his crew besides Nix due to their ability to be brought back). This means that while Hamelin won't be in the swarm, he'll be close behind, which won't save the catcher, but will save the swarm, giving me resources to pop another out. You can still do it, but it would come down to timing, or try to pull the swarm just far enough away, which is possible but highly situational. From Perdita's standpoint, no biggie, but for Ophelia, Hamelin just has to leave his whole crew in his deployment, walk up the field, and (1) Irresistable Lure your whole crew, as none of them can target him due to being Ht1. Som'er has access to more Ht2 and blast capable models, but not enough, and due to their terrible WP, they will be Insig fast.

I suppose you could try to manipulate some Warpig Charges on Hamelin, tie him up for a turn or 2 while he makes them Insing and kills them, which would maybe give you enough time to deal with the swarm, and possibly delay him from completing his strategies/schemes (this ofc is something only a Som'er lead could do, but I'm speaking of Gremlins generally in this area).

Not bashing the Gremlins, I love the little guys, and yes, they (especially Ophelia) can go toe to toe with anyone (except Hamelin, but that's just my opinion). I didn't mean to say they couldn't beat all masters, just that the prospect of facing particular crews gives me nightmares, lol (No dreamer pun intended).

Edited by Necromorph

YEAHHH

I totally forgot to put that into my post, I was going to say that you have a lot more experience with the Hamelin crew than myself. So of all people you definitely know what works and what doesn't against him.

I agree that the three masters of pandora, dreamer, and Hamelin, of course there are more, are all tough to beat. I just got a little heated when someone said that my little bayou hooligans couldn't scrap with the masters XD

Its ok on the poll I totally voted for Ophelia

Remember, the Daydreams in a Dreamer crew can't dump all of the crew out as they lack the correct trigger. They can only do it through sacrificing the Daydream itself. Okay, you'll still have to deal with their whole crew but they'll be a Daydream down and a few cards down due to the sacrificing.

The problem I find with Chompy is his ability to strike where he wants to, regardless of how many Nightmares are popping out or not. Gremlins kinda need the opponent to play on your terms and Chompy completely negates that.

The problem I find with Chompy is his ability to strike where he wants to, regardless of how many Nightmares are popping out or not. Gremlins kinda need the opponent to play on your terms and Chompy completely negates that.

Yep, and this is one reason why I could see myself bringing some generic Bayou Gremlins. Send them up (maybe with something beefier as support) to try and draw the nightmares out. If not, well then they hit the nightmares from behind when they pass by them, if they do, well, you then get to blast the unholy sh*t out of them with the rest of the Kin. If you do end up having to take loads of Terrifying checks, try to make sure Pere passes. If they're pulling the Terror Bomb, they're going to want put their models close together (relatively, and they would be stupid to put them all on top of each other) to maximize your chances of failing....blow them up, even if they don't all die, they'll be hurting and off balance with the majority of their crew being wounded all of a sudden.

Edit: Terrifying aside, (0) Like Hearding Squirrels will be a good friend to have if nightmares pop into your group.

Edited by Necromorph