League, Selden NY, Jan 21st start

dgraz

A new territory has been discovered. A lush valley, rich in natural resources including rock formations that promise a bounty of Soulstones hidden within. Ruins have also been seen and beg exploration. Unfortunately, secrets don’t last very long in Malifaux and blood may soon run in rivers.

Who will emerge from the chaos as the ultimate warlord? Sign up now to reserve your chance to be the one.

:ramos

Standing at the edge of the precipice, Ramos addressed his tall friend while scanning the vista before him. “Excellent scouting Joss. Who would have thought there was such a place within miles of the city? With the natural resources here, the Union could make a self-sustaining bastion against the Governor General’s depredations. Gather the Union Heads. We must start diverting resources quietly to fortify this position.”

:lucius

Lucius strode confidently into the Governor General’s office. “My Lord, my spies have noticed that the Union is moving workers and building supplies in a steady stream but there are no new structures going up.”

The Governor General looked up from the document he was reading. “Mobilize extra forces. We must discover what they’re up to and put a stop to it if it is a threat. Or, tax it if not. Along with assessing fines for building without the proper permits. Dismissed.”

:lilith

Three women stood around a small pool reflecting the light of the moon. “The humans are expanding. This could be worse than those cursed Ortegas. We must make a strong push against this new move. The more they spread, the more difficult it will be to remove them.”

“Of course we will support you, Sister.”

:seamus

“Well Molly my dear, have they discovered me or just this place?” Molly moved as if to speak and Seamus quickly held up a hand. “A rhetorical question. Please don’t speak; you always make such a mess. Either way, the outcome is the same. They must not be allowed to disrupt my research. Let’s see what surprises we can prepare for them.”

:vonschill

Von Schill slammed his fist down on the desk. “Dammit Viktoria! You’re the best fighter I know, but your grasp of logistics is sadly lacking. A permanent facility, a fortified facility, will allow us to draw more recruits. We could become a force unto ourselves, where people could make their lives without the oppressive limitations of the Governor.”

Viktoria drummed her fingers on the desk while she regarded him. “Very well Von Schill, your suggestion has merit. I will join you in this endeavor. Where do we begin?”

Edited by dgraz

Malifaux League Player Packet

General

The league will run for three months, from February thru April. At the end of April, Victory Points will be assessed and semi-finals will be set.

At the beginning of each month, players will be given three opponents to play. It does not matter in what order they are played as long as all three games are played within the month.

The league will be territory based. There will be two types of territories; generic – which have no value other than a territory for 1 VP, and special – which count as 2 VP but also have some type of special feature attached to it. Each player will start the league with one special and two generic territories.

Each player will have to ‘bid’ one of their territories before play begins. If a player ‘bids’ a special territory, they will gain the benefit of that territory but it also means that they could lose it. When the battle is over and a winner has been determined, the winner will generate a new territory from the list. The winner keeps the territory they ‘bid’ and may choose to either take the newly generated territory or the one that the loser ‘bid’. The loser takes whichever territory the winner leaves.

Underdog Rule

If a player has a number of territories less than or equal to half of the opponents number of territories, that player is the Underdog. The Underdog may “attack” their opponent at a territory of their choice. This means that the Underdog ‘bids’ their own territory as normal, but may also pick the territory that their opponent must ‘bid’.

Pick-up Games

I’ve given this a lot of thought and decided to leave this in. Some players won’t be able to utilize it very much (which includes me) and I’m sorry for that, but the overall consensus was that it was a good thing.

Players will be allowed to play any number of pick-up games but may only gain two new territories per month. Special territories may not be ‘bid’ in pick-up games – only generic. If for some reason you don’t have any generic territories, you are not eligible to play pick-up games. Territories are not randomly generated for pick-up games. The new territory will always be a generic.

Any pick-up games played in the month, after winning two that month, are just out of the kindness of your heart to give someone else a chance to win a new generic territory.

Play

Crews and game size.

Players will choose one master for the duration of the league. For battles, you may choose to use your faction’s Henchman character with your master or in place of your master (i.e.; all normal Henchman rules apply).

All games for normal play and pick-up games will be Scrap format (1 strategy & up to 2 schemes) – escalating as time goes by. February will be 30 ss. March will be 35 ss. April will be 40 ss.

Semi-finals will be 45 ss Brawls. Finals will be 50 ss Brawls. (1 strategy & up to 3 schemes)

Bidding

Before play begins, each player should write down one of their territories that they wish to bid for the game. Then both players reveal at the same time.

Encounter Locations

If both players have bid generic territories, flip to determine location and special terrain as normal. If one or both players bid a special territory, players may mutually agree on terrain or flip for a location, but not for any special features. Each piece of special territory will have the info on how to use it.

After the battle

In a league game the winner keeps the territory that they ‘bid’ then randomly generates a new territory from the list below and may choose to either take that territory or the territory that the loser bid. The loser takes whichever territory that is left. If this is a pick-up game skip this step – the generated territory is always generic.

***In the packet that I hand out to everyone there will be a territory chart here.***

A Terrain Making Frenzy

Once per week, a player may bring in terrain equaling or exceeding a 6” x 6” area to donate for Malifaux. Players should make an effort to create presentable pieces, please see myself or shop Dave to donate and have your piece judged as playable (anyone can make a piece of junk – we want to make pieces that will enhance our playing).

Here’s the bonus. Anyone doing this may choose (on the spot) to either add 2 ss to their Soulstone Pool for their next league game (not pick-up) which is added after crews are picked so you may exceed the Maximum Pool Size, or a (+flip) if you win your next league game (not pick-up) on your flip for newly generated territory.

I have a big blue bin in the basement that will henceforth be known as the Malifaux terrain bin. All players are welcome to use the terrain in the bin, but please be mature about it. Treat the pieces with respect and make sure everything gets put away – the 40k players have enough stuff!