Come here my Doll

Ratty

OK, picked up the models for my 3rd Crew today, I'm going for Zoraida (Why did they choose this name, it's a young character from Don Quixote, she seems to be more based on Baba Yaga and the hag from the 3 wyrd sisters) anyhow, so far I've got

Zoraida

Voodoo Doll

2 Stitched

3 Sluirid

and a Bad Juju

I'll be updating this with pictures as I go. however I wanted to ask a question, how many Wicked Dolls do I want to be scratch building to go in my crew, will 3 be enough?

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can summon one doll per turn if Z does nothing but stitch. If you make a totem on turn one and it and the creature you link it to don't die, she can make 5 dolls by turn six. Three, however, I think is probably plenty, given the odds of something or another dying or Z actually deciding to do something are fairly good.

Also, while I do not doubt your modeling talent, there are a wide array of options for miniature dolls available.

Reaper Miniatures familiar packs, Reaper Mouslings (or anything else from Plastic Boy's crew, look it up in Miniature Matters), any Disney collectably pewter (although Alice or Pinoccio are obviously best), or just plain using Z's Voodoo Dolls and painting them differently.

Edited by Doctor Amos

Ratty, I'm going with Z for my third Crew as well. But rather than use the Zoraida model, I am going to use the Freebooter Voodoo Witch. My starting models are identical to yours, except that I am also including a Waldgeist. These creepy critters compliment a Z Crew quite well, both thematically and tactically.

Edited by Koyote

I know they are wonderful, but seeing as I'm making proxies to use as the Wicked Dolls are not out, that is not the most useful thing to show me.

Though it is part of the reason I wanted to play Zoraida, I love the idea of getting the Puppet War versions of the Masters and Minions I often play against to use as Voodoo dolls.

OK got the bases made for the first batch of the crew, I still want Coppelius and a Doppleganger.

I started thinking I was going to make swamp bases, but I just wasn't inspired. Everyone does swamp bases on Zoraida and it's a bit close to my basing on Kirai. In the end I decided to go a bit steampunk and make Kythera bases, that way I can have a bit more fun and still be a bit Swampy.

I used all kind of bits, I had some cogs from a construction set which I went to with a pair of clippers and a dremmel. I also had some smaller pocket watch cogs, which I nicked off my Girlfriend. You can order packs of them off ebay as they are used to make steampunk jewelery. The grey bits are from the chemical plant scenery set. I also used some non slip textured plasticard.

Zoraida is kind of based on Baba Yaga, who rides around on a cauldron (when she's not in her chicken legged hut). I chose the pipe part I used as the shape is very reminiscent of a cauldron.

cogs.jpg

OK some more basing stuff. Hers a bit closer view of Z's base it's quite hard to see what's going on due to the colours being all over the place.

zor1.jpg

Because the Doppleganger is such a simple but beautiful model I went for a really simple base.

zor2.jpg

One thing I've been trying to do is use the bases to even up the heights of some of the models. The Stitched are meant to be Ht 2 but are smaller than my Seishin. So I've tried with the bases to bring their eyeline up to the same height as the Slurid.

With Coppelius because he's so hunched I've built up the base some. I've made a higher platform that mimics the shape of the base, but it's offset so that when Coppelius feet are centered on the platform, Coppellius is centered over the whole base. It's also given me a good chance to add more cogs.

zor3.jpg

Finished putting together and painting my Wicked Dolls (well touching them up a bit, I painted them about 6 years ago). I'm a bit worried they came out a bit dark, but it could be the lighting inside. Also most of the other models in the crew have much less rock and far more metal so should be a bit brighter (I think).Wicked.jpg

Nice work, Ratty...your stuff is always beautifully painted and based.

As to alternate dolls, I have been hunting down Mid-Noir models from the now out-of-production Confrontation line by Rackham. Many of the evil dwarves had canopic dolls that accompanied them...I particularly like these few:

MorzaththeInfernal.jpg

Fire-SpittersofMid-Nor2.jpg

WarrioroftheAbyssBox.jpg

These last two would make good alternatives to Zoraida as well as come with dolls.

NerantheScary.jpg

MasterofPuppets.jpg

The downside, of course, is these can be hard to track down, and the best of them (those in the box set) can be pricey.

Edited by Zaxon
Forgot one!

This project is up to your usual standards of jaw droppingly brilliant, Ratty, but those bases are something else again.

And we can never have too much Hag Lurrrve on this site!

BTW: as good as those Rackham minis so obviously are, there really is no substitute for quality, and the Wyrd version is still the best (imo).

Bad Juju was a hard model to paint, I had problems getting it to stand out against the base as it is so dark. In the end I think I managed to get it there, but it took a lot of highlighting and washing back. I then treated him as if I was doing a swamp base. Giving tufts of grass and underarm hair. I also messed around adding leaves to the twig sticking out of his leg and extra leaves in his flesh.

badjujuf.jpg

badjujub.jpg