Battle Brush Studios Commission Painting Log

Sigur

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Cambeul: There's another Wolf Lord coming up and I'm pretty positive that he'll wield a Thunderhammer. :) And I agree with your sentiments towards Space Marines riding giant Wolves. Annoys me as much as SOME CHAPTERS having Predators with the Scout special rule as a Fast attack choice.

@Sliver Chocobo: Thanks for commenting, I hope Cambeul answered your question. :)

...aaaaand here's what I'm doing now: Bloodbowl!

chaoswip1.jpg

chaoswip2.jpg

I probably should have been doing something else today (like finishing one of the bazillion other project on my table) but these minis were very tempting. These, like the Bloodbowl Frogmen I did a few months ago, are by Gaspez Arts and now I'm fully convinced that they know their stuff. The Frogmen were cute as a novelty theme but these sculptors also do very, very good classic humanoid chaos marauders. Excellent. The miniatures are very big, definately more like 30 to 32mm scale than 28mm, but they're neat and fun to paint. That's why I'm also going a bit over the agreed painting level on this job.

Anyhow, let me apologize for the rather bad pictures; they look neater in real life. ;)

Hope to finish these guys tomorrow so I can return to Space Wolfy stuff, Chaos Space Marines and whatnot. Seeya then!

Finished!

UndividedUnited1.jpg

I really kind of went over the necessary level but these were fun to paint. Seeing as how they have loads of mutations, I tried to make them colourful and diverse whilst sticking to a certain number of base colours. They really represent Chaos Undivided and look like true inhabitants of the deep chaos wastes.

Out of the three BB teams I painted so far, these have to be my favorite. Each miniature is a whole character. If you ever plan to get a Chaos team for BB - get these miniatures.

And here's a Space Wolves update as well! Well, not that much of an update really...but I got new pictures at least! :)

Markers:

markersfertig1.jpg

Wolf Lord, finished with new Base:

lord4.jpg

lord3.jpg

lord2.jpg

lord1.jpg

Apart from that, I have to apologize to the cheap-o Revell airbrush gun. A few weeks ago, I more or less called it a useless piece of junk that doesn't work. I have to retract the "useless" part. It's really useful for varnishing a lot of miniatures at once. Tears through your paints but gets the job done quickly.

Speaking of airbrush matters, my new moisture trap/pressure regulator arrived. Works fine now and the whole thing is almost airtight now. Woohoo!

Anyway, thanks for looking. C&C welcome as well!

Edited by Sigur

So I was able to overcome my utter inability to even look at grey Space Wolves and got a bit done.

Built/Converted some Wolf Scouts:

swip1.jpg

The guys in the front (axe and prominent sword) have power weapons, the guy with the bare arm to the left of the poweraxe guy is getting mark of the Wulfen. Armless guy will get a Melter.

Proceeded with painting the Thunderwolf Cav and the Hero of Wolf Guard:

cavwip1.jpg

I guess I shouldn't write that down because it doesn't sound motivated but I figured that whining will make me seem so much more authentic, so here we go: painting grey power armour is no fun. Battle Damage is completely annoying. ;)

Two days ago I got some work done on the Khorne Berzerkers as well. They're about 70 to 80% finished now.

Okay, I know there hasn't been an update in quite a while. So let's see what's new...I've mainly been working on some Khorne Chaos Space Marines but they're still not finished (sorry).

I won at a painting competition over at http://garagegamer.wordpress.com/ . I'm usually not hugely into painting competitions but this one had an interesting theme so I decided to participate. Here's a picture of my winning entry:

bild-7648.jpg

I only had two days or so to think of something to do, build and paint everything so it's not perfectly executed but it was fun putting the thing together.

Apart from that, the Thunderwolf Cavalry and a Wolfguard Hero will be finished within the next few days.

@svenn: Thanks. :) She'll be online on my blog tomorrow.

Righty, currently working on a piece for another little contest of which the theme is "Anything Skaven or High Elves":

m1.jpg

m2.jpg

base1.jpg

base2.jpg

Should be finished by tomorrow. Hope you like it so far and please let me know if you have any input concerning the base.

cheers!

Alrighty, something new on the Space Wolves front:

twip3.jpg

The first five Terminators are about 70% finished. Not sure, maybe I need to redo the power weapons completely which would be very annoying but I'm afraid I messed those up a bit. Tried something new and I think I have to work on that technique a bit more.

Thanks. :) These Maiden Guard minis are beauties indeed. The sculptor hit a very good medium between female looks and muscle which I think it really hard to pull off properly. GW sculptors often are blamed for doing bad female miniatures and in some cases these accusations are correct but these Maiden Guard are phantastic. I was lucky enough to get a handful of them recently. You can find them on ebay occationally but they're very sought after and go for pretty high prices.

Anyway, I hope you like the paintjob as well. It's finished now and of course I will post pictures of it but not before the contest I painted it for is over. :)

SO! Massive pictures time!

First off, the finished Maiden Guard:

bild-7748.jpg

Finished Thunderwolf Cav:

cav1.jpg

cav2.jpg

cav3.jpg

cav4.jpg

cav5.jpg

(the Wolfguard hero still needs his Combimelta though)

Finished Terminators:

terminators2.jpg

terminators1.jpg

Variant armament for the Cyclone Terminator:

cycvariant1.jpg

...and here's the new stuff!

Wolf Scouts (now twice as Space Barbarian-esque!) with two mission objective markers:

scoutswip2.jpg

The second Wolf Lord:

wl2wip1.jpg

It's really nice how this one looks very different to the first Wolf Lord.

So, that's tonight's update. I hope you like it. :)

edit: If the Space Wolves pictures aren't displayed properly this means that my photobucket bandwidth is exceeded. The pictures should be back up in a few days. Until then, you can have a look at them here: http://www.dakkadakka.com/gallery/images-30962-12383_Space%20Wolves%20%28commission%29.html

Edited by Sigur

Update!

Markers are finished (only need a bit of snow on the bases):

markers2.jpg

Wolf Scouts WIP:

scouts2wip1.jpg

Me, being a genius amongst men, didn't take proper notes on how I painted the first squad of Wolf Scouts but I'm pretty sure I know how I did what. Let's hope it's accurate. :P

Wolf Lord WIP:

wl2wip2.jpg

C&C welcome!

@Nemissary: Noo, don't use the P-word! It's generally shunned due to how it's used on all these ebay auctions! ;) Just kidding, thanks a lot for the compliment.

Update!

I got a little extra work done on the second bunch of Terminators last night:

t2wip1.jpg

Hope I get enough done to give you another update by tonight. See you then!

Wolf Lord finished:

wl2wip7.jpg

wl2wip6.jpg

wl2wip5.jpg

Five more Terminators finished (still need snow on their bases though):

terminators3.jpg

terminators4.jpg

Next up: The Wolflord's Thunderwolf and Wolf Scouts.

As for further future plans:

1.) Seer Council on Jetbikes. Sadly just a relatively low-level paintjob but I'm looking forward to seeing the miniatures. Not sure when exactly this one will actually show up though.

2.) Another Step-by-Step Painting Guide I have been announcing for some time now. I'm trying to get it done by the holidays at the latest. The task is a little daunting because Other than the Blackguard Musician, it's a miniature I have no complete recipe prepared for and it just takes a long time to do this kind of thing. But it should be good, I'm still looking somewhat forward to it.

3.) Death Korps commission is fixed now but probably won't commence b efore the holidays. Like all commissions. I have about three or four commissions lined up for "early January" if nobody bails out.

4.) Finishing Space Hulk, the Khornies and the Nightbringer.

Alright, that's it for now, see you later!

@Nemissary: Noo, don't use the P-word! It's generally shunned due to how it's used on all these ebay auctions! ;) Just kidding, thanks a lot for the compliment.

Haha! Yeah, I guess "Pro Painter" and Pro Painted" are descriptions with two edges since Ebay came about. I commonly see listings as "Pro Painted" that look completely horrible.

What I meant by using the "P" word to describe your work is better described as this: "You are already an accomplished and highly skilled artist!" :)

Hehe.. that should clear that up ;)

Again, beautiful work!

@Nemissary: Cheers. ;)

Update!

wl2wip8.jpg

wl2wip9.jpg

I have to admit that the shin armour in the first picture doesn't look just as awesome in real life as it does in the picture. I mean, I blended it smoothly and all but it's also partly freaky lamp reflection. Didn't take another shot just because I love how it looks in the picture. ;) I need to fancy the armour on the wolf up anyway so I didn't have to do it perfect this time around.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy cow, it's highest time for an update in here!

First off, sorry for the lack of updates lately. In the past weeks I wrote many e-mails, worked on a project I can't post yet but plan to post during the holidays which took a lot of time to do, Finished a few older things of the Sci-Fi kind and so on. There's sad news as well - the Chaos Dwarfs commission guy isn't reporting back. Last thing I heard was something like "perfect, I'll post the miniatures tomorrow" and that's it. Nothing since then. I still hope that this thing is happening and I hope the guy's fine. Anyway, more time for other stuff then!

Here's something new I'm doing:

dwip1.jpg

Pretty much the whole Dwarfs range by Dwarf Tales miniatures. Excellent miniatures of which you may have seen two already in the Mortheim warband I did earlier this year. I'm painting these for a German video broadcast called Magabotato. It's a weekly show about tabletop gaming and everything surrounding that. They're doing a new episode each week and get up to five thousand views per episode.

Make sure you have a look at their videos. Here is a link to their youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/Magabotato

New pictures of the Wolf Lord:

wl23.jpg

wl22.jpg

wl21.jpg

The "ROLF"-looking runes on the wolf's armour didn't really please a lot of people so those were changed. Plus, I added some more detailling to the wolf's armour and redid the base a little bit. Next thing on my list: add snow.

I'm also currently doing four more Rhinos/Razorbacks so the Long Fangs and the Wolf Guard don't have to walk around on their paws:

rwip6.jpg

rwip7.jpg

rwip8.jpg

rwip9.jpg

Here's the more fancied-up Rhino of the Wolf Guard, also showing the Razorback version:

rwip10.jpg

rwip11.jpg

rwip12.jpg

rwip13.jpg

Stormbolters for the Rhino versions and other gubbinz are also mostly done. The Rhinos need some more dirtying up and weathering and the tracks need to be finished. That's it then.

See you soon! :)