Battle Brush Studios Commission Painting Log

Sigur

Hi,

I just recently signed up here on the Wyrd miniatures board because I'm pretty impressed with the characterful and different miniatures that are displayed here in the painting section.

To contribute to the mix, I would like to use this thread to showcase the miniatures and models I paint for my commission painting studio, for ebay and some of my own miniatures as well (if I ever find time to paint my own minis that is :P)

Anyway, Here's a list of the main things I'm currently working on:

.) Warhammer 40,000 Space Wolves army

.) Warhammer 40,000 Chaos Space Marines army

.) Space Hulk (2009) box

.) Warhammer 40,000 Death Korps of Krieg army

...as well as a few single miniatures.

I know, this is very much 40k-dominated at the moment. Maybe it's just that time of the year. ;)

I would love to do some more diverse stuff though so feel free to contact me about any crazy model idea you got.

If you're strictly into Malifaux miniatures only, my Malifaux commission work starts on page 19, at post #185. :)

To get an idea of what I do, here's a little overview of some works of mine:

finished1.jpg

LoC1.jpg

blackguard1.jpg

testminis2.jpg

bh21.jpg

bh1.jpg

kantorwip2.jpg

telionganz.jpg

fanatics1.jpg

mgmeinreichung.jpg

fertig11.jpg

warband2.jpg

vladimir1.jpg

Alright, that's it for now, here's some latest pictures of some Khorne Daemons I'm doing:

dpwip1.jpg

blwip1.jpg

Those are for an all 2nd edition Khorne army. Pretty cool stuff. :) All still WIP but about 60% finished. The client asked for a "less than high tabletop gaming level" so the job isn't too detailled. Usually I don't do that kind of level but i really like to work with these miniatures.

Anyhoo, thanks for looking. Comments and critique are highly welcome. See you soon!

Edited by Sigur

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@tony28: Thanks. :) I'd love to do some Malifaux minis some day. Mainly depends on people hiring me to do it. ;)

Little update: blwip2.jpg

There was something else I wanted to mention....oh, yes, a conspiracy I found out about!! Hold on a second, I'll try to get a snapshot:

conspiracy.jpg

Figure A (the upper one) shows regular paintpots by the incredibly popular paint lines from LUKAS and Rackham respectively (technically, Rackham's top is a squeezy one but the worst in the world so it's better to just treat it as a screw top), in this case Vanilla and Royal Yellow.

Recently I've been using Vanilla to mix with Royal Yellow for a lighter yellow. One can not EVEN BEGIN to THINK of TRYING to measure my astonishment when I noticed how I apsent-mindedly had screwed the top of the LUKAS Acryl pot onto the Rackham Color pot and it fit seamlessly! Driven by my never-ceasing thirst for uncovering the truth by bitting and piecing together bits and pieces of evidence, I took the screw-top of the Rackham pot and the Lukas Acryl pot, dead-set on undertaking a "vice versa check" (Purzelbaum, 1977). Be still, my trembling limbs...and by my first pet's grave, the TOP FIT ONTO THE POT!

The bizare view of bastardicity can be seen in the lower picture (figure B). Unimaginative naysayers may mention some sort of "normed screw sizes"; a myth that was employed all to often to cover up minor conspiracies, as discovered by the magician Rollo the Third.

Anyway. Interesting, eh? Seemingly unconnected companies - same screw size! Astonishing. Also, both pots seem to look way more fetching with their new tops, don't they?

Thanks for the replies so far.

@Iamwyrd: JMGraham put it quite correctly. <ahttp://themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/community/uploads/emoticons/default_wink.png' alt=';)'> And yes, they're still being manufactured, along with a lot of other very good alternative BloodBowl miniatures by Gaspez Art.

Sooooo I just went on a limb and bought a set of the frog team from them. Because after seeing the beautiful paintjob on the ones you posted I fell in love with the models, And our bloodbowl league is staring soon. The only thing is I live in he USA and I am always leery on buying from across seas. Not because I don't trust them, its the currency conversion and customs.

So question for your Sigur, are they reliable in shipping? I'm sure they are but I would rather hear it from someone who has ordered from them. Also I could not find the big frog on the site.

Edited by Iamwyrd

@Iamwyrd: I never ordered from them, my client did and he gave me the minis in person. But I'm sure that Gaspez Arts is a trustworthy business partner; they've been around for quite a while and have a good reputation from what I gathered. The only thing I would worry about is taxes which you have to factor into your calculations. Won't be too much though if we're talking just about one team. I suggest writing an e-mail to Gaspez Arts themselves, I'm sure they'll be very helpful at answering your questions. Congrats on getting these frogmen minis; they're really great. :)

@Sirroelivan: Thanks. May I ask what your username on Warseer is? :)

Update!

Bloodletters finished! Basing is done for the whole force altogether at a later point.

blwip3.jpg

Daemon prince almost finished; the black parts on the wings need some highlighting and texturing:

dpwip2.jpg

dpwip3.jpg

dpwip4.jpg

dpwip5.jpg

Pictures of the Daemon Prince aren't optimal, sorry about that.

Gaspez is quite reputable. If you want an US distributor, try Impact! Miniatures - they have a distribution center in Indiana. talkfantasyfootball.org is a great source of info on alternative blood bowl mini manufacturers. For a game that's barely supported by GW, BB has quite a thriving community.

Also, Sigur - lovely work! I particularly like the Freebooter Fate assassins. Quite an elegant set of miniatures, with a very fitting paint job!

@JMGraham: Thanks a lot. :) I agree with you about the BB community. It's impressive how active especially this community is and it pays off for them - there are several miniature companies who do alternative miniatures for Blood Bowl. There's a similar thing going on with Mordheim and Epic - also very active and inventive communities.

Alright, what's on our list today...

First off:

Happy Halloween, Wyrd people!

Time for watching some awesome movies, right? :) I started off the evening with The Hound of the Baskervilles (the Hammer Films one), later I will be joined by my brother and friends and then it's either an Italian horror film I delivberately didn't look up anything about or tons of Corman's E.A.Poe films starring Vincent Price.

Now that you know about these very important facts, let's proceed. Vienna Fantasy Gaming Convention took place today and it was pretty awesome. Way less costuming and program stuff than I expected any MUCH second hand marketing. I'll upload the written report tomorrow evening I think. Do not fear, it won't be as long as the last one and it will be almost entirely Wargaming stuff. :)

There was soooo much stuff I would have loved to get and some things I really would have liked to get but was too hesitant/niggard to get (still kicking myself for not getting a VERY reasonably-priced Mighty Empires box in great condition and a complete 4th edition Warhammer box. And an original Dungeons and Dragons red box. And some old Dark Eye books. And old Dwarfs. And heroquest. Can you believe that I don't have a copy of that game? Only used to play at a friend's place.). Meh, anyway. I got this:

goldendaemons.jpg

Sweet. These are just very nice to skim through and really inspirational. Makes me want to participate in some Golden Daemon contest or work on more scenic pieces. Oh, I also got the old Wolf-helmet Space Wolves captain. :)

Here's what I've done paintingwise. Hope you like the design on this guy so far.

jwip1.jpg

Ho-hum....so let me know what you think of this guy so far. Seeya later. ;)

@Svenn: Well, thanks for letting me host my stuff. ;)

@Sirroelivan : Ah, I see. Well, Warseer is a great place if you're into GW games but I see that it loses parts of it's appeal if you're not playing these games any more. And for BB only, there's probably better forums around.

Update on the Juggernaut - he's almost finished:

jwip2.jpg

Apart from that, I spend most painting time yesterday with basecoating about 20 Khorne Berzerkers and champions of Khorne.

But now I have to switch projects again (sadly, I really enjoy painting these Khornites) - the Fenrisian Wolves and the first Wolf Lord have arrived along with some mission markers and the client asked if I could finished them until the 8th or so because he's got a tourney on the 10th. Challenge accepted. :D

So I have six days to paint

1 Wolf Lord

19 Fenrisian Wolves

3 Mission objectives

1 Chooser of the Slain marker

Quite a lot of stuff to do really and not much time at all. Wish me luck. ;)

P.S.: The first part of my review of Fantasy Gaming Convention is online. Just click the fat link in my signature.

@daemonkin: Thanks. :) The bandwidth problem should be fixed now. Didn't use to happen in the past but since my painting volume has gone up, I sometimes get bandwidth problems on my main account on photobucket.

So, update!

Wolves finished and based even!

wolves1.jpg

Closer look at the wolves:

wolves2.jpg

Two out of three mission markers finished, base for the first Wolf Lord finished:

markers1.jpg

I really enjoyed painting these two finished markers. Mainly because I was allowed to use clear lines and nice colours on the console one, which I usually prefer to "gritty" looks and the one with the plate and the sword in the rock is just a great piece. Not so sure what I'll do about the third one yet (colourwise mainly) but I'll think of something.

Other than that, I think today was the peak day of my cold so I should recover over the weekend. Also, my order from maelstrom FINALLY arrived along with my first ever citadel paintpot of the new design. I was really looking forward to seeing those because I liked the new pots of the Foundation paints and the Washes. GW even made the genius move of moving the label a bit down so you can screw off the top even easier but then I had to notice this:

paintpot.jpg

The new paint pots don't have the litte lid thingy that prevents the top from closing again. The Foundation paints pots have them, the Washes pots (even new ones with the new label and all) have it - just not the pots for the regular paint! I'm pretty sure that this phrase is overused but... WHAT WERE THEY THINKING!?. They were so incredibly close to making an unnecessary change once again but not screwing it up and now this!

Also, I hate to be the guy who dismisses clear facts and simple physics/geometry but I don't believe that these tiny things hold the same amount of paint the 2003 paintpots do. And even if the pots were the same size in total, they just put way less paint into them. I got one new pot and a couple of 2003 ones and the paint level in all the 2003 pots is higher than in the new pot.

Anyway, enough of that rambling. I got this weekend to finish a mission marker, a Wolf Lord and maybe another Chooser of the Slain marker so I better get to it.

P.S.: Did anyone of you notice a drastic change in the looks of Regal Blue in the past years? I got a new pot today and it looks completely different from what I remember it to look like. And I remember well because I really liked that colour.

Edited by Sigur

@thetang22: Cheers. Say what you will about Freebooter Miniatures; those Assassins they did get right. ;)

Anyway, maybe you remember that I'm on a tight schedule at the moment. Here's the first WIP of the first Wolf Lord (who has to be finished by Monday at the latest):

wl1wip1.jpg

wl1wip2.jpg

wl1wip3.jpg

...and a detail shot of the right shoulderpad:

wl1detail1.jpg

At first I wasn't too sure on how to tackle that guy but I'm starting to like him. He reminds me a lot of the time I painted the Warboss for my Space Orks army (bottom of the page).

Anyway, I'm proceeding pretty well and it's fun to paint him. My cold is getting better as well and I'll do a little trip to GW on Monday to get a replacement for the miscast Sicarius I recently got.

So basically the heraldry of the lord is continued on the Wolf as well, effectively making him a "battle brother" by giving him a left shoulderpad with the gread company badge on it. :)

I really love the messed up lighting on the first picture:

wl1wip5.jpg

wl1wip6.jpg

....and here's a WIP of the last mission marker:

markerwip1.jpg

Hope you like everything. :)

Edited by Sigur

Small update - marker's done!

marker3.jpg

Cute thing that. He really looks like some kind of 1950s TV series robot.

The wolf lord himself is also finished now but doesn't look drastically different to the last update so no pictures of him this time. I've got some more work done on the Wolf and I should be able to finish him by tomorrow. Now for that Chooser of the Slain marker...

edit:

Again, little update:

chooser1.jpg

A new chooser of the slain marker or just a regular casuality. :)

Edited by Sigur