Mcmourning Tactica (Work in Progress)

VonWyll

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Provided the Chihuahua and McMourning changes stick (which I have no doubt that they will), McMourning is still a summoning beast, but much more manageable. It also makes all of his spells equivalent to one another in terms of body parts, but they just vary by mechanism. Still, they all have uses - for example, Dissection is the only way to get the final damage + "corpse token"'s worth of body parts out of a spirit or construct.

The best I could come up with still has Mcmourning trading up to a Rogue necromancy in turn two, but at a greater cost. It requires two canine remains and a Chihuahua in base contact with McMourning.

Turn 1:

(1) Chihuahua casts Wracked with Pain on Canine 1 (needs a 9+ of any suit)

(1) Chihuahua hands the body part to McMourning (BPtotal= 1)

(0) McMourning Scalpel slings Canine 1, killing it (BPtotal=4)

(1) McMourning casts Wracked with pain on Canine 2 (BPtotal=5)

(1) mcMourning uses his Surgical Scalpel on Canine 2, killing it (BPtotal=8)

Starting the second turn, you have the 8 bodyparts to summon a Rogue Necromancy. If you're greedy, then any part of the following steps can get you to some more body parts:

(1) CHihuahua casts wracked with pain at McMourning

(1) Gives the piece of mcMourning back to McMourning (BPtotal=9)

(1) McMourning casts Wracked with Pain at Chihuahua (BPtotal=10)

(1) McMourning does a scalpel attack on the chihuahua, killing it, and healing himself back up to full wounds in the process (BPtotal=13)

(0) summon Rogue Necromancy

I'd be inclined to spend a body part to move before summoning the Rogue Necromancy. While that makes it so that he only has 4 towards the Flesh Construct, he should get them fairly easily from his enemies. Certainly, it seems like there is a choice to be made - the fact that it's not an easy choice suggests that Wyrd's changes are desirable.

One question - if a Grave Spirit casts Wracked with Pain, what happens to the body part? Is it dropped? If so, I'd be inclined to replace the Chihuahua with the Grave Spirit and not kill it off for more body parts - McMourning with Armour 2 would be nigh unkillable!

Instead of using a melee attack and hoping for minimum damage, it's easier to just cast Wracked with Pain. It's an easy spell to cast, you can choose to have your minions automatically tie their resist duel (and therefore lose), it does a set 2 Dg, and you still get a body part. Then follow it up with a melee strike to net 2 body parts + a corpse.

I played a 35ss game vs Ramos last night, using the V2 changes described above (dissect doesn't leave a corpse, and the chihuahua can't make body parts from air). It scaled McMourning's insane summoning ability back, didn't completely cripple him. It also made for some more difficult choices, both in crew building and during the game. In my eyes, if a choice is excruciatingly difficult to make, it's because it's well balanced. Suffice it to say, I enjoyed the changes to McMourning's ready access to body parts. Thanks, Wyrd, for being willing to revise the rules to make the game better (now get that new errata out there and let me know when I can order my V2 cards!).

If this is indeed true, I will need to retract my statement of the Chihuahua being the best totem for Mcmourning. While McMourning will still benefit from the Spare Parts rule, the Grave Spirit may now be marginally more useful.

I'd think the Necrotic Machine might even be a better choice, it could cast some of his spells and and a solid attack at least.

Instead of using a melee attack and hoping for minimum damage, it's easier to just cast Wracked with Pain. It's an easy spell to cast, you can choose to have your minions automatically tie their resist duel (and therefore lose),

QUOTE]

What do you mean automatically?

I thought you still had to flip for it. I know you can always cheat it down.

this tactica is very nice and now i will sadly have to read the seamus tactica :( because seamus is very boring and im sure anyone who plays him will not be very good but if you say you learned from him then maybe it wont be to bad. mcmourning seems very cool but i do not like masters that need things from outside of their faction and it seems like all the masters do except maybe kiria but she really seems boring :( thank you very much for this tactica it was very informational and useful and i will put the things written in here to good use against him whenever i play! :)

this tactica is very nice and now i will sadly have to read the seamus tactica :( because seamus is very boring and im sure anyone who plays him will not be very good but if you say you learned from him then maybe it wont be to bad. mcmourning seems very cool but i do not like masters that need things from outside of their faction and it seems like all the masters do except maybe kiria but she really seems boring :( thank you very much for this tactica it was very informational and useful and i will put the things written in here to good use against him whenever i play! :)

McMourning does not require anything outside of his own faction. I'm not really sure where you get that impression. Thank you for your compliments. If you mean you want a master that doesn't need anything outside of the starter box, well thats a bit different but your going to end up buying more models for Seamus, trust me.

What do you mean automatically?

I thought you still had to flip for it. I know you can always cheat it down.

You do have to flip for it, but the errata for pg. 62 adds:

"Friendly models making Resist Duels must resist as

normal, but when determining final totals, can choose to tie

the casting total if the resist total was higher."

Thus, you can always choose to tie (and therefore fail) a magic resist duel from a friendly, though if it's a variable-damage causing spell it will still be :-fate :-fate to the damage flip.

Of course, you can also cheat either the spellcaster or target, though the spellcaster needs to be cheated BEFORE you flip for the resist.

I would disagree as politely as possible with this on many points. To begin with, Seamus is, in my opinion, one of the most fun masters to play in the game (although I don't myself, though for monetary reasons). Any model that plays with terrifying so much is amazing in my book. [EDIT] Nevermind, misread that >_>. Uh, M&M plays inside of his faction mostly, as do most of the Ressers, so if that's a problem, don't worry about it at all.

If, however, you mean starter set, then again, most masters hire outside of their starter set, but McMourning does the most, mostly because his set is garbage. A decent purpose, as you'll use most of the models (one nurse will remain unused), but it can't run alone.

• 2 weeks later...
Instead of using a melee attack and hoping for minimum damage, it's easier to just cast Wracked with Pain. It's an easy spell to cast, you can choose to have your minions automatically tie their resist duel (and therefore lose), it does a set 2 Dg, and you still get a body part. Then follow it up with a melee strike to net 2 body parts + a corpse.

Something else to remember is that if you can cast Wracked with Pain with a :masks you can also trigger Scalpel Magic for a Surgical instraments strike and then trigger A Piece For Me. For a total of 3 body parts. On a Canine Remains it will kill it leaving a corpse counter that you can auto pick up (base contact) for a total of 5 body parts.

With two canines you could potentialy gain 10 Body Part counters in turn 1. Use one to gain fast and also cast (0) Monstrous Creation.

Something else to remember is that if you can cast Wracked with Pain with a :masks you can also trigger Scalpel Magic for a Surgical instraments strike and then trigger A Piece For Me. For a total of 3 body parts. On a Canine Remains it will kill it leaving a corpse counter that you can auto pick up (base contact) for a total of 5 body parts.

With two canines you could potentialy gain 10 Body Part counters in turn 1. Use one to gain fast and also cast (0) Monstrous Creation.

That's a Rogue Necromancy right there. Scare the hell out your enemy.

Update for previous post

I miscalculated on the post above. Wracked with Pain only delivers 1 body part. But carrying out the above you can still harvest 8 body parts.

Another trick I thought of using Mortimer and a Canine Remains:

From up to 9 inches away you can get another 2 body parts to McMourning.

Activate Mortimer

Companion a Canine remains

Exhume (because you can cheat it now for the :crows) and place the corpse counter under the Canine.

Finish Mort's activation.

Activate the Canine Remains and auto pick up for the corpse counter

Activate (0) For you, Master and shoot the Corpse Counter to McM.

Don't think of it as a cuddle. Think of it as a game development that makes you play smarter. It's just a matter of being creative and thinking of alternative methods to grab those elusive corpse counters.

The Mortimer/Canine remains could work great in a Red Chappel Gang where it only takes one corpse counter to summon a Belle... And Morty can summon Belles too!

I'm not. I think it was a good call overall, because dishing out RNs on turn one almost every time with little to no tactical handicap is a bit off.

On the other hand, Chihuahua suddenly drops from one of the best totems in the game to middle tier. I will probably switch to grave spirit

I always had an abundance of BPCs because you can only summon once a turn and Fast doesn't stack. So it's actually not too bad, and I always felt that even if it isn't really, summoning a RN or Frankie on the first turn just seems like a dick'ish thing to do.

I'd rather tear up an expensive model of theirs then summon a Frankie right next to them. =P

I've never used a totem, because I didn't know that his totem could do that until they took it away. So I will probably just go totem-less as I always have.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys.

Sorry for going on Hiatus, I will resume with my continuation of this tactica immanently. It goes without saying that this tactica would not be what it is without everyone that has posted their own insights (and corrected me on the mistakes I have made and there has been a lot) I hope you keep doing so in future.

Let us continue our journey together.

-:crows VonWyll

• 2 weeks later...

In adition to the nurse you should mention that the drugs sacrifices what she buffs. Sacrifice = 0 points for the oponent in a slaughter.

My favorite tactic with the nurse is to move her upp position first turn. Summon a rouge necromancy within 2" of her and hit it with the drugs. Walk the rouge necromancy into combat late in the turn and cause havoc.

• 3 weeks later...
Very briefly: I was reading the section on the Nurse, and I think that a liberal application of drugs to a Desperate Mercenary (especially if you have a nurse stab the guy for 1 damage beforehand) might give the Canine Remains a run for their money.

Very true, because they are usually sac'd at the end of the 3rd turn...or whenever it is anyways.