tactica: C. Hoffman

izikial

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess it comes down to playstyle/preference. I told my friend that the MT is probably more useful, he read both of the totems, and still liked the Attendant more. He's also somewhat new to the game (probably about 10'ish games with the dreamer and 2 with Hoff), and doesn't look on these here forums for advice, so idk.

He seems to be stuck on the idea that because it has a gun (ok there are very few constructs with guns but still) and has similar triggers to Ryle, that it must be amazing. Idk, I would take a mt if I had Hoff, but w/e....

I too would prefer the Toolkit, but the Attendant is probably the most durable totem so far (well Grave Spirit can't be targeted, but other than that one), and hardest hitting aswell..

Thus I still consider it a pretty neat model for just 3SS.

Perhaps if you don't take the Peacekeeper as your ride and have a more static crew it'd be a more considerable replacement, or if you have it to hang around with Ryle to spread the machine maintenance further.. I dunno..

Well, one option I saw thrown around for the Attendant is in a Brawl with Levi. When you sacrifice your SPAs to form the Desolation Engine, if it's close enough to the Totem, then it would gain 4 Scrap Counters thanks to Clockwork tools. You've got two options then at that point. You could heal the Totem back up, and have it carrying around a veritable time-bomb for Detonate Scrap. Or, you could kill the Totem, have it drop the Scrap, and then let Levi summon more SPAs.

Outside of that, I'm not too sure what I would use it for. More Maintain Machines would obviously be nice in some cases, and using Machine Puppet on the Attendant's Mauser isn't terrible, though I don't really know why you'd do that when you could probably Machine Puppet Ryle, the Peacekeeper, or a Hunter instead.

I feel the Hunter is pretty good with him, mostly for the option of assimilating Ambush and using Override Edict on a model yet to activate. Could also be useful for a harder to resist Open Circuit without using Soulstones, and potentially Justice-esque melee potential with Hoffman using Machine Puppet on himself. Ambush seems a reasonable assimilate, not sure its worth bringing the hunter for it, but those extra positive flips seem like they could be rather handy.

He's also got great potential with Ramos. Ramos takes a Brass Arachnid and Hoffman a Mechanical Toolkit. Assimilate Stoke from the Brass Arachnid and grant Hoffman a tomes suit to cast flips with the toolkit, with the right cards in hand this can provide quite a few reactivates a round.

He's also got great potential with Ramos. Ramos takes a Brass Arachnid and Hoffman a Mechanical Toolkit. Assimilate Stoke from the Brass Arachnid and grant Hoffman a tomes suit to cast flips with the toolkit, with the right cards in hand this can provide quite a few reactivates a round.

Oooh ooh! I hadn't thought about that. Nifty. Wouldn't need the crazy 11 :tomes or higher either that the Arachnid normally needs. Very cool. Could work well for the insane Ramos Spider Factory for the first couple of turns. Hoff, Ramos, and both Totems just hang near the back to start with. Perhaps a spider or two as well, to get him up to his full Ca of 10. Only 6's or better for Reactivate? Yes please!

I dunno if anyone's brought this up yet, but...

How to get +8 Armor:

Have the Guardian use Stalwart (+2)

Activate CeeMan, Assimilate the Armor from the Guardian (or whatever has +2), cast Override Edict on the Guardian. (+2 + 2).

Guardian Casts Shield Wall. (+2 + 2 + 4)

Viola, +8 Armor.

Final Step, get shot by a Gunsmith, Hans, or clawed by the Ikiryo.

• 2 weeks later...

One tactic I've thought of that I haven't seen mentioned anywhere else yet -

-Use Tap Power on a construct that has already activated (giving it slow for the next turn)

-On the following turn, activate Hoffman before the Slow construct and Tap its Power again.

As slow doesn't stack, Hoffman can get two activations with Fast in exchange for a construct getting one with Slow...

Unfortunately, Levi can't hire totems, so Hoffman would be without one in a brawl. Oddly enough, Hoffman is still the only practical choice for Levi in a brawl :surprised.

No, this was clarified in the Rules Forum that Levi can't connect to totems, but in a Brawl, you could indeed hire one for the other Master.

I was bored in work and started doing some Theoryfaux. I reckon the Lawyer could be our low defence problems. Have him hiding behind the rest of the crew, putting Hard to Wound 2 on everything would be pretty decent. Combined with the armour, people would have to work to do any real damage. Plus, he could use Closing Arguement on a model for Ryle to target - to make sure they're really dead. And to top it off, he doesn't need any of the cards Hoffman needs!

Am I on to something or am I just nuts?

So, I know that Hoff is a total construct master, but I'd like to point out that Non-Construct ranged support is invaluable with Hoff (in my experience/frustration playing against him)

Austringers....well aside from being one of the most retarded, underpriced units in the game, are awesome with the Hoff. If you're running a standard line (Hoff, Ryle, Peacekeeper, Guardian), the Austingers give you serious ranged deterrence....oh and they can get armor from the Guardian, and they can chain activate models (oh and cb7 too boot...did I mention they're only 5 f**king points?!?!).

Nino/Santiago/Samael....just imagine them with armor +4 (I think? I don't believe Shield Wall is Construct specific, correct me if I'm wrong). Either way, their damage at range is much appreciated. Combine them with Ryle and an Attendant and you've got a VERY survivable, static gunline.

I'd play Hoffman with a Steampunk Archanid Swarm.

Then assimilate Self repair or Melee master.

Then Scatter them into threee Archanids all in Base contact with Hoffman or at least near him. So he gets +3 Ca. And he always has a spider to slow down for getting fast.

waht du u think?

I'd play Hoffman with a Steampunk Archanid Swarm.

Then assimilate Self repair or Melee master.

Then Scatter them into threee Archanids all in Base contact with Hoffman or at least near him. So he gets +3 Ca. And he always has a spider to slow down for getting fast.

waht du u think?

It doesn't seem like too bad an option for 10 Soul stones -

-Gives him some cheap models when split apart to bulk out activations, while still being Constructs.

-Slow doesn't stack, so feel free to use Tap Power on a summoned Arachnid / Swarm for no ill effect.

-Melee Master is nice, but it will be fairly card intensive for Hoffman, since he doesn't have very good Cb.

-Self Repair is also good, but can be taken from a Guardian as well.

Main disadvantage is paying 10 ss for a model that is Ht 1 (and therefore not useful for 'Drawn to Metal', but if your list can afford that then it isn't a huge issue. Also, as he can't make Arachnids, you have to be slightly careful not to lose one if they split because then they can't go back together (and will be insignificant for the rest of the game)...

The only thing i see is that the spiders are only ht1

I'd play something like this:

in 25ss

Hoffman

Toolkit 4

Peacekeeper 9

Spider Swarm 10

that's kinda few models...

for 35 I'd add a Guardian and a Watcher

Keep the crew all around Hoffman, except for the watcher. Walking to the enemy and then attack.

Don't know if it'll work because there is one spot around Hoffman wherer u've got a lot of punch but if your opponent is faster you'll run into nothing...

The only thing i see is that the spiders are only ht1

I'd play something like this:

in 25ss

Hoffman

Toolkit 4

Peacekeeper 9

Spider Swarm 10

that's kinda few models...

for 35 I'd add a Guardian and a Watcher

Keep the crew all around Hoffman, except for the watcher. Walking to the enemy and then attack.

Don't know if it'll work because there is one spot around Hoffman wherer u've got a lot of punch but if your opponent is faster you'll run into nothing...

That 25 stone list is very reliant on the Peacekeeper (for armour and movement) but it can split the spiders for some activation advantage...

Also, relatively few significant models (3)...

Yeah but i think in such a small game the peacekeeper with the toolkit to heal him and hoffman to ignore his experimental thing is a real monster.

I dont like Ryle so I'd try to play Hoffman without him. In this case there should be more constructs.

Peacekeeper or Guardian? Or both?

And the Hunter is kinda needed to drag the models to the Group. Because Hoffman is stronger with a lot of construct around him and not splittet all over the table, so he could easy be outmoved.

I ran Hoffman for the first time yesterday to see how he runs . I didn't have all the pieces i feel that makes the crew solid . we did 25 stones , i took .

Hoffman

Hunter

Guardian

Watcher

Ryle

It was a shared claim jump with 3 players , Hoffman is very hard to kill the watcher is awesome and a good target for slow when you have a good hand already . The guardian is well amazing and a must for his crew . The hunter was Hoffmans ride but other than that really didn't do much and was killed easily he does not have enough wounds . I would have liked to have had the toolkit , I feel this piece is just as vital as the guardian . Ryle was amazing , shooting 7 times a turn sometimes .

At a normal 35 stone game

I would go

Hoffman

peacekeeper

guardian

watcher

watcher

toolkit

ryle

leaves me rocking 6 soul stones

• 2 weeks later...