10-23-10 RIW Livonia Tournament *Malifaux bag in prize pool!

nerdelemental

Chance, Fate, and Luck of the Draw

Manipulating the Odds in the Malifaux Lottery!

RIW Livonia - Malifaux TOURNAMENT

10-23-2010, 11:30am

$5 Buy-in

"Fate manifests almost tangibly to key individuals in Malifaux. If you are a true master then you may have what it takes to manipulate those powerful forces some call luck - but you know chance is just another adversary for you to control..."

Where:

RIW Hobbies

29116 5 Mile Rd

Livonia, MI 48154

Phone- 734-261-7233

When:

Saturday October 23rd 11:30 AM start time!

$5 Buy-in earns you a seat in this three round event.

Rules:

35 Stone Scrap!

3 One hour and 30 minute rounds (adjusted down as appropriate).

Board and Strategies will be pre-determined. Army builds may be adjusted once board and strategies are determined per player.

Up to 2 Schemes may be used.

Unique Event Specifics!

A small prize will be awarded to 1st-3rd place as a designation of success. However, true prizes will be determined through a lottery system (details being developed - TBD).

Throughout the event players will be awarded designated lottery tickets for fulfilling specific objectives to be drawn at the end of the event to determine prizes.

Examples include (but these are not solidified):

Da Vinci (painting): For each painted model (and based) you field during the event you'll get a raffle ticket to go into the DaVinci raffle. For example, if your first list includes a painted Lady Justice, a Death Marshal, and an Executioner, you'll get a single raffle ticket for each no matter how many times you run them. Switch your list to a Perdita list with a painted Samael, Papa Loco, and Hans and you get additional tickets for those models.

Planned Prize: Store Credit

I'm Not a Loser!: Every game you loseearns you a ticket for this one.

Planned Prize: A Mali box set (pre-chosen by Bowen)

My BFF: Every player will receive a raffle ticket to award to their favorite opponent of the day. It should represent their most favorable game experience and the person awarded the ticket should exemplify good sportsmanship and patience and generally made the game a highlight of the day.

Planned Prize: Official Malifaux Case

Dirty Schemer: Every Scheme you successfully complete will earn you a ticket. Announced or not!

I intend on creating several more secondary raffles just in case we end up with a large enough group or it's too clear some of these just won't work. For now, assume these are the categories you're shooting for.

Prize Pack

edited: the above raffles include my planned prize pack per each category. TBD at the event depending on participation.

Prizes will be determined depending on participation. Assume store discount of various dollar amounts taken from the event buy-in and bolstered from my own collection.

* Malifaux Army Transport!

Pam has offered the official Battlefoam Malifaux bag as one of the prizes on top of store credit or other awards (assuming a decent turn-out of players).

disclaimer: rules, prizes, and event specifics subject to change up to the moment of the event. Low participation will not result in the cancellation of the event but may impact the availability of prize support. The event's special rules and lottery format are designed to reward casual play in a slightly competetive environment. New players and poor performance may acutally earn more tickets into various raffles!

Edited by nerdelemental

Wow that sounds like a great tourney idea. I am not gonna use it for my Halloween event but it sounds like a great idea for my Christmas tourney.

I am so jealous that your FLGS throws in so much support for your tourneys. My FLGS throws in a little extra store credit on top of our buy in but they are never willing to drop a 80 dollar bag into the mix.

Wow that sounds like a great tourney idea. I am not gonna use it for my Halloween event but it sounds like a great idea for my Christmas tourney.

I am so jealous that your FLGS throws in so much support for your tourneys. My FLGS throws in a little extra store credit on top of our buy in but they are never willing to drop a 80 dollar bag into the mix.

She's top notch, that's for sure. She's got the right mind-set that if we know she supports us we'll more likely support her. And we really do.

I hope the tournament idea does go over well. I've given a lot of thought to encouraging a fun play environment and not a cut-throat one while still maintaining the flavor. So, here, the prizes are through the lottery: I may have only ONE painted model for one ticket and another guy has 15 total so 15 tickets....like the game, though, the odds may favor the other guy, but only one ticket will be drawn and it just might go to me.

1, 2, 3 place won't matter much other than for bragging rights (and sometimes that's the most motivation players need...)

That's a really good question. I'm surprised I didn't address it earlier.

I'll have to talk to my other local Henchman to get a good idea of how we want to proceed locally and give an official response later. I'd love to hear from everyone to get some feedback about what people think is appropriate.

Up until now we've allowed proxying on models that have not currently been released. I use some proxy pieces for fun in some lists and some that I've kit-bashed. For example, in my Lilith army I often run two matures but I don't want two of the same model so I have one that I cobbled together and run them.

Now that all of Book I is out (save the rider) I'm tempted to end the proxying. But I still don't really care.

Assume that we allow proxy pieces so long as the model is not released. The model used must accurately portray the model it's pretending to be. Stat cards must be created (or photocopy from the book) so they can be shared with an opponent at a glance - no thumbing through the book! Finally: every proxy needs approval by the TO (that's me!). Although I'm uber-easy - on this issue and just about every joke you can think up about me being easy. It's all true.

Ok cool. I was just wondering how other houses did it. I'm the same way at my lgs, if they don't have a model yet you can proxy as long as it is a clear representation of the model you are trying to portray. No space marine be used as a guard captain or something along the lines of that.

Well thank you sir for answering my question and I will see you October 23rd.

Josh

• 4 weeks later...

I think I have the raffle categories worked up!

Remember that all prizes, including the bag, are contingent upon the attendance and may have to get changed appropriately depending upon the prize purse we collect.

Da Vinci (painting): For each painted model (and based) you field during the event you'll get a raffle ticket to go into the DaVinci raffle. For example, if your first list includes a painted Lady Justice, a Death Marshal, and an Executioner, you'll get a single raffle ticket for each no matter how many times you run them. Switch your list to a Perdita list with a painted Samael, Papa Loco, and Hans and you get additional tickets for those models.

I'm Not a Loser!: Every game you loseearns you a ticket for this one.

Planned Prize: A Mali box set (pre-chosen by Bowen)

My BFF: Every player will receive a raffle ticket to award to their favorite opponent of the day. It should represent their most favorable game experience and the person awarded the ticket should exemplify good sportsmanship and patience and generally made the game a highlight of the day.

Planned Prize: Official Malifaux Case

Dirty Schemer: Every Scheme you successfully complete will earn you a ticket. Announced or not!

I've updated the first page with this information. Remember that prizes are TBD based upon participation, but I'm hearing a batch of the locals and a few out of towners are planning on coming, so it should be good and have some decent support thrown at it.

If any of you have any suggestions for alternative raffle categories, roll them by me!

Edited by nerdelemental

• 2 weeks later...