Metro Detroit Malifaux League 8.29 start

jmp_mydog

August 29th will begin the 1st Season of the Metro Detroit Malifaux League. Please visit the league group to sign up.

Cost: $5 buy-in to go to prize support (prizes TBD based on participation)

Timeline: 5 weeks

Games per week: 3 max (will average total points each week)

Store Location: Player Choice

Sundays: Twilight Emporium, by appointment only

Mondays: Pandemonium in Garden City, 6:00pm-12:00pm

Tuesdays: RIW Hobbies in Livonia, 6:00pm-10:00pm

Rest of the Week: Play wherever you like against league members, just turn in reports before Sunday.

Story driven system: Each week three strategies will be assigned to each faction. They will tie together to help create a story. For example week one Guild may have, treasure hunt, asssinate, and claim jump. On the handout for the faction will be a simple narrative to explain why you're playing those strategies.

Games will be scored as 3VP for win, 2VP for a tie and 1VP for a loss.

If players submit a write up and photos (in electronic format) of the game they each get 1 bonus VP for the weekly average and and entry in a random prize draw.

Also as a bonus at the end of the league, every player that has a fully painted 35 stone crew will receive 3 bonus VP applied to their league total.

You can play up to 3 games a week, which will be averaged to determine your league points. You can play whoever you want but there may be bonuses for playing against a certain faction on occasion. So if you played 3 games and won, tied and lost you'd have 2VP for the week.

For a sample week strategy click here.

Edited by jmp_mydog

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can play up to 3 games a week, which will be averaged to determine your league points. You can play whoever you want but there may be bonuses for playing against a certain faction on occasion. So if you played 3 games and won, tied and lost you'd have 2VP for the week.

The only issue I see with this system is that if you win your first game, you have no incentive to "risk" playing a second or third game, while the "loser" of said game Must find more games to play, and even if they win both of their next games is still in the hole.

just an observation, not trying to rain on the parade.

The only issue I see with this system is that if you win your first game, you have no incentive to "risk" playing a second or third game, while the "loser" of said game Must find more games to play, and even if they win both of their next games is still in the hole.

just an observation, not trying to rain on the parade.

You think a 2 game requirement should be in effect? Might as well get all the kinks ironed out in the month before it starts.

I say leave it alone! Consider some alternative prize or incentive for most games played, whatever.

I know that I'm currently in a "just get out and enjoy the company" mode and I like my one game a week pace. Whether I win or lose the first game won't matter much to me about playing a second. If I have time, I certainly wouldn't mind playing a second match but I'm all for a more relaxing league environment.

My vote. I'll play along with whatever rules get put into place. For a league, perhaps that should be where I up my gaming mindset. Just that with the new scenarios and the story driven elements of this league, I think there's enough merit to just letting us play 1-3 games and let the chips fall where they may.

As an alternative, you could tweak the format: the first game is a locked in VP for the week. Additional 1-2 games can be added as an average, or something along those lines?

I like this idea with one exception

Why not just use the VP scored from the actually games as score instead of a new system.

Dan

In our previous leagues we had issues with some of the random events/special terrain. Some of them grant additional VP's and rather than eliminate them as a possibility for the game we switched to a standard win/tie/loss point system. It keeps the players more honest and eliminates running away with a High VP total.

I say leave it alone! Consider some alternative prize or incentive for most games played, whatever.

I know that I'm currently in a "just get out and enjoy the company" mode and I like my one game a week pace. Whether I win or lose the first game won't matter much to me about playing a second. If I have time, I certainly wouldn't mind playing a second match but I'm all for a more relaxing league environment.

My vote. I'll play along with whatever rules get put into place. For a league, perhaps that should be where I up my gaming mindset. Just that with the new scenarios and the story driven elements of this league, I think there's enough merit to just letting us play 1-3 games and let the chips fall where they may.

As an alternative, you could tweak the format: the first game is a locked in VP for the week. Additional 1-2 games can be added as an average, or something along those lines?

I agree, I think it's fine as is for what I want to do with the league. The big deal is to encourage more games without handicapping people who can only play one.

I want to keep it story driven, and fun for everyone.

1. Kudos to you for doing this. Leagues are great for building up player bases. Mike did an awesome job way back when with the Metro WM League.

I never had the stomach to run them myself though.

Story driven system: Each week three strategies will be assigned to each faction. They will tie together to help create a story. For example week one Guild may have, treasure hunt, asssinate, and claim jump. On the handout for the faction will be a simple narrative to explain why you're playing those strategies.

2. This is FANTASTIC! I love that you are focusing in on the story aspect of the game. Personally, I think that this is its strongest point, especially for player retention after the flashy newness of "Ooo...look, no dice, Ma!" wears off.

Wish I had time to jump in.

Are there going to be any makeup rules for people that miss a week?

I know for the first week I'm In columbus the 29-2 and then go straight to Indiana to see a friend and gencon.

Given that you have from Sunday to Sunday to play your games at any location of your choosing, I'm going to have to say no make-up games.

Since I'll be tracking the results via the Yahoo group so everyone can see where they stand at any point, make-up games confuse the issue.

Also as nerd said, END OF AUGUST. Plenty of time for everyone to have bought, read and played with their new toys before the start of the league.

Sorry homies, I'm leaving this plague infested desolation known as Michigan and moving back home to the good ol' Land of Enchantment.

Ahahahah! Bollocks to the lot of you!

Just kidding. I don't want to move, but the wife is using the kids as leverage and I have to cut my time short here. It's been great (except for the damned humidity).

Sorry homies, I'm leaving this plague infested desolation known as Michigan and moving back home to the good ol' Land of Enchantment.

Ahahahah! Bollocks to the lot of you!

Just kidding. I don't want to move, but the wife is using the kids as leverage and I have to cut my time short here. It's been great (except for the damned humidity).

Bummer...enjoy New Mexico, I hear it's a dry heat.

Your mom got banned!

Dave, you gonna be free from Henchmanning (???) to grab some games at Gen Con? (assumimng you are going). I won't be playing any events, but I'll be looking for pickup games. I still haven't played Perdita yet too.

Ugh. I was really, really hoping to. The one night I could have was after the party and by 11:30pm, I assumed you were locked to your room with your girl and I was a bit too frazzled to focus anyway.

Besides, much of my crews were used for the pay-demos and I'd have had to scrounge. I could have used Sonnia or Viktorias or some of my unpainted crews, I guess.

Tuesday, Josh has me on a dance card, but I have a ton of goodies to distribute and show off so everyone can gather around me!

Ugh. I was really, really hoping to. The one night I could have was after the party and by 11:30pm, I assumed you were locked to your room with your girl and I was a bit too frazzled to focus anyway.

Besides, much of my crews were used for the pay-demos and I'd have had to scrounge. I could have used Sonnia or Viktorias or some of my unpainted crews, I guess.

Tuesday, Josh has me on a dance card, but I have a ton of goodies to distribute and show off so everyone can gather around me!

Should I bring the WIP Lab? The Qi & Gong, or the Desert Train set?

To everyone who hasn't signed up for the league yet please be sure to do so. I'm working on designing some best in faction pins that are league specific.

In honor of Molly coming out this ones going to be entitled "The Gorgion Rising"