Painting the Dreamer & LCB journal

EricJ

He's actually quite hunched, perhaps that shot doesn't show it as it's front on. Truth be told, he's even more leaning forward than you see in this shot, because I actually liked him standing up a bit more, so I bent his legs back a little to get him more upright. Just personal preference I suppose.

And thanks about the painting review! I haven't painted very much in the last few years as Malifaux seems to have taken all my time lately, I'm a bit rusty, but I'll do my best on him :D

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, you can order this miniature from the Wyrd online store August 5-8 only. Or of course pick it up at Gencon, we only have so many that we're bringing to Gencon, but of course, if we sell out at the show, you can always go online back at your hotel and pick one up from the online store...just not quite the same instant gratification. :D

Todays update. As you can see he's gotten primed and actually 1 layer of paint and a wash over most of him, although you can't really tell that in this photo. You can see on the far leg the start of the skintone. I'm going with a Dark color, which is actually bluish (again for some reason my camera is not picking up the bluish tones...need to adjust white balance). Then I'm doing a rather severe transition to a bright tone.

This type of style tends to make the eye think the model is in a dark area with one single, rather harsh source of light, which can be a streetlamp or the moon, but definitely not out in the daylight. Also that the skin is rather reflective, or slimy, which I think is a nice feel for this guy. I'm going to for the look of this model almost appearing as a shadow, and of course the dreamer will be happily riding the shoulder. I've thrown in a Ronin to the shot to give you another feeling of scale.

LCB-paint-1.jpg

enjoy!

Edited by EricJ

Lighting is my personal holy grail in mini painting. I'd love to see a step by step blog, especially that The Lord Chompy Bits is such a big model and thus a good example.

Recently I've started experimenting with glowing eyes, fiery mouth and smaller light effects like that, but I'm still afraid of going all out.

Hey Eric, great idead for this thread. Your style of painting will look sweet on this.

Would you mind noting the paints used as much as you can so those of us scoring at home can try to learn some new combos.

For example, what colors did you mix for the base coat and what did you use for the wash.

Thanks