How to paint blood splatter?

kbdrand

Tamiya Clear Red makes for excellent "fresh"/stereotypical looking blood.

I find that dried blood tends to be more brownish, so the stains for that would be darker, I don't like the "old" blood though myself.

Edit- Spatter is harder to say how to do correctly, because there are very different patterns associated with the trauma that can cause them. Perhaps you could tell us what sort of look/effect out of the spatter you want? For instance, high speed saws will produce a much different pattern than a gunshot and both of those would be different than a baseball bat. Distances also plays a part in the process. :P

Edited by enderwiggin
  • Like 1

I'm not trying to go all Dexter on my models. Just want some of the models in my crews to have realistic spatter for things like saws, other melee weapons etc. I'm not looking for accuracy, just how to do the effect (i.e. are people putting the paint on the brush and flicking it, dabbing it on, etc).

To make blood splatters:

Dip a small straw (such as the ones used as coffee stirrers) in whichever color paint you are using, then blow through the straw hard enough to ensure the paint does more than dribble out, while also not so much that all you get is a fine mist. I suggest practicing a few times before doing it on a model.

I use a stiff bristled brush dipped in equal parts Citadel Red Ink & Black Ink - I place my finger on the top of the bristles while holding the brush a few inches away from the model the pull back quickly to create a nice spray. Practice on some vertical paper first so you can get the hang of how much paint/ink to use and the distance you'll hold the brush in relation to the model. :)

I'm not trying to go all Dexter on my models. Just want some of the models in my crews to have realistic spatter for things like saws, other melee weapons etc. I'm not looking for accuracy, just how to do the effect (i.e. are people putting the paint on the brush and flicking it, dabbing it on, etc).

Guess my other post didn't take. XP

Dexter was actually the show that got me interested in blood spatter and patterns.

Anyway, I just use an old brush. You get a finer spray for me, though I like the ink's effect vs. paint.

Many people go back over the Tamiya with a darker (add ink, rather than paint) coat, but I like the fresh look so I wouldn't do the coagulating look myself more than likely.

Some Tamiya clear red blood examples.

Bloody.jpg

3stage2.jpg

(Stage two with some added black ink)

6stage3.jpg

P1040662-1.jpg

P1040343-1.jpg

Funnily enough, this isn't the first time the board has seen the Tamiya supporters XD.

https://wyrd-games.net/forum/showthread.php?t=805

Here a site i found that could be helpful with the differnt types of splatter you may try, but to warn you the sight has photos of blood or blood like photos so not for the faint hearted, but if you were able to look at the posts before mine you should be fine,

http://bloody2.com/types.aspx

http://bloody2.com/experiments.aspx

Hope this helps.

-Andrew

When I do dried blood, I alternate using crimson gore and dark flesh in a semi-drybrushing pattern. I say semi-drybrushing b/c I use an old splayed out brush and just lightly wipe it off on a paper towel, then go straight at the miniature with the flat "tip", and that usually gives me a nice splatter that is very controlled.

For me, it depends on how many layers of blood there are. The older the layer, the darker I make it- I mix brown and eventually black into a dark red, and do a wash of black around the edges. Fresher blood is redder, with brown splotches and edging. Fresh-ish blood is just red, and brand-new splatter is bright red with varnish. If you're painting multiple blood splatters, like something that's been covered in blood multiple times, just be careful to keep your layers distinct.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 years later...