RISE of DECEMBER - 30 point Scrap at RIW Hobbies - Livonia MI Dec 12

nerdelemental

wanted-poster-riseofdecember.jpg

RISE OF DECEMBER

Malifaux TOURNAMENT!

Dec 12, RIW Hobbies, Livonia, MI

30 Stone Scraps! (bring one legal list- no changes throughout the event!) Changed! See Addendums at end of this first post!

~ 3 (possibly 4!) One hour and fifteen minute rounds (adjusted at the discretion of the TO).

~ Strategies will be assigned every round.

~ Up to 2 Schemes may be selected per game (you must write them down whether revealed to your opponent or not).

Registration and pre-game discussion will begin around Noon and cards flip around 12:30

$5.00 Entry fee (for prizes)

Incredible PRIZE PURSE:

First: THREE starter boxes of your choice

Second: TWO starter boxes of your choice

Third: ONE starter box of your choice

Painting prize for best painted Single Model!

(Entries must be legal Malifaux models but do not need to be included in your playlist for the day) (See Addendum 2 below)

Additional prizes TBD based upon attendance (in the form of store credit).

All players in the event will receive a 20% discount on Wyrd product in store or special order (if she sells out of something)

More specifics: We'll continue the trend of smaller scale games at the 30 Soulstone level for several months and hopefully bump that up to a 35 or 40 this coming spring.

Every board will be set and players assigned randomly throughout the day. The board will be labeled as appropriate from the Encounter Locations on pages 99-103. Each board will use the Random Encounter Features as defined on page 98

RISE OF DECEMBER

Special scenarios, terrain, and possibly Random Encounter Features will be used to represent the stirrings and influence of the Neverborn December.

(I might preview some ahead of time, but be prepared to read some of these special rules on the day of, too!)

Proxy clause:

Models not yet released to the public my be played if a suitable alternative "proxy" model is available and meets the following requirements:

1. it must be on a legal 30, 40, 50 mm base as appropriate per the model's specifications.

2. It should represent the model for which it's pretending to be as accurately as possible (i.e., your GW Ork might be on a 30 mm base, but it won't pass as a Viktoria but it might pass for one of the gremlins).

3. You must bring your use of proxied models to your opponent's attention prior to deployment. Failure to do so wll mean I'll have to do something about it. :eviltongu

4. If you're afraid that your single Steampunk Arachnid doesn't look like a Steampunk Abomination, run it by me. I'll have the final say in a proxy's legality.

RIW Hobbies

29116 Five Mile Rd.

Livonia, MI 48154

Phone #: 734-261-7233

(no lunch or dinner provided but we'll find opportunities to grab a number of options within walking distance between gaming rounds, I promise)

There's room for 20 comfortably. 24 tight. Up to 30 if we all don't mind brushing up against one another's butts.

1. my bro: WEiRD sKeTCH (maybe, but he wants it!)

2. Nitelook

3. Godspeed

4. MBowsher

5. Leb

6. Baconsizzler

7. Parius

8. Zombiedood

9. Grottoknight

10. Pairofducks (bailed!)

11. Magno

12. Fool (Guaranteed Wisconsinite in the house!)

13. Darkphantomz

14. Jokerohki (with WEiRD sKeTCH as another maybe)

15. Jmp_mydog - Josh P

16. Johnnyred

17. paperbagfox

18. Bulldog

19. Jeff (What, no cool forum name?)

20. Omenbringer

21. Rob "I don't even own any models yet" Steiner

(check this first post before the event as details and/or prize support information may update as necessary)

Addendum 1: Following the flavor and order of operations established for game setup in the book, instead of bringing ONE list that you're locked into for the day, you will now only declare your faction of the day at the onset of the tournament. Once you have your pairing established for your next game, you will be given a single strategy for both players. Then you will be given approximately TEN minutes to [secretly] build an appropriate list to best handle the scenario. Your crew may be completely different from game to game.

Addendum 2: Painting contest: after much deliberation and thought with the locals and some online friends, I'll ask that each entry in the painting contest must be entered by the painter himself. In the future, I may give awards based on "hobby enthusiast" that may open the possibility of awards for paintwork not done by the entrant, but this is intended as a reward for players also learning the art of the brush.

Addendum 3: Strategies Announced (both players play the same Strategy):

Game 1: Claim Jump

Game 2: There Must Have Been Some Magic in That Old Silk Hat They Found

* place a 30 mm Snowman token in the center of the board.

During deployment each player declares one of his models to be carrying a Magic Silk Hat. Any model carrying a Silk Hat also gains the following abilitites:

(1) Build Snowman: if no snowman is currently in play, this model may create one at the center point of the board.

(0) When they Placed it on His Head: interact with Snowman Token. Summon the Snowman. The Snowman token gains the following stats and becomes friendly to the player placing the hat.

Wk/Ch: 4/6, Ht: 2, Wp: 5, Ca: 5, Df: 3, Wd: 5

Snowy Fist: Rg: 1melee, Cb: 4, Dg: 1/2/4

Victory Conditions: Score 4 VP if the Snowman is in the controlling player's deployment zone at the end of the game.

Score 2 VP if you control a Snowman but it is not in your deployment zone at the end of the game.

Snowman FAQ: When a Snowman is killed it drops its hat. Place a Silk Hat token where the Snowman was. A model may pick up the hat for a (0) action, but only a model friendly to the original hat bearer. In other words, each crew has a hat and only they can pick up their hat - not their enemy.

Game 3: Assassinate (with mandated unique Event: Snowball Fight [see below])

Game 4 (if neccessary): Slaughter

Addendum 4:

Each Location will have a replaced Special Event/Special Feature table unique to the Rise of December:

Black Joker: Thick Snow (same as "Rubble" pg. 98) but, this is an event rather than Special Terrain (so it gets flipped for every turn and only lasts for then next turn)

1-2: White-out! (see below!)

3-4: Heavy Snows (pg. 99)

5-7: On Thin Ice! (see below!)

8-9: Snowball Fight! (see below!)

10-11: An Open Fire... (same as "Campsite" pg. 98)

12-13: Cruel Winds (pg. 99)

Red Joker: Thick Snow (same as "Rubble" pg. 98) but, this is an event rather than Special Terrain (so it gets flipped for every turn and only lasts for then next turn)

White-out!

During the next turn, any portion of the table without a covering terrain piece counts as covering terrain, and models cannot draw LoS further than 3".

Snowball Fight!

During the next turn, no opposed duel may be initiated by any model other than "Throw Snowball."

Every model loses its basic weapons for the turn but gains the following:

Throw Snowball

Rg: :ranged6

Cb: 5

Dg: 0/0/1

Throw Snowball may be used in melee. During a Snowball Fight, all models may ignore harmless and any ability requiring a Wp check to target an opposing model (Even that tart Pandora can be hit with a snowball!).

A player gains +1 VP whenever one of their models inflicts damage upon an opposing model with a Throw Snowball strike.

On Thin Ice!

For the duration of the game, any portion of the table without a terrain piece counts as hazardous terrain. Each model receives Slow as they slip and fall on their ass. Models may perform a Df -> 11 duel at the beginning of their activation to ignore the hazardous condition until the end of the turn. Rules of standard unopposed duels apply.

Edited by nerdelemental

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there gona be a fully painted army award?

Oh, and if something was commissioned, can the owner enter it as a best painted contestant?

First question: currently, I doubt it. Planning on single model (as specified in the first post, but there's a lot to read up there). However, as we get closer, if there's a batch of people committed to the event I may open a revised "fully painted army" or have two separate painting awards.

Second question: this one's tougher. On the one hand, I want to reward the gamer that's also so committed he'll cover each aspect of the hobby. That's a real champion. On the other hand, as an artist, myself, I recognize the interest a player has in gettting a fully painted army out on the table to represent the game better than he, himself, might and the commissioned work does still promote the game, shows interest in painted work, and even though it's not the work of the player, it does represent money as investment rather than time and skill. Additionally, this awards raw talent, too, and some players have great drive to paint well and really want to, but never will be good. Finally, I'd like to say "I'm rewarding the player that can paint, too" but the reality is that if a person commissioned a piece from some far away painter in a far away land, how would I know unless he made it public knowledge? I'll continue to take comments and advice on this topic.

Second question: this one's tougher. On the one hand, I want to reward the gamer that's also so committed he'll cover each aspect of the hobby. That's a real champion. On the other hand, as an artist, myself, I recognize the interest a player has in gettting a fully painted army out on the table to represent the game better than he, himself, might and the commissioned work does still promote the game, shows interest in painted work, and even though it's not the work of the player, it does represent money as investment rather than time and skill. Additionally, this awards raw talent, too, and some players have great drive to paint well and really want to, but never will be good. Finally, I'd like to say "I'm rewarding the player that can paint, too" but the reality is that if a person commissioned a piece from some far away painter in a far away land, how would I know unless he made it public knowledge? I'll continue to take comments and advice on this topic.

This is always a rough decision to make. But I prefer to not have the person with the biggest pocketbook 'buy' the award. If you catch my drift.

But that's just me. ;)

Well, the reason I ask is that I do alot of commission work for another attendee, and believe me it's not the biggest pocket book as a matter, I do some amazing speed painting for the quality I put out, so I charge what the model cost ($35 to paint a box set for a friend, not alot to ask) and have turned out 2 boxes +3 blisters of Arcanists in under a week, actually roughly 3 days worth of work (few hours a day.)

I think, we have it planned that if he wins anything, he will not claim it as his own and pick me up something worth half the prize from his own pocket. But that's just what we were discussing. Really tho, I don't expect to win any awards, but it was a thought we were both having that is a toughy to keep fair in all regards.