11-22-09 Garden City MI, Pandemonium's Inaugural Malifaux Tournament

DasWeave

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alrighty, time for a bump and a copy of our player handout online.

You will still get a copy when you arrive and we will be providing a Crew List for you to fill out so that we can submit info to Wyrd as to what's being played.

Greetings Players and welcome to this event showcasing the game Malifaux.

This is a simple information sheet to remind players what they can expect in today’s tournament.

First and foremost, the main objective today is to have fun in a competitive environment, but as it is free to enter and people are still learning we encourage a relaxed helpful attitude towards each other. The prizes to win are very cool, but it should never be reason for any kind of rules lawyer tactics or any manipulation of any game states, if one finds his or her opponent less experienced with the game than themselves.

We will be enforcing a strict penalty system of any player abusing Slow Play or their rules knowledge against their opponent. You will get one warning, and after which there will be a game loss penalty assessed if such tactics continue. If it continues after that point to be an issue, a player can be disqualified and removed from the event. We wish people to have a good time and expect players extending courtesy towards each other. Now this sounds a little heavy, but I assure you it is done for the benefit of all participants.

Now that that has been said, on with the rest of the show.

Players will build Crews with a value up to 30 Soulstones

We will be playing 4 Rounds. Each round will be 1 hour and 20 Minutes and the encounter will be a Scrap. During the round player will use the Varying Game Length rules in the book. You will play to 6 Turns and then the player who activated the last model begins flipping Fate Cards to see if the game continues another turn on a value of 10 or higher. This will continue turn by turn until a player flips a card with a value of 9 or less.

At the end of the encounter, players will total their VP’s and the higher score is determined the winner. If players are tied in VP’s, then the encounter is a draw.

If time ends before players can complete 6 turns and the Varying Game Length rules, then the following occurs for end of time procedure.

1. Any current ACTION is resolved and then play stops and players compare VP’s to determine a winner or a Draw.

2. If Time is called before a player can declare an action, NO further actions are taken, play stops and you compare VP’s to determine a Winner or a Draw.

There is no scheduled lunch break, but I have no issues with Food and Drink being brought into the event area as long as you take steps to avoid damaging any property belonging to each other or the store. There are multiple delivery menus available in the store if players wish to band together and order Pizza or Chinese food for example.

At the beginning of a round the following happens.

1. The organizer will assign players to a table and will give each player a match slip labeling them as either Player 1 or 2.

2. Locations will be determined by the organizer and listed on your match slips.

3. Terrain is static, so players will not have to determine any terrain placement. Please avoid moving terrain on your board for future rounds.

4. Players will determine their deployment using the Deployment Chart on pg 92 of the Rulebook.

5. Strategies will be randomly determined by the organizer after players have deployed. The organizer will flip once to determine the Strategy that all players with “Player 1” on their match slip will use. He will then flip again to determine what all players with “Player 2” on their slip will receive as their Strategy. If a Joker is flipped, then the organizer chooses the Strategy…. (cue maniacal laughter). If the players receive the Strategy Assassinate, then the target of the Strategy should be noted VERY CLEARLY on the Match Slip. If you are trying to assassinate a “Unique” model, then writing down the name of the unique model is an acceptable description of the target. If you are targeting a non unique model (ex. Punk Zombie and there are 3 on the board) you are to be very descriptive to avoid any confusion over which model is the actual target.

6. Players will then choose their 1 Scheme and write it down on the Match Slip. You may announce it BEFORE the encounter begins for the extra VP. If you choose not to announce it before the encounter begins, then you are playing for only 1 additional VP. Any Scheme that has you designating a model or piece of Terrain as a target of the Scheme, then that target should be VERY CLEARLY noted (as above) on your match slip. This applies to Bodyguard, Kidnap, Sabotage or Stake a Claim.

7. The event will have players using the same Crew for each round so as to encourage building a tactically flexible force and not min/maxing their options each round.

8. Encounter Features. Players may flip for High Card to decide who will flip to determine the Encounter feature or they may simply agree for one of them to do it.

9. Special Events will be determined as normal. Any Special terrain such as the 5”x5”area for Claim Jump or any Encounter Features will be provided by the store as a properly cut piece of paper.

Edited by DasWeave

Chickenshack Mike?

Now that is a name of an opponent you want to play.

"How was the tournament?"

-"Well, Chickenshack Mike slapped my Rezzers around then he was properly beaten by a swarm of Spiders. Yeah, that Chickenshack was a real hoot."

That's just what the kids are calling it these days.

"Honey, what are you doing in there?"

"Leave me alone, Mom! Slapping around my Rezzers with my Chickenshack Mike!"

"Honey, I've told you what will happen if your Rezzers are properly beaten by a swarm of spiders."

"Mommmm!"

I had an awesome day of gaming!

Sorry I had to bail early, but I had promised the wife I'd be home to help with the night rituals with the six year old and the clock worked hard against me. Don't sweat it, DasWeave - you did a fine job running that thing. Quite a monster with 26 players! Awesome turn out.

My Lilith ran well through the day, taking my first two games but my third against Paradox was a comedy of errors and mistakes on my part as I had the table with the huge 1.5' by 1.5' opening in the middle and Lilith is just too used to having terrain. It threw me off too much and I couldn't make up my mind how to play it, once charging up and handing over half my army, then pulling back, then trying to get a tiny 3" illusionary forest to do all the work, then Earthquaking my own models into me (that'll teach me to never play with Earthquakes or her totem until the day of and have to learn everything the hard way). Whatever. 'Dox shot me up and sliced me down and there wasn't much I could do about it. Respect for 'Dox, Lady Justice, and the value of 8 Effing stones. Jeesh.

My list:

Lilith

Primordial Magic

Mature Neph

Mature Neph

Terror Tot

Terror Tot

Fun to run, but it's a shrapnel grenade. Strategy? If it isn't Slaughter, I don't know what to do. :)

Jason and Josh, you guys were awesome, laid back opponents. I couldn't have asked for better! Thanks for the games.

Edited by nerdelemental

We always knew you were rather 1 dimensional Nerd. All that LCD was just to make it so you had a chance to win at this game wasn't it?

Too bad there are those of us who LIKE strategy. :P

Really wish I could have made this! 26!!! Awesome. We only had 6 at our but the imp of the perverse was against us and many would be attendees did not make it. (Dr. Mercury...)

Uh, don't be too sour there Nerd, 'Dox cut me up good with that list too.

I don't think he really needed those 3 Death Marshals. Justice, Judge and the Executioner were all he needed to cut through my whole crew. It wasn't even funny, but 'Dox has some decent ideas for what we could do for Malifaux events that could be pretty damn stellar.

I had to leave right after round 4, but I'm betting Dox walked out of there with the tourney win at 22 VPs.

but 'Dox has some decent ideas for what we could do for Malifaux events that could be pretty damn stellar.

I'm anxious to find out if he did!

Dox does have some really good ideas about how we can proceed on a really interesting path for the tournament scene and I encouraged him to share some ideas openly here. Hopefully we'll hear.

he's been around forever and is no doubt experienced, but not a dim bulb, either.

EDIT: beat me to it! Congrats to both of you!

Side note: really great to see the game played with that volume of palyers and represented masters. No one can really point at any one of our masters and say that one's broken or one's too weak to me. I saw a Justice go to top two and a Justice lose her first game. Lilith did well, but obviously didn't dominate the day. No Perdita in the top spots? One guy learned to play last night and ran Gremlins in his second game ever as his first game of the day - phenomenal - nearly beating 'Dox who went to the top two!

One thing - did we see Zoraida or her saggies? Tons of Marcus. Several Ramos. A field full of Guild as our area loves them. Any other masters out that we didn't see? No Leveticus? Any McMourning?

Edited by nerdelemental