1st Demo Sonnia v Zoraida

pomes70

Learning game today with another newbie. I played Sonnia (one crew I'm thinking of purchasing). I like her combination of range, melee, and magic. Allows for a pretty flexible character.

Early on Zoraida's Silurids got in close by leaping and one of my witchling was controlled (obey) by Zoraida through the voodoo doll totem to charge Sonnia. Sonnia got pretty beat up and burned through soulstones and the control hand to keep her alive in the next turn. All ranged attacks went after the Silurids and I was able to take all of them out with Samael's rapid fire and flaming bullets, the witchlings ranged attacks and Sonnia's Flame Burst.

Juju came lumbering in and attacked Samael, knocking him down a few, then with witchlings and Samael surrounding him used his landslide to hurt them more, I think at that point killing Samael. Sonnia was going to get into the fray, but our playtime ran out. Where we left it was Juju getting initiative, so he was essentially going to take out some more of Sonnia's crew and probably her.

All in all, I think we both came away finding a really fun, interesting game. I really liked the ability to use resources to save characters in duels when it really mattered. It didn't just leave the game up to a bad hand. There was plenty of resource management to think about, and this kinda kept the ability to "win" within each of our reach.

I'm definately hooked and can't wait to play another game.

Sorry for the very general battle report. Until I get all of the terminology and not having to concentrate so hard in games, it was hard to rememebr the exact sequence of events.

good to hear about your game, even brief summaries are quite good to read every once in a while. Doubly good that you were interested in Sonia, i find that most people tend to go for Lady Justice or Perdita first when they think of guild. BUT there is something about a Fiery Witchhunter that just screams awesome!

did you get most of the rules on the first go? how long did the game take? what did your opponent think of Malifaux?

We both had agrand time. Yes, smething about flame burst really scream witch hunter! And she was awesome with it. The rapid fire and flaming bullets from Sam helped out, as well as the Witchling Stalkers and their rang and melee. I unfortunately always chose poor hands and card flips, but having the soulstones helped immensely.