What makes Teeth competitive?

dboeren

I'm finding myself interesting in running a pig-pack as a secondary army, but I'm having trouble seeing what Teeth really brings to the table. He has a VERY limited selection of models he can field. Any other Outcast Master still has access to the Gremlin and Pig models as well as their normal selection of models.

So what does Teeth have that makes him worth fielding when I could just put the Viktorias (for instance) in charge of the pig-pack instead? I feel that he should be getting significant compensation for not having access to a normal amount of models but I don't see it.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the outcast masters have unusual crew selection, and in fact neither Leveticus or Viktoria can take pigs/gremlins due to their rules (Leveticus can only take undead, soulless or constructs, and Viktoria can only take Mercenaries). You are right though, right now Mr. Teeth does have limited selections, but pretty much only him or Zoraida can take those models (and for Zoraida they all cost +1SS). So if you want to run a pig/gremlin pack, you pretty much got to use him.

He brings pure inbred gremlin awesomesauze.

With better than expected results I've focused on the abilities to summon models. Either gremlins, who promptly die to either watch this or to being beaten. Either way I'm ok with it as I'm just drawing card to use more watch this shots later in the turn, or maybe pumping a warpig into things. It works ok with the warpig being able to use the corpse's the gremlins so aptly make to heal from his ass poking.

It's not pretty, sometimes it fails horribly (ok it fails a lot), but it's very enjoyable to play and can have surprising results. Also Gremlin's luck is really powerful IMO on as an early activation with take a swig to mitigate it a bit.

Edited by WombatCowboy

All the outcast masters have unusual crew selection, and in fact neither Leveticus or Viktoria can take pigs/gremlins due to their rules (Leveticus can only take undead, soulless or constructs, and Viktoria can only take Mercenaries).

OK, I knew that Leveticus had restrictions (although fairly minor ones), I didn't notice that Viktoria did as well. And it also turns out that pigs aren't Beasts so Marcus can't take them either. That still puts Viktoria at 9, Teeth at 4, and Leveticus way up there and likely to grow quickly.

Anyway, I'm still planning what to get with my initial order. I'll probably pick up Teeth anyway just because he looks like fun but I won't necessarily expect him to perform that well. Maybe after there are a wider variety of Gremlin and Pig models out there (and Mosquitoes....)

I should be playing my second game with Gremlins this Friday and hope to put some of my observations to practice. I think my goal is going to be to cycle through my minis by using their ability to turn Gremlins into Piglets and Piglets into Gremlins to my advantage to do what I can to keep a healthy swarm on the board as long as possible. Also, I think Gremlins will change for the good once skeeters are released and you have a swarm of them out there farting all over the place.

Sure, the pigs are able to kick some serious ass when it comes to damage, but think about what it's like when you've got 12 Gremlins running around on the table. Sure, they can all get damaged pretty easily, but they're going to take someone out with them. And if you've got a strategy that involves having more models somewhere than your opponent, this is one of the prime swarms, especially since you can summon more. Only the Mindless Zombie technique can rival this one.

Besides, why does a model have to be absolutely brutal in a tournament setting for people to want to play with it? Teeth is fun, 'nuff said. The gremlins were just too awesome to leave as minions for Zoraida, so they got their own sub-faction. They play exactly like you'd expect models to play that are back woods pig farmers who make their own hooch.

Flying pigs and some mosquitoes just make the list even funnier, and give it some oomph. I've resisted the urge to complete my Gremlin crew so far, but I don't think I'll be able to hold out when more Gremlins come along.

Teeth is one of those masters I really want to play. I got the box and everything. Need to get the pig whisperer looks like he is a must if you want some truely fun stuff to happen. As for competative who cares I am having too much fun with casual games and if this keeps up these guys will make it to the table soon enough

I'm not looking for Teeth to be a grand champion tournament winner, I'm just curious whether he holds his own or if he's going to lose most of the time. All I really want is for him to be fun to play and give me a fair shot.

Anyway, I'll probably try him out soon in a proxy game and see how things go.

He's decent. The warpig is a pretty good bargain for what you get, and you can get some amazing results with stampede. They are pretty darn tricky to play well, though. What you really get from Teeth is the ability to heal and summon as much as you please, and don't underestimate "pull my finger", either. The damage isn't optional. It can also be devastating with a load of mosquitoes.

I like two kinds of lists: Warpig/Whisperer stampede lists and Gremlin/Mosquito recursion lists.

Besides, why does a model have to be absolutely brutal in a tournament setting for people to want to play with it? Teeth is fun, 'nuff said. The gremlins were just too awesome to leave as minions for Zoraida, so they got their own sub-faction. They play exactly like you'd expect models to play that are back woods pig farmers who make their own hooch.

quote]

I didn't even make it through this whole thread before I came across this. Angel, you have got it so right! My main playing partner/oponent is planning a gremlin army. Last night without enough built or on hand we were pretty much just sitting around looking at the different things you can do with a sommer army. We both agreed that a gremlin/pig army was going to be pretty unpredictable. Some days you get the bear and some days the bear gets you. I was getting pretty jealous of the fun playing a gremlin army is going to be. Certainly wouldn't bring it to a tournement I wanted to win but for fun I cannot think of a better choice.

There is so much weird stuff in that crew that while defete may be painful and common, wins will be the stuff of epic stories. And I suspect wins will be as common and losses. "remember the game when this guy called in his brother and got eaten, restored the pig back to full health and he wiped out half your crew..."

The best game of Malifaux I have played so far was against Gremlins(see WEiRD sKeTCHs awesome write up about it in the battle report thread). Teeths ability to heal without stones makes him very survivalable. And the unpredictableness of his army can foul up your oppenets plans just as easily as your own. I can see why he might not be the first choice for hard core competive tourney play but I can still see less serious players bringing and having fun with him in tourneys.

Thanks guys, that's more of the sort of information I was looking for. Healing is definitely a bonus (especially since he doesn't get a cache of soulstones). I'm more interested in the Warpig/Whisperer lists but I could throw some Mosquitos in there. I'm less interested in Gremlin swarms but we'll see when more Gremlins come out and you can always use a couple of them even if you don't take that many.

isn't the point of having gremlins in a pig force the "Big Mac" option? You don't need many if your not swarming. They multiply... Even if they can't count...

Field one, and have him call in another, there is no rule about how many points they have to have to heal. They only come for lunch anyway! Pay the 3 points and have a dozen of them by the time your done.

I dunno, it just seems the nominal cost is too high. You now get 2 gremlins for the cost of 3. Paying 1 extra SS for a pig or even a hog whisperer makes sense. But for a regular gremlin, I don't think so.

I tend to agree, it's a fixed cost and not a percentage. +1 point on an 8-9 point model is a fairly negligible "faction tax". +1 point on a 2 point model (especially one you might want to field multiples of) is a pretty big premium that you're paying. If my Zoraida wanted to run a Gremlin force I'd stick to Warpigs and maybe one Whisperer, or else play a 2-Master Brawl with Teeth.

Here's what you need Dboeren. Three hog whisperers and a gremlin.

1. Teeth uses get yer bro to make two gremlins

2. Teeth uses two AP to kill those two gremlins. Cheat fate if you must to summon piglets and of course discard the bad cards in your control hand.

3. Whisperers in range will let you draw 2 cards each. 2 dead gremlins means they each draw 4 cards.

You just drew 1/4 of your deck meaning you probably have more high value cards than your opponent so you are likely to win nearly every duel you play.

Combine this with spells like "flip for it" to increase your chances of winning.

Throw in some mozzies to use Teeths spells to make more gremlins or make your opponent discard control cards. You just suck the blood from new born piglets and then cast gremlins luck.

That's what he brings to the table. Victory

Edited by sprue

This is a random side note, but I can't help but laugh every time I read "Stick 'em Tha Ass". I adopt a redneck, hillbillie inflection every time i say it.

If i ever do gremlins, i'm mod'ing them all to have wheat stalks sticking out of their mouthes, and labeling each base with names like "Skeeter" and "Cletus". :D

3. Whisperers in range will let you draw 2 cards each. 2 dead gremlins means they each draw 4 cards.

Wait... You Draw two cards for every model you have with that ability? I was only drawing two period, regardless of how many with the ability (Som'er Teeth and/or Whisperers) I had in range. So I've been shortchanging myself cards?