Nicodem vs McM: Which master?

Chase

So, I'm looking for advice on what master. I haven't played any games yet and will probably get a few test games in this weekend. I'm torn between McM with dog's, Chihuahua, Sebastian, and some Necropunks. Or, Nicodem, and I'm not sure what else.

I really like the idea of zombies over flesh constructs (always liked Night of the living dead more than Frankenstein). However, game play wise I think I'll be more attracted to the combo's and combat McM provides (I'm too competitive).

I just don't see the power Nicodem has over McM. In combat McM seems faster and more damaging. And in summoning McM can take dogs, sebatain, and a totem to grab and give him conters to summon. Nicodem can only wait for stuff to die or have Mort dig him up 2 counters a turn (at best). Is there something I'm missing?

Fog is GREAT for a melee army, Rigor Mortis is relatively devastating to lock down the enemies most dangerous models, and the ability to rather easily summon any undead (not having to deal with body parts, etc...), is exceptional. On top of that the mindless zombies are sort of icing :)

I still like the McMourning, and think his style is a ton of fun to play too

McMourning is probably more powerful than Nico when viewed individually, but Nico really shines when there's numerous undead kicking about. His Bolster Undead action is amazing, and makes flesh constructs and punk zombies brutal *and* he can give them soft cover to make them even more resilient. With these two effects up, he makes all punk zombies within 6" have cb9, so even the more agile masters will have to burn soulstones to avoid a hit, def7 which is awsome, soft cover and they've already got hard to wound1. Absolutely mental!

In fact, there doesn't seem to be a single undead model that doesn't benefit greatly from having Big Nic around. Just think about all the jugular slashing Bete Noir could accomplish, ooohhh it gives me shivers! Mindless Zombies are rubbish, but they are the epitomy of fodder. Plus they keep Nic alive, which is always handy. Plus where McMourning can only summon flesh constructs and doggies, Nic can summon ANY undead model (as long as it's not a spirit or unique) which gives him a certain "swiss army knife" appeal.

If I'm right, then any graverobber/scavenger can spend all their actions to "search" and gain one corpse/scrap token (pg 45 under "general actions") so take a few canine remains to dig up bodies early, before you start making them the old fashioned way.

I'll just point out that I don't actually have Nic, although I think I've just convinced myself to get him!

So, I'm looking for advice on what master. I haven't played any games yet and will probably get a few test games in this weekend. I'm torn between McM with dog's, Chihuahua, Sebastian, and some Necropunks. Or, Nicodem, and I'm not sure what else.

I really like the idea of zombies over flesh constructs (always liked Night of the living dead more than Frankenstein). However, game play wise I think I'll be more attracted to the combo's and combat McM provides (I'm too competitive).

I just don't see the power Nicodem has over McM. In combat McM seems faster and more damaging. And in summoning McM can take dogs, sebatain, and a totem to grab and give him conters to summon. Nicodem can only wait for stuff to die or have Mort dig him up 2 counters a turn (at best). Is there something I'm missing?

Personally I'm a big fan of McM, he's one of my favorite masters. Lots of offense, lots of damage, cool abilities. Good stuff all around.

Nicodem is not to be underestimated however. Bolster undead is amazing especially with punk zombies/crooked men (cb 9 paired melee units? How about def 8 units v ranged attacks?). Nicodem also has a lot of card draw which is amazing in this game. And lastly the unit spamming is astonishing with Nicodem. Your enemy kills your army but every turn 1-3 models of it return and overwhelm your enemy. It's pure, cold attrition. Just give him a shot and you'll see how nasty can he be....

So with Nicodem and his Reanimator spell does it count any corpse counters he is carrying? Because it is not a pulse and as far as I understood counters are physically placed with the model carrying them or dropped somewhere on the table.

And with reanimator can I summon punk zombies?

So with Nicodem and his Reanimator spell does it count any corpse counters he is carrying? Because it is not a pulse and as far as I understood counters are physically placed with the model carrying them or dropped somewhere on the table.

And with reanimator can I summon punk zombies?

Yes, It counts corpse tokens he is carrying. The better question since it says any within 6" is can you use it on corpse tokens held by your allys, and/or your enemy. I have a feeling no but it would be good to clear that up

Yep, any non-unique, non-spirit undead. So

Punk Zombies

Rotten Belles

Canine Remains

Crooked Men

Mindless Zombie(although I don't know why you would)

Flesh Construct

Necropunks

Steampunk Abominations

Yes, It counts corpse tokens he is carrying. The better question since it says any within 6" is can you use it on corpse tokens held by your allys, and/or your enemy. I have a feeling no but it would be good to clear that up

If it can rez another peoples counters in 6" I'm thinking have some dog's do an (all) and search for tokens and then create some zombies when it's Nicodem's action phase, to be used as fotter. Mean time have the grave digger (idk his name) dig something for Nicodem to create a Zombie Punk out of.

I think with a few nurses this is sounding really really solid. Plus who doesn't love mindless zombies.

Edited by Chase

Nevermind on p24 it says "models may only use and discard counters that they carry or are on the table never counters carried by another model."

So it seems Nicodem can use his carried counters w/ Reanimator. But not ones anyone is holding. So the way to get zombies or Punks zombie's in is 'search' with Nicodem, Exhume with Mortimer, or kill stuff. :)

I had this wonderfull idea of 15 dogs 'searching' one turn and the next turn Nicodem summons a horde of mindless zombies.

Still a great char and I'm probably going with him over MCM.

We do but we shouldn't, because t apparantly won't end well for us.........

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?Will_zombies_take_over_planet?&in_article_id=722470&in_page_id=34

Yeah but that's assuming you would want to live through or deal with that. When the bombs start dropping and the plague starts spreading I'm sitting in the middle of down town Seattle with some head phones and this book.

Edited by Chase