Tactica: Rasputina

knightdrake

if you cast decembers curse on the acolytes then they do take the direct damage. Bearskin only protects them from any damage from a blast marker. Its been covered over on hte rules section recently.

Which is really too bad. Bearskin armor preventing direct damage from blasts, pulses, and auras would make Rasputina much more survivable. However, it would make the above broken.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I have recently taken a likeing to Tina but after reading around the site I'm not so sure she is all she's cracked up to be? I'm quite the competitive person but I'm also looking for some varience in games. From the people who have been testing her a lot what is your final verdict? Does she make the cut to the competitive side or is she still going to be playtest group material until more models hit the scene?

So I have recently taken a likeing to Tina but after reading around the site I'm not so sure she is all she's cracked up to be? I'm quite the competitive person but I'm also looking for some varience in games. From the people who have been testing her a lot what is your final verdict? Does she make the cut to the competitive side or is she still going to be playtest group material until more models hit the scene?

In all honesty, there isn't really any master that "isn't competitive"... An individual person may have trouble playing a particular master competitively, but none are inherently bad.

Rasputina has a certain finesse to her playstyle... I personally love the way she plays, although I'm sure there are those that would disagree. (One of the guys I play with can't get her to work to save his life... :D ) My suggestion would be to proxy some games with her and see if you like how she plays. If you don't, then pick another master which you think you can play well.

Is it possible to proxy if you dont have the base to proxy for? My friend just got rid of 4,500 dollars worth of WM and Hordes so we have no bases to use as proxys so is there another way? If there is that would make my choosing a Master MUCH MUCH easier.

Any base/mini can work for a short proxy game, but Wyrd also sells packs of bases which you could use. Just put some sort of marker on each one to denote what it is.

You can check them out HERE

Is it possible to proxy if you dont have the base to proxy for? My friend just got rid of 4,500 dollars worth of WM and Hordes so we have no bases to use as proxys so is there another way? If there is that would make my choosing a Master MUCH MUCH easier.

Also you can use paper cutouts. Me and my friends did it for BFG years ago....

As for army competitiveness I'd like to think every master is competitive, though frankly probably not 100% even in their competitiveness (Pure balance I think is close to impossible with flexible model games). I definitely think Rasputina has what it takes, high damage output and an armor 2 giving spell is fantastic. Though the more I look at her the more I think she should steal an outcast totem in order to gain fast.

Like others have mentioned, Tina is competitive, but expect to have a tough time in the early going with her. You definitely have to learn to use ALL of her abilities and know when to use them in order to reach her maximum potential. In addition, her low defense and low movement require that you be aware of any threats to her at all times.

That being said, Tina can lay out the long range hurt, especially when your opponent keeps his models in any kind of group. A pair of moderate or severe December's Curse will turn most models into paste, and the blast damage will ensure that any of the target's buddies in the vicinity are in bad shape afterward as well. With the overpower trigger thrown in, Tina can potentially cast December's Curse far in excess of 3 times that she would normally be able to cast it, further flattening any opponents. Overpower also has the benefit of saving valuable action points for other actions if you are able to eliminate your target with a single December's Curse/Overpower combo hit.

Just remember, you will very likely get frustrated early on with Tina, especially if your opponent is clobbering you with a point and shoot master, like Perdita. Just take those drubbings on the chin and once you slaughter your opponent with Tina, you will feel much more satisfied with your victory than your opponent ever felt with any of their victories.

I was using the nurses to armor up my forces, but even if I had punk zombies instead of those Nurses, the situation would have been similar. He hugged terrain and nuked me from afar, and Overpower allowed his spells to wreak havoc on my army. Hard To Wound doesn't matter when you take 2 wounds automagically ;)

First game was Rasputina Battle Box VS McMourning Battle Box. We both played assasinate

I was slinging spells through my Gamin and keeping distance and triggering overpower with the December blast spell and killed Sabastian turn two and damaed a nurse that turn as well.

My Gamin couldn't get the drop on anyone so I used their statue ability and kept them advancing to sling spells.

Used Ice Pillars to separate the enemy models one another to continue to weaken them and not allow them to co-ordinate an attack on me.

Flesh Golem had one speed burst turn and was fast to reach me and kill two Gamin but took some damage along the way.

McMourning approached slowly but loaded up on body counters.

Rasputina, Ice Construct, and one Gamin left

McMourning, Flesh Golem, and one nurse left

Gamin killed by Mcmourning after moving around ice pillars.

Flesh Contruct (in Raspy's grill) was leveled down 2 damage per with her spell and then Raspy finished him off with a melee strike.

I stupidly tried to pull off something and and play the black joker to gain two cards (two low cards) and then lost Raspy.

Ice Construct VS McMourning and Nurse

McMourning did not boost his nasty assasin boost flip ability because he thought he could drop the Ice Con easy in Statue form, wrong. Ice Golem with bite o winter killed Mcmourning then smacked Nurse down to 1 wound. Turn 6, nurse swung back and killed the Ice Con and he shattered killing her and leaving 0 models on the table

DRAW

Sorry it took so long to post and only one battle but I just had a new baby boy Sept 20 and that is my time lately. Also, my WED hobby group plays lots O games so we rotate. I am eager to play more games.

After my newest order I will have to try out:

Raspy

3 Ice Gamin

1 Ice Construct

3 Hoarcats

1 Cerebus

1 December Acolyte

1 Essence of Power Totem

1 Wendigo Totem

Lots of nastiness still to try

Lots of thi

• 5 months later...

Oops I thought this was a living document. I was hoping raspy's tactics weren't complete, lol.

I had a feeling that 8ss was optimal to spam December's curse. Do you find yourself casting december's touch almost ever turn? I would imagine myself casting DT on my golem to keep up my linebacker/mirror healthy for the majority of a game.

I usually run 7-8 with Rasputina, preferably 8. My totem usually casts December's Touch, but on Tina instead of the golem. Against Guild models with ranged Critical Strikes, having armor 4 on the Golem is relevant, but usually he's fine with armor 2.

As far as using the stones, I burn through them for December's Curse through Icy Mirror, especially if I have a Mask in play. Usually by the halfway point, where the enemy is close enough to make Icy Mirror less relevant, I sit on them in case somebody gets through the 3 December's Curses she throws down at that range.

Oops I thought this was a living document. I was hoping raspy's tactics weren't complete, lol.

No worries... It happens. ;)

I had a feeling that 8ss was optimal to spam December's curse. Do you find yourself casting december's touch almost ever turn? I would imagine myself casting DT on my golem to keep up my linebacker/mirror healthy for the majority of a game.

I use December's touch either on the Golem or Tina herself, almost every turn. (Except when I'm spamming December's Curse 3+ times a turn... :D )

I find that 40ss are my favorite size games these days. I have played over 30 games now and most with Rasputina. I have played against all factions and faired well, I played Marcus too, and played two master games as well.

I like Rasputina with 6-8 SS cache which is usually 7ss. Go to models that always work seem to be any of the following, 2-3 Gamin, 1 Ronin, 1 cerebus, Golem, Steamborg, Joss, 1-2 molemen, 2-3 Hoarcats, and Wendigo/Essence.

I really like a large number of models to over activate the opponnt which allows you to suck them dry of cards them slam them with barely cast Dec. Curse and Overpowered or Bite Chill repeatedly. That in mind I Like 3 Hoarcats 2 Gamin, 2 molemen, Wendigo, and 1 cerebus. Cerebus can get objectives or get to dep annoying models, molemen can live for objectives or overactivate enemy, Gamin for range and Bite O Winter and Ice Mirror, Hoarcats for nasty damage the enmy fears and the occasional GULP, and finally (GASP!) the Wendigo over the Essence as the Wedigo can also deal decent damage (Bite-O-Wint too) and help to overactivate the enemy and it can throw up Ice Pillers or gobble up those pesky bodies from the Resurrectionists. You will notice that when slamming down Dec. Curse and pulling off Overpower you really don't need the + the Essence gives you as you FLIP/Cheat and SS for a 21-34 Casting Value and lay out two templates of OUCH.

I also like a slower plodding melee heavy list like Joss and Johan with Gamin or Moles and keeping up White Out for protection Watch out for OBEY when keeping models close to Raspy though especially pig headed (low WP) melee beasts.

When it comes down to it Raspy is a mean Spell slinger and you should do it early and often to sap the enemy of their good cards or to get the blood flowing. Even if you start Ice Mirroring you can SS+ Cheat to not have it matter. Always try to get her in range though and protect her with bodies and cover.

PS- I used to have TONS of trouble with her in scenarios and not anymore once I realized what she was and who needed to go/do what in her list.

So, do we have any idea how to deal with Sonia reliably? She completely nullifies Raspy's offensive potential, and if she keeps her best models near her they're also immune, so Raspy's either limited to blasting poor little witchlings, or casting touch on allied models. At the same time, Sonia's decent in CC enough to deal with single opponents. I just don't know what to do agains Sonia with Raspy (Other enemies aren't so much a problem, but Sonia just completely turns Raspy's best skills off)

Yes, Sonnia is very likely the toughest match up for Raspy due to Magic Resistance and Advanced Counterspell almost totally shutting down Raspy's best spells. Also, Magic Seeker hurts a lot as Raspy can't take many hits.

Luckily, Raspy can do the same for Sonnia's Fire Burst with December's Touch (Armor is better than Magic Resistance) and White Out (her use of the spell will suffer if she has to fire into cover). After that the only thing to worry about is her Violation of Magic and melee skills. Against Sonnia you have to rely on your Crew to fight and Raspy will be mostly tossing around support spells.

Sonnia has a Trigger to instakill Constructs so I would maybe try using Hoarcats against her: They're a bit more speedy and hard hitting than her Constructs which helps to catch the Guild crew and their leader. Most Guild models don't have a great Df score (mostly 4-5) so Devour will be a great asset against them. Sonnia is not THAT tough in melee either. She relies on getting hits with her Cb 5 sword to stay alive with the low Df and 10 Wounds. If you can get multiple Hoarcat Prides next to Sonnia she will go down with her Df 4. Either though Melee expert strikers or Devour: even with Advanced Counterspell she will get drained of her Control Cards if she tries to stop all of them and then she is done for.

However, that is easier said than done. Best idea is likely be to pick Schemes that do not require you to confront her directly.

-Ropetus

So, do we have any idea how to deal with Sonia reliably? off)

Target other models with Dec Curse and send the templates her way. Eat throught the enemies SS and whittle away with damage will still kill Sonnia. Using models that close the gap are great versu her, cerberus, snake, and joss (marcus too of course).

Dec Curse can always reach full potential with high cards, ss, and maybe even bite chill thrown in.