After a couple of games with Perdita and crew...

Wulfen

They seem to be a very strong crew, but is their lack of soulstones a real disadvantage? I've lost both games I've played with them; I know part of that is my being new to the game, but it seems that the other side always has a significant advantage in soulstones, and that can wreck a crew pretty quickly, even one as strong as Perdita.

Any suggestions? I've been using Companion as much as I can when it seems appropriate, as well as trying to use some card control, but that only goes so far, especially when some factions/crews can have the full eight stones in a scrap, compared to Perdita's two.

I'm sure there are ways around that, as well-balanced as this game is, so I wanted to get some thoughts on how best to use the Ortega crew.

The Perdita crew is indeed very powerful but it is also really fragile.

Beowulf has the right of it. Perdita and the Ortegas are really unforgiving of mistakes. They are in the mid to hard scale of crews to play as you really do need to make them work together as well know what ever member of the crew does really well.

If anything, they were one of the major powerhouses during playtesting. There are quite a few folks that have some great strategies with them. Don't give up. The learning curve is worth it.

They seem to be a very strong crew, but is their lack of soulstones a real disadvantage? I've lost both games I've played with them; I know part of that is my being new to the game, but it seems that the other side always has a significant advantage in soulstones, and that can wreck a crew pretty quickly, even one as strong as Perdita.

Any suggestions? I've been using Companion as much as I can when it seems appropriate, as well as trying to use some card control, but that only goes so far, especially when some factions/crews can have the full eight stones in a scrap, compared to Perdita's two.

I'm sure there are ways around that, as well-balanced as this game is, so I wanted to get some thoughts on how best to use the Ortega crew.

Wednesday you will get to fight some McM so maybe it will turn for you :)

I dont know that any of us have really figured it out yet.

Just have to up the soulstone count up to 30-35. That being a double-edged sword, with you getting more soulstones, but your opponent staying at his/her starting soulstones, and getting another model added to their crew. Of course, the added soulstones you have, makes your already potent crew more devastating.

At 25 points for Perdita you are usually better off dropping someone and getting the stones. Papa Loco or Francisco are good choices to get the axe. You'll have trouble with some strategies with only running 4 guys but the soul stones make Perdita a lot more effective.

In a 30 point game I would only add the totem to the gang and run them like that.

They are a really effective crew but like others have said, they can fall apart quick if you make some bad moves.

30 Stones is where that box shines. Like Nilus said, throw in a totem if you want, but not necessary. Perdita with a deep pool of stones is just ridiculous. And you don't even want to see Nino or Santiago with a way to access stones. ;)

I've been rocking Perdita since first part of the beta playtesting. TBK is right. The Ortegas went from overpowered and tubrocharged to toothless and weak for some of the models, and then back to overpowered. I think we've ended up with a really nice balance. The can be brutally efficient, but you've got to play them properly. You've also got to keep your strategy and your scheme in mind when you're playing with them.

Keep playing with them. You'll seetle into the groove. 30 Stones feels really nice for games, especially if you want to go a tiny bit outside of the starters for other factions.

I find the Ortega box does really well once you toss in a melee model. The army list really needs that good melee model to backup its shooting. And while Perdita is pretty good at that, she's rather fragile. I find tossing in an Executioner or a Judge rounds out the list rather nicely. Prevents speed armies like Liliths from just engaging huge chunks of your army quickly before you get a chance to shoot.

I've played a few games now with Perdita at 25SS... and it finally came together last night.

The biggest threat for me so far has been using Papa Loco as a self destructive land mine. I have been running him up a flank, and once the battle gets hot a heavy somewhere, take him and chuck TNT for a turn before his next activation where he goes kamikaze. The key is to make sure you have a 12-13 in your hand to cheat fate on his CA flip so you get a better shot at taking out models in that 6" Pulse explosion!

The biggest threat for me so far has been using Papa Loco as a self destructive land mine.!

He is fun. Personally I am really liking Nino. Hes got great range, a CB of 9 with a spell and deals good damage(and can hit a lot with his triggers).

I also find Santiago fun because people that know about him tend to avoid doing damage to him, so he sometimes walks around the board with little interference.

My game last night with Perdita and crew went a lot better than previously, although I did replace Papa with the Convict Gunslinger and added the Executioner for some muscle in a 35 SS game. My plan was to use the Executioner to soak up damage, as well as body parts, from Doc McMourning and his undead legion, while using the Convict and Perdita for card control, allowing for the cool Headshot and Decapitate triggers to be put to better use.

Of course it didn't go that way, I was pretty stupid with the Executioner and he died quickly to a Flesh Construct, doing no damage in return. And the poor Convict got sucked into hand-to-hand combat, voiding his cool Suppression Fire. I did manage to win the day with some really good shooting, timely card flips and lots of corpse counters that luckily were on the other side of the field.

I really like Papa, but for me, he really has to be set aside from the other family so he can do his own crazy thing. His suicide run will really only go so far, so I'll have to look at ways I can get him in and use him effectively.