Tactica: Pandora

Kealios

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played a game the other night with Pandy and did pretty well. Hamelin definitely got the MVP award after Pandora made the Stemborg fail a terror check with her spell Trapped and then Hamelin walked him off the board...AND THEN I DREW 2 CARDS! Then Hamelin played with Ice Gamin the rest of the game. You have to use terrain very well, but I found myself double moving and then casting against non casters and taking them down a point or two via pacify/incite plus a spell, and then darting out of combat behind a house or forest. She can really stick it to an army with some of the swarm tactics. I also enjoyed the convict with forcing checks to paralyze/ditch 2 cards. Stupid control with very few models. Every time I play her I am convinced that sorrows are not needed. I like on maybe two, and bring something with a little more power and accuracy, as well as not dying in one shot almost every time. A guild player will trash all of your sorrows before they do anything.

I am really liking the prospect of the Mature neph with her, to cause some WP checks with his Rip In Half Trigger. You can seriously neuter an army with him and the convict just wrecking a group of grunts and then forcing them to either pitch the cards or not retaliate. It is good in the back end of the turn.

I had my first game using pandora the other day against ramos. At the end of the match I was quite happy with the way she played. @ 25ss I took Kade, Teddy and 3 Sorrows.

Keeping her within 12 and spell slinger galour was the name of the game for me. I found as soon as you landed a project emotions it would spell doom for whatever was affected. If the WP chipping didn't kill something I'd follow up with Teddy or Kade.

Some tactics:

Pacify/Incite - Use to manipulate activation order, pacify your focus target so that you ensure it's not going anywhere soon.

Project emotions - Pity! Open up with this then cause havock with WP duels. Landing this is where a lot of my resources normally went too.

Sorrows:

Link - great offensively and defensively.

Defensively, It gives your minions and master a hp sink for when harmless or wp duels aren't saving you. Can also use then as a screen.

Offensively (0) actions for pacify/incite or (all) action for more spells (hopefully against a -flip WP duel target).

Yoyo - As this was the first time I tried this i'm not sure of the validity. When the enemy closed the distance I would move my sorrows forward to within 3 inches of the target (wk,wk). Next activation I would select the model they were linked too cast spells then wk to push the linked sorrow back into base to base.

Teddy + Kade:

Grant flanking options with a switch out thanks to "Where's Teddy?". Keep a Sorrow on Kade for the extra padding to deliver him and for when he loses harmless. Don't be afraid to send Teddy in he's a monster. If Teddy is getting hurt switch him out with Kade to let regen tick over.

• 1 month later...
What exactly are you doing with Incite/Pacify? This ability only means the effected model has to activate next or last. It doesn't allow you to dictate what they do in their activation.

Incite them or Pacify them, since it chains as long they are successful, every successful one means that Pandora can be pushed up to 4" and out of range and hopefully behind cover.

The goal is to use her fading memory ability to get completely outta the way.

Besides moving Pandora it is also very very useful for picking out targets you want to kill during the turn.

Examples:

Early in the turn you incite multiple enemy targets leaving the one you really need to kill alone. This gives you multiple activations to move in your forces and kill the non-incited model before it can act.

Or Mid to Early in the turn you Pacify one enemy who is a threat to some of your forces. You can then move out of harms way before it gets to act.

Pacify an enemy model that has just recieved Reactivation and your opponent is planning to do something tricky with. They still get reactivate but will be going last and giving you plenty of time to react.

Many crews use buffs from their Master to be more effective. Pacify the master very Early in the turn or if it is out of range Incite most of the opposing to screw up his/her timing.

Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if anyone had posted about this before but the Doppleganger is amazing with the Pandora crew. The Doppleganger can easily advance up the board with a multitude of abilities to copy from her. You can hit enemies for the box opens twice, take Teddies regen 2, or enemy abilities like hard to wound, or slow to die. Through some proxy games, the Doppleganger is the model her crew needs to even out the missing pieces currently in 40 point games.

So out of interest, has anyone tried playing Reconnoite with Pandora? I understand it can be a tough strategy for most crews but with sorrows being insignificant and her most synergistic minions being quite costly, Pandy seems to have it especially tough.

So has anyone developed a good approach to playing this strategy? Did you swap the sorrows for terror tots and play 'hide the babies', or did you find it better to keep the crew as-is and focus on disrupting your opponents strategy instead?

Alright, you guys wanna know the wonderful Pandora nuke I found today?

Recipe: The Pandora Trauma Centre

Ingredients:

1 x Pandora

1 x Doppleganger

1 x Baby Kade

1 x Candy

3 x Sorrows

Take 1 doppleganger. Shake vigorously at Pandora and steal Emotional Trauma (1wd to enemies who fair WP duels within 12") and Unhealthy relationship (Friendly woes in B2B with this mddle are able to use it's (0) cost abilities.) Then mix in all your woes, stiring well and making sure they all use their (0) action to use the Dopplegangers Mimic and copy Emotional Trauma (Can ya see what it is yet?) Finally shift Pandora up the field and proceed to incite/pacify/self-loathe everything in the surrounding area. The base damage of this is 7 from the models in increments of 1 meaning resistance of damage reducing effects do almost nothing. You don't need to soul link, or anything... It just takes some serious set up... a little annoying but when your opponent doesn't see it coming, it becomes devastating... For example today... My most feared enemy, Perdita ran headfirst to grab some treasure. Pandora ducked out, Incited for 5 damage (Only had a few models in range of the dopple at the time.) Expose Fears once more for another 5, which my opponent used a large number of soulstones on prevention flips (having had to do one for each single point to stop dying) and finally a project emotions for a finisher.... The bomb works... just aim it wisely

Godsdammit Craig you are so incredibly cheesy ^^

That said, the above statement will only work once. As it's very easy to see coming if you know whats going on, and the doppleganger becomes a horrendous bullet-magnet at that point. However - the potential for using unhealthy relationship to copy mimic onto things is ludicrous. Imagine Kade weilding Teddy's teeth instead of a knife? Not to mention what you can do with thieving other people's shit. The possibilitys are maddening. Almost tempted to pick her up myself :P

Not to mention, if your opponent has any area effect spells, a trick like that is doomed to fail. The moment those Woes start to pile up in order to all use Mimic, throwing an area effect spell their way will most likely toast almost all of them.

Nasty trick in theory but I don't think it will work in practice very well.

-Ropetus

Not to mention, if your opponent has any area effect spells, a trick like that is doomed to fail. The moment those Woes start to pile up in order to all use Mimic, throwing an area effect spell their way will most likely toast almost all of them.

Unless the Doppleganger and woes are out of sight. So long as they're within 12" of your target, the Emotional trauma will trigger. So you just need to move them up behind a building and use Pandora to suck up their wounds.

The obvious response to that is that your opponent will then try to keep his models outside 12", but then he's pretty much leaving you alone to fulfil whatever objective you have for the game. ;)

And hey, if it doesn't work, it's not as if you've left yourself with a crew that is only good at doing that one trick. The crew ShinNoKage put up is more than capable of winning games the 'normal' way.

Edited by Rathnard

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone, I just picked up the pandora box and I;m new to malifaux. How exactly do you use panda and crew? I'm under they impression she doesn't play anything like the other crews. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

This is my crew:

Pandora

Sorrow 3

Sorrow 3

Sorrow 3

Baby Kade 6

Candy 8

Convict Gunslinger 6

Crew Cost: 29/30

Soulstones: 6