Trying to decide

mbowsher76

I am leaning more and more towards the Guild as my faction of choice.

I really like the Death Marshalls, and the Witchhunters. I really like Predita (but not so much the models for the rest of the Ortegas).

Can someone tell me what Companion & Family rules mean? I am considering picking up the other two box sets and just the Perdita blister, unless I will miss out a major bonus that she would lose by not playing with the rest of the Ortegas.

Thanks in advance for any help.

The Companion rule allows two models to be activated in tandem. Usually during your turn, you can only activate one model before passing the turn back to your opponent.

Models with the Companion (Family) rule can choose to activate at the same time as a model with the corresponding characteristic. So Perdita and Papa Loco can both take a turn before passing the turn back to your opponent.

Family is just an identifying characteristic and marks the model as part of the Ortega clan. Other identifying characteristics in the game are "Gremlin," "Master," "Construct," and "Undead," and several others.

Edited by redstripe

What, did someone say they don't like Loco and Santiago? Really? You will be kicked out of the Guild for such heresy. Once you see Santiago's rules, you'll never doubt him again. He drinks his whiskey from a dirty glass, after all.

I've got the Witch Hunters (ended up getting each of the pieces at a different time over the last 2.5 years, oddly enough), a blister of Death marshals, and all of the Ortegas. Companion (Family) can be a lot of fun, especially if you decide to activate Perdita first and just daisy chain them all together. ;) Sonnia's crew can mix it up wherever you need them to. I'm not a huge fan of Lady J and the Judge, personally, but that's in comparisson to the other Guild choices and how they fit my playstyle. They're still awesome, just not a perfect fit for me personally.

Like St. Anger said, you can't go wrong picking them all up. If you're not going to get all of the Ortegas, pick up Santiago at least. You'll be glad you did.

Also, the Viktoria starter is another really useful box to get. There's nothing that you can't handle with that box added to your Guild collection. Especially when Taelor swings her hammer at Ramos' precious Steamborg.

Can somebody give some sneak preview on how the different crews play? Are they really rule-focused on their destinated type of foe, or is this only an add-on?

How is their playstyle different when compared to other factions? Do they rely on tricks, shooting, close combat, a healthy mix of the above?

Ortegas: very range oriented

Lady Justice: melee machine

Sonnia: good mix of the two, with magic on top of it

That's just a very basic summary. Each of the themed crews can do some of everything, just some are better than others. The Ortegas have some Wp bumps, so that helps against Neverborn. The Lady J crew has stuff to help prevent lots of counters for Res. Sonnia's crew has a bunch of anti-magic stuff, so they work nicely against Arcanists. None of them are particularly bad against any other factions, or against other Guild crews, though. I guess I'd say the "specialization" is closer to an add-on.

As for Guild as a whole faction, they're a very up front playstyle, both ranged and melee. The Rams suit is tied into physical damage. You may have noticed the Critical Strike trigger on a few of the cards. This trigger requires a Ram in the duel total, and it adds +1 damage for each Ram in the total. The Guild has a lot of flexibility in the playstyle, and you can find a combination that makes you happy.

Res is about toughness and survival, Neverborn will play the tricks, and the Arcanists are all about magical and creatures. Not that the other factions can be well rounded, they just don't show it on the surface quite as quickly.

My advice would be (and I know nothing of the rules aside from what's been previewed), get the Witch Hunters and Death Marshal crews. Once you've seen the rules and played a bit you'll know what Ortegas you want (but my money is on all of them!) They sound pretty bad-ass, although nothing Seamus can't handle :D

edit: rectifying my loose grasp of English.

Also, the Viktoria starter is another really useful box to get. There's nothing that you can't handle with that box added to your Guild collection. Especially when Taelor swings her hammer at Ramos' precious Steamborg.

I think a lot of people will find the Viktoria starter a good, quick add-on for your crews. I think all the models in that box have the "Mercenary" descriptor which allows them to be hired into any crew.

Can someone explain what Cache on the card means? And why do some say Cache and some say Cost?

Is Cache an amount of soul stones the model comes with/generates and cost is the amount of soul stones you spend to recruit the model?

Pretty much. You determine the size of the game, then Hire crews, and you'll get your soul stone pool after that.

Masters are free, so you've for 25 stones to spend on your crew. the Cost is how many stones you'll need to spend to hire that model (mercenaries cost +1 to hire them outside of Outcast crews). Once you're done, any unspent stones go towards your soul stone pool (Masters can use these during the game). You add your master's Cache to the left over soul stones in the pool, up to the maximum SS pool size for the appropriate game size - Scrap or Brawl.

For example:

The Gen Con tournament is a 25 SS Scrap. So, if the Lady Justice crew costs you 12 SS for the Death Marshals (4 SS x3), and 8 SS for the Judge, you'll have 5 stones left over for your pool. You then add Lady Justice's Cache to that, up to the maximum for a Scrap. You could also choose to buy another Death Marshal or Papa Loco to start with a smaller Soul Stone pool that's pretty much only Lady Justice's Cache.

Now that's something I didn't even consider, is terrain going to be more involved than your standard "I'm on a hill so I can see over things" or "I'm in a wood so you can't see me"?

I hope I don't give to much away talking about this but its one of my favorite aspects of the game. Each time you play a game you flip to see what encounter feature occurs in the match. This can be a special piece of terrain like the one mentioned above, a special event that happens randomly in the game or an effect that occurs on the entire board.

Its determined after crews are bought and strategies and schemes are determined so its a bit of a random FUBAR effect. It really helps to keep the game fresh and fun.

d'oh! that's what I get for being busy finishing up stuff for my Gen Con classes.

I will not drain souls. I will not drain souls. I will not drain souls. I will not drain souls. I will not drain souls. I will not drain souls. I will not drain souls. I will not dra...

Now that's something I didn't even consider, is terrain going to be more involved than your standard "I'm on a hill so I can see over things" or "I'm in a wood so you can't see me"?

That's one thing that we absolutely wanted to be different. I am sooo tired of games that treat terrain as "just the setting"

To that end, you can climb, interact, have terrain interact with you, get bonuses (Beyond cover and screening) and simply die from terrain.

In the base rules climbing and jumping are covered as is falling. (One of the fun tactics with some of the nastier CC models is to chuck someone over a ledge or into a pool of lava.) For once lava is NOT impassible terrain. It's very very bad for your health certainly but it's not impassible. AND you can jump over it!!! (Can you tell that was a pet peeve of mine?)

We also cover a few of the more hazardous terrain types (Besides Lava) and set the groundwork for you to come up with your own hazardous terrain as well.

Again, we were very sick of the terrain is just a place to play. It is another character in the game and it doesn't care if you think it's mean.

Don't forget harpooning them and dragging them through flames! :D (I am determined to do this, no matter how long it takes!)

I'm going to work with AoM to get those flames for him I think. I know I am bringing my casting stuff and some clear resin! (And maybe some LED's too. Why not go Ape $&!* Crazy right?)

I'm going to work with AoM to get those flames for him I think. I know I am bringing my casting stuff and some clear resin! (And maybe some LED's too. Why not go Ape $&!* Crazy right?)

Ooo! Sounds fun! Do you want to do some for me too? :D

I was going to sculpt my own, but if you'd be willing to sell me some...