Your Weird Name at Wyrd

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you detune a modern television, pull the plug out of your cable receiver or don't have an input connected to a screen or projector then the words "no signal" are usually what you'll see displayed. For me, it implies a disconnection from something... rather like the relationship between myself and society (I just "don't get" most people, and don't feel much connection with the majority of the people that I meet).

The zero in there rather than an 'O' usually ensures I can have it in most forums/message boards and you'll find me under this name on the Privateer Press boards, Infinity forum, Fantasy Flight, Spartan Games, etc. I'm everywhere. Like a disease. ;)

Me and my buds, when WoW was first released, I wanted to play and started a Tauron warrior. Well, about lvl 10 or so they quit Horde and all went to Alliance and wanted me to come. So, out of complete hatred I jumped Horde ship and joined Alliance. I thought to myseld, what do I hate the most out of everything. Elves...but I did have to look at this thing, Elves were out of the question. Then it hit me. Sturm. That whiney preachy prick from Dragonlance. So, I made a Paladin and named him Sturm. And for good hatred measure, a dwarf. Just to jab with inaccuracy at all those DL fan bois.

Well, 3 years later I was in love with my dwarf Paladin and I just kind of formed my "online" identity as Sturm88. Kind of like a reminder, just have fun or you'll get stuck with what you hate.

As for the 88, it looks like 4 little circles.

My other name I use in places, and really should, Mr Radar. Obviously stolen from Space Balls and my disgusting sniping during hours of SOCOM and Counterstrike.

My original name on painting forums was 'flynn', which was part of a name I made up for myself quite some time ago--Flynn McKerrow. Flynn was just a name I liked, and McKerrow was a small town in western Ontario that I saw on a map, and liked the sound of it. I'm still flynnmckerrow in a few different places (including ebay).

Last year I decided to drop the 'flynn' moniker, and just stick with my initials, since it's what I sign just about any correspondence with anyway. Amusingly, people seem to think my name is 'Pae', and wonder how to pronounce it. I should just tell them that "it sounds just like Philip".

Just to introduce myself... well, my handle comes from an old classic sci-fi novel I was very fond of. C J Cherryh's "Downbelow Station", if anyone's read it, and the starship captained by Signy Mallory - ECS-05 Norway - driven to turn renegade on both sides out of honor and duty.

People constantly see the name and assume I'm Scandinavian. I have to giggle at that - my family's actually Croatian in origin, although I'm third-generation American myself.

name and assume I'm Scandinavian. I have to giggle at that - my family's actually Croatian in origin, although I'm third-generation American myself.

I know the feeling. I'm an American, of Italian descent. People see my name and think I'm anything from Swedish (which is a fair assumption since Sven is a swedish name) to German.

Hey everyone, figured this was as good a place as any for my first post.

My name comes from combining lucidity with -cide. I had originally started using it years ago after watching Waking Life, a movie involving lucid dreaming. I had intended to convey a sense of destroying our preconceived notions and patterns of thought, eliminating our clarity and sanity. I believed quite strongly that in order to find happiness it is important a person self-defines, but they cannot do that in good faith until they have torn down all their beliefs and assumptions.

So that's about it. On a gaming note, I've ordered a bunch of stuff and look forward to getting started ASAP.

Blind-X originated from high school when me and "ThatTyeGuy" were never at school.... we would always go to the local internet cafe which was owned by some friends of ours.

We played a lot of FPS's for a while and I called my self BlindmarXman due to my high rate of fire and yet unusual number of head shots. But once you have to type BlindmarXman in enough times you get a bit sick of it hence Blind-X. :)

• 2 weeks later...

My screen name is due to playing Warmachine...

One of the Mercenary characters in that game )Magnus the Traitor) has an essay 'written' by him in the Hordes : Evolution book. After reading that, I realize that he was actually a righteous dude out to save his kingdom from the cranially incompetent idjits running the place... I started using it as a joke in tourneys, and then it became my screen name everywhere.

When I started out playing 40k, my first army was Eldar (2nd edition, where vortex grenades were common and psykers were the apocalypse personified). Dranthar became the name of my general and by extension, the username for forums I visited.

When 3rd edition 40k came around, I was tired of my mismatched Eldar and decided to start a Dark Eldar army with a more unified colour scheme. Typically, the leader and archnemesis of Dranthar was named Rathnard ("Dranthar" backwards).

As a side note, my non-work email account is still labelled "Dranthar@XXX.com". In non-wargaming circles I explain it away by saying that it's actually "Dr Anthar" (being that I now have a PhD). It's a lame excuse but it sort of works. :rolleyes:

Mine is in two parts;

1. LAZ is my real nickname, I use it so much that I'm pretty sure that some of my wife's family doesn't know my first name.

2. The infamous, this is a long part. It all has to do with 'The Three Amigos', which was my favorite film as a kid.

Quoth:

Martin Short: What does infamous mean?

Steve Martin: You know, he's more then famous. So famous that he's in famous.

Pretty unique and pretty much guaranteed not to be taken wherever I go.

I've used this handle on other message boards before - It's a reference to Flik and Futch, two characters from my favorite video game series, Suikoden. Now THAT would make an awesome miniature wargame.

As for the 87, it's not a reference to my birthyear (That's 1985). I just picked that to be different, I guess.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I'm a big fan of Etna (the main character's second in command) from the tactical RPG "Disgaea: Hour of Darkness".

There's a line one of the Prinnies (serial killers' souls sewn into stuffed penguin bodies) throws out at Laharl (The demon "overlord")- "We're not Laharl's vassals, we're Etna's vassals!", to which Laharl replies "Etna's vassals ARE my vassals!".

That exchange stuck with me, so I'm Etna's Vassal now.