Contests, Challenges ... and Changes. Help us out!

Nathan Caroland

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hrmmm, my wife barred me from karaoke night ... but ... maaaaybee ...

Still mulling over a lot of what ya'll discussed here, thank you. Some things that I can certainly bring to the forefront though that has already been decided or put into action.

• No Cash. I agree, its about community building and having a good time. We have thought about possibly adding that option for conventions but that is still up in the air and right now, not really on the table for giving a hoot.
  • Trophy, heh, do we have a trophy for you. Oh yes, and it came about in a conversation yesterday on some artwork that we've got made up and after we were all able to breath again due to laughing so hard, decided we're going to move on with our 'Golden XXXXXXXXXXXX'. We've got just the right guy to sculpt it too, right after I give him a holler.
  • Limited Editions, we're not fans of those in any fashion as I really hate the idea of folks not being able to get a hold of a particular miniature nor that you've got to pay through the nose in order to pick one up. And quite frankly, the fact that I've got to retire the model and mold after X amount sell doesn't sit well with me.

Now ... Special Editions, that's a whole 'nother fish to fry. Special Editions to me are new takes on old miniatures or ones that can take places of already existing miniatures. These would have the same stats in the game so that there wouldn't be anyone feeling shorted, just a new look. These would be available as prizes and most likely at Conventions. We've already got a couple that we're keen on and I've just given the go ahead to have them drawn up. Probably be some time before anything shows up as we've got the plates full right now but it is in the works.
  • Writing, Terrain, Conversions and Sculpting contests are very likely to show up throughout the year. I understand that not everyone has the same talents but that's life. I can't build terrain, make conversions or sculpt for the life of me .. heck, if I'm honest, I don't even paint that well and when I do write, its got to be spur of the moment because if I have to force it, never going to happen. Not sure what forms these are going to take but we'll figure something out.
  • Femme Fatale, Total Testosterone and The Rotten Harvest have been staples of Wyrd for three years now, and while I think they have been great, there has been a small decline in them this last year. I think primarily that is due to the fact that everyone and their brother is now jumping on the bandwagon with contests and while that is great, at the same time it draws focus away from one contest or another. Perhaps the trophies or the special edition prizes will make some differences but we'll see. This is still something that I want to mull over and make the best we're able.
  • Commenting on all entries in the contest galleries. Yeah, good points, all of them. We'll knock that part out of the contests and although it means less people get swag, it isn't much of a change and one that seems is wanted/needed so .... chop! Gone.
  • Sues idea of Quickmatches, or Quickfire .. heck whatever it was she called it (I gotta go back and look) is something that I was playing with anyhow but glad to see someone bring it up and looks like it is of interest to folks. Something I was thinking of doing is just doing little out of the blue contests that go for two or three weeks like 'Do a conversion on a Wyrd mini ...' whether that is a head, weapon or resculpt job on any piece, thought it might be of interest. We'll probably do a couple of these throughout the year for the giggles of it.
  • More Wyrd product related contests. Believe me, I would love to do more Wyrd specific stuff, at the same time we don't want to alienate folks or make them feel like they HAVE to buy our product in order to participate on this site. I don't think we really push our stuff as much as we could but then, I'm not an in your face type of fella. That said, we'll do something specifically Wyrd in the future and see just how it turns out. Won't every become the type of place that says you have to ONLY juse Wyrd stuff but I'm certain we can do something specifal for us and for the folks that make the effort to support us. We certainly appreciate it.

That's about it for now. Still chewing on some of the other parts here, and appreciate the time and effort that ya'll have put into letting me know just what you are looking for.

Oh, one of them will come, certain of it. Just going to let the Iron Painter get under way for a few rounds first before I drop another one in there. I've found that running one almost side by side with the IP just drives some people insane.

:D

Might do another contest of sorts that has nothing to do with painting though.

• More Wyrd product related contests. Believe me, I would love to do more Wyrd specific stuff, at the same time we don't want to alienate folks or make them feel like they HAVE to buy our product in order to participate on this site. I don't think we really push our stuff as much as we could but then, I'm not an in your face type of fella. That said, we'll do something specifically Wyrd in the future and see just how it turns out. Won't every become the type of place that says you have to ONLY juse Wyrd stuff but I'm certain we can do something specifal for us and for the folks that make the effort to support us. We certainly appreciate it.

My thoughts on this are: Have a mix of Wyrd-only and anything-goes. Like I said, I really appreciate that FF, RH and TT are anything goes, but it's worth noting that I felt like I should have entered a Wyrd mini in them, even though I didn't have to. As a way of saying thanks or showing appreciation, I think. Because you didn't make me, I wanted to. Admittedly, I failed to do this in the TT and RH comps that I've entered so far, but in my defence, I didn't have any suitable Wyrd minis for TT and I tried to redeem myself by buying some for RH but still haven't got round to painting them! D'oh! Of course, this is just how I feel, but it may well be that others feel the same. I think if that's the case, it might be better to keep some competitions open and the goodwill this would hopefully generate towards Wyrd would show across all the competitions.

At the end of the day, Wyrd is a company and I'm sure everyone here knows that you can't keep a business running on fresh air and none of us want to see Wyrd fail, so I would sincerely hope that people are not averse to spending some of their hard-earned to support Wyrd-exclusive comps in gratitude for the open ones.

Another thought occurs: You might notice a decrease in Wyrd minis in open comps in favour of entering them in Wyrd-only comps. Keeping the "Best of Wyrd" prize might prevent that happening too much, tho.

Another idea for a community event: Annually legacy warbands

This idea comes from an annual event on the talkbloodbowl.com site (and the NAF as well). First, the community decides which team/race to paint, which colourscheme etc. Basically, everybody who then decides to take part paints a miniature of said team/race and sends it to the organizer. At the end of the year a draw is made and one lucky person out of the contributors wins the whole team.

With some adaptations, could easily be done with Malifaux warbands.

Commenting on all entries in the contest galleries. Yeah, good points, all of them. We'll knock that part out of the contests and although it means less people get swag, it isn't much of a change and one that seems is wanted/needed so .... chop! Gone.

If the number of comments really drops, particularly for the entries that aren't by virtuoso painters, I hope you'll consider reinstating this.

I understand the points people are making, and certainly I have seen (and probably made) a few comments that are kind of pointless or padding to make the numbers. (Although I hope I'll try to comment on most/all of the entries regardless of prizes now that I'm in the habit.)

But I've always felt that the encouragement of comments and voting accomplished two things that really added to the contests - community involvement in the contests even if you weren't able/inclined to enter, and giving a reason to enter even if you feel you have no chance of winning.

If the number of comments really drops, particularly for the entries that aren't by virtuoso painters, I hope you'll consider reinstating this.

I understand the points people are making, and certainly I have seen (and probably made) a few comments that are kind of pointless or padding to make the numbers. (Although I hope I'll try to comment on most/all of the entries regardless of prizes now that I'm in the habit.)

But I've always felt that the encouragement of comments and voting accomplished two things that really added to the contests - community involvement in the contests even if you weren't able/inclined to enter, and giving a reason to enter even if you feel you have no chance of winning.

Rather valid point there too ... ya'll got me swinging on this one now.

I'd second Thryth's second. One of the reason I liked the contests so much was that I could get more comments in a single showing than I could posting that same mini at 3 or 4 sites. Yeah, you might get the "good job" quickie post, but I'd get that at most other forums as well, so I don't know if people are being all that much different than they might be anyway. Even if I got 5 out of 20 comments with some substance, I'd call that a win.

how about a team contest? either say teams of 3 against each other with the scores added together, or maybe do countries - the wyrd world cup. you could use an average score from each countries entrants that way it matters less if one country has 20 entrants and another has one or two.

as for prizes, i think a mini or bust of jims avatar would be great or a cheaper option is a badge. (think blue peter!)

I'd have to agree with the 'comments' argurement. I think getting feedback is the most important part. Hearing what people thought about your entry is what its all about. Even if it is a one liner, sometimes its funny and it makes you laugh, smile, etc. Sometimes I don't have a lot to say, but I try and comment about one thing I noticed or liked at least.

So do what ya gotta do but I really liked that part of it all. Plus, it may be my only chance of winning anything. :o:

I would hope that people would make comments because they've got something helpful to say, not because they want to win a prize. But that's just me with my irrepressable faith in human nature....;) I guess the compromise would be drop the prize incentive, if we end up with no comments, reinstate it (as Wren suggested).

I also think the odd Wyrd-only competition (with a distinctly Wyrd flavour and quirckiness) certainly falls into the realm of fair's fair. Like reciprocity for all the other comps Wyrd organises and pays for. But beware the thin end of the wedge....

SE v LE minis ... not sure I get the distinction. I would most sincerely urge that every mini produced by Wyrd will ultimately be available to anybody who wants one, even if it's a few years down the line. I personally find permanent, artificial exclusivity about as offensive as anything, but I know most folks seem to groove on it. Perhaps have minis for Cons and prizes but the exclusivity angle is that this will not be available to buy by the unwashed for at least a year, or two, or whatever - folks get their exclusivity, the majority don't feel too alienated, if they have patience.

I suppose I should also add a worry of mine - what could easily happen to this forum when Malifaux comes out and becomes more widely known. If the Infinity forum was anything to go by, it's a cool, chill, democratic place to hang out. Game blows up, the creators' presence on the boards all but disappears because they're now really, really busy. Folks come in droves, talking about how they fell out with another system/company/forum and how this all seems to be amazing ... then proceed to attempt to turn this system/company/forum into the one they just left (i.e. a bag of crap, largely because of their attitude). A strong creator presence on the forum is necessary in this phase, if the forum is to be saved.

Not being all voice-of-doomy but in some respects I'm a little worried what will happen when Malifaux comes out and becomes successful (as I'm sure it will, and will deserve to be). Hasn't stopped me bigging it up on other forums though!...;)

I admit that we have seen a change in the forum over the years but to be honest I think that it has grown in the community sense and while there seem to be a lot more gamers about these days which is fantastic, everyone here is into miniatures and painting (skills aside) and I feel that it is a fairly good balance.

That said, 'I' like miniatures, painting and contests. Eric, the other half of this duo of course knocks my socks off in those areas but is seriously into the gaming as well and I think between the two of us we'll keep a presence in both areas. I can only say that we try and though I do hope for a success with the game and the company in general, I hope that we are able to keep it a very community friendly site that will have interests for everyone interested.

I also think the odd Wyrd-only competition (with a distinctly Wyrd flavour and quirckiness) certainly falls into the realm of fair's fair. Like reciprocity for all the other comps Wyrd organises and pays for. But beware the thin end of the wedge....

SE v LE minis ... not sure I get the distinction. I would most sincerely urge that every mini produced by Wyrd will ultimately be available to anybody who wants one, even if it's a few years down the line. I personally find permanent, artificial exclusivity about as offensive as anything, but I know most folks seem to groove on it. Perhaps have minis for Cons and prizes but the exclusivity angle is that this will not be available to buy by the unwashed for at least a year, or two, or whatever - folks get their exclusivity, the majority don't feel too alienated, if they have patience.

1) I agree, I would also like to see the occasionally Wyrd-only contest. I remember entering one way back. What was it called? Totally Wyrd?

2) I really like what you are saying about the exclusivity for a period of time. I remember buying miniatures from the Wyrd booth at GenCon 40 because they hadn't been released yet. I thought that I was going to be able to get them painted before the studio work came-out (didn't manage that, though).

I admit that we have seen a change in the forum over the years but to be honest I think that it has grown in the community sense and while there seem to be a lot more gamers about these days which is fantastic, everyone here is into miniatures and painting (skills aside) and I feel that it is a fairly good balance.

That said, 'I' like miniatures, painting and contests. Eric, the other half of this duo of course knocks my socks off in those areas but is seriously into the gaming as well and I think between the two of us we'll keep a presence in both areas. I can only say that we try and though I do hope for a success with the game and the company in general, I hope that we are able to keep it a very community friendly site that will have interests for everyone interested.

I think that continuing to have contests like the IP and others that are not company specific will go a long way to keeping this forum healthy. Yes there will be a lot of gamers around that are total fanbois for the game. Heck I am one. The thing is, if the forum does not lose what makes it great already and simply adds to the mix a cool game I don't think you will have much to worry about.

What may be important is creating a few more admin folks that can help guide things or keep the game centric silliness to the correct areas.

Not trying to get off topic, but one thing about this forum (and no, I'm not trashing others; just saying) is that it doesn't come across as "cliquish"; at least, not to me. Some forums I've been on, it's like you have to be...I don't know..."in" (I guess) to even get a response, let alone try to carry on a conversation.

Wyrd has always felt like a community, and still does to this day. Just a bunch of people coming together, mostly because of minis, but with enough variety to keep things interesting.

The pending game has already brought in quite a few people - and I'm sure that the release will being even more - and all of them have seemed like decent folks. I'm pretty sure it'll stay that way - or at least I hope it will.

I totally agree with Hinton. I felt very welcomed when i joined the forum here and, as someone who's new to the painting world, places like cool mini seemed far too daunting so I really appreciated the fact that the forum was so open.

As for the contests, I tend to agree with the people that say you should keep at least some of the contests where you are allowed to enter any mini. The main reason is that i'd have probably not become involved in Wyrd if I had to enter a Wyrd mini. I appreciate that you're a company that needs to sell models, but if i'm anything to go by, I've now bought my first Wyrd models and you have gained a new customer, but that wouldn't have happened if I'd just wandered by the site and saw that I needed a Wyrd model in order to enter. I do, however, think that it's a good think to have a Wyrd only aspect to each competition.

I also agree with Wren about keeping the commenting aspect of the competition. I think that's one of the key aspects that really tears these competitions apart from other competitions that are on the internet. I appreciate that some of them are simply padding, but most of them contain really useful points. I think that if people don't comment on all the entries then you run the risk of having people only comment on the really good entries and that would mean that the slightly weaker entries which probably benefit more than anyone else from the comments would miss out. After the thing that makes these competitions great is that they're not just about winning but about development as well.

As for an idea for a sculpting competition, how about you choose a Wyrd model and everyone has to try and copy that model from scratch and whoever managed to copy it the closest wins?