Some Terrain Work

TheBugKing

I already saw the tutorial for this terrain on terrainthralls but the finished one is amazing. The rocks are awesome and the mine is fantastic. I love the trees too...I love all of it in fact.

What do you use for the lights in the mine and how do you do it ?

Edited by Moavoamoatu

I already saw the tutorial for this terrain on terrainthralls but the finished one is amazing. The rocks are awesome and the mine is fantastic. I love the trees too...I love all of it in fact.

What do you use for the lights in the mine and how do you do it ?

The lights are what are called grain lights.

They are little .5wat incandescent bulbs. They are a bit easier to use as they don't require resistors the way LEDs do but they have a significantly shorter life. They are rated for 1000 hours only where as LEDs are usually rated to 10000 hours. They are significantly smaller then LED however and in this application are what where needed.

As for the construction of the mine, it will be a tutorial on the Terrainthralls site next spring. We are having a contest between the members that will be up to popular vote. The general structure will be a submitted tutorial on which ever piece the member enters. We have untill May 18th 2009 to complete the piece. I guess it is for bragging rites but we have all offered prizes to the winner so first place is quite desirable too.

What you don't see in the pic is the elevator shaft that will have a functioning elevator. (I have about 100 hours in the elevator alone at the moment. with another 50 at least to go) A large ravine that will be directly above the mine and a bridge spanning the ravine tops.

The general idea is a 4' x 4' board to play Warmachine on so playability is a major consideration as well.

Thanks for the kind words folks.

I'm hoping that once the temperature in my garage drops below 110 (I live in Florida) I'll be able to get back to work.

TBK

...I'm hoping that once the temperature in my garage drops below 110 (I live in Florida) I'll be able to get back to work.

I have that same problem in my apartment, but I live in the Northwest ( up in Washington they don't think A/C is needed in most apartments since its only hot for a few weeks, what a crock)

Here are a fe WIP pics of the elevator.

Over all:

IMG_1725.jpg

IMG_1726.jpg

Where I found springs that push (Sorry for the lack of a technical term. It's late and I am tired)

DSC00235.jpg

I have some 3/64" plastic coated aircraft cable from work that I am using as guide cables for the piece. I took some 1/64" brass wire and wrapped the ends of the cable before sealing it with glue. Then I threaded the cable through all the various components before threading it back through the bottom. I used a rheostat to hold the spring down while I wrapped the loose end.

DSC00236.jpg

A picture showing how the cable rests in the I-beam and the brass tube on the elevator car that functions as a guide.

DSC00237.jpg

A picture of how the cable is routed along the top of the elevator shaft.

DSC00238.jpg

Hopefully things will remain relatively cool so that I can get some more work done on this. (crosses fingers)

TBK

This is really amazing - a working elevator! I'm still trying to finish some prebuilt GW terrain, but I've always wanted to make my own. What did you use for the Spanish Moss effect on the Cryx piece?

WOW that's great, That hanging foliage looks quite cool, and adds to that creepy feel

For the foliage I used green polyfiber from Woodland Scenics.

Go here:

http://www.terrainthralls.com/articles/brokencoast2/firstpage.aspx

That will give you the entire process for the tree creation from start to finish.

The Brokencoast tutorials 1-4 detail the entire process. Unfortunately I screwed up section 4 and forgot to put completed pictures on the tail end of the tutorial. <oops> :banghead:

It was relatively cool again today so I got about 10 hours of work done.

The problem with the elevator is that 10 hours of work looks like next to nothing! I'll be really glad when this part of the project is done and I can start slapping foam around again.

I managed to get the limit box about 80% completed.

First pics show the inside of the limit box showing the magnet and the reed switches.

DSC00267.jpg

DSC00268.jpg

DSC00269.jpg

Here is the over all look. I'll be adding the piping to the other side as well.

DSC00266.jpg

The last two images are just me placing the elevator making sure everything fits properly. You can see the motor unit in front.

DSC00271.jpg

DSC00270.jpg

Comments, criticisms, suggestions are always welcome and encouraged.

TBK

P.S.

After thinking about this project I realized that there is no reason why this has to be for Warmachine / Hordes. It could very easily be for Malifaux as well. Steampunk Check.

Mining Check.

The only sticking point is going to be the river but if there are swamps then there must be water right? Very psyched that this will be able to be multy-system!

A bit of an update.

I finally got the third pulley unit done.

With that the elevator works! I'll be attaching the fourth pulley tomorrow as well as beginning to assemble the limit system and attaching the motor.

The hard part is done and it will definitely work now.

(Very psyched)

[ame=http://s75.photobucket.com/albums/i287/TheBugKing/Warmachine%20Hords%20Table/?action=view&current=MVI_3226.flv]th_MVI_3226.jpg[/ame]

The video is sidways because I couldn't fit the entire elevator into the frame.

I'll start the limit construction tomorrow.

Well the limits are almost done.

I made the connecting lever a bit small. It runs and turns itself off but the limit doesn't make it to the reverse position. I missed by about 1/16".

<sigh>

Pictures of the system:

IMG_3241.jpg

IMG_3242.jpg

IMG_3245.jpg

IMG_3243.jpg

IMG_3244.jpg

The issue is that I glued the 1/16" tube end stops on. Removing them is really hard.

Kind of bummed with this result.

(Stupid birthday karma. Something always goes wrong.)

Once I get the thing operational I’ll post a video of the thing working.

If all goes well that will be tomorrow.

TBK