The Genre Challenge!

supervike

You know, as painters, so many of us end up getting pigeon holed by the type of miniatures we paint. I'm curious to know if the TYPE of mini we paint is what influences our style.

The Iron Painter contest will sometimes force painters out of thier comfort zones, but how about a self imposed challenge?

So, I'm throwing down the gauntlet, so to speak.

I just want to see how painters do with other genres. Maybe we'll find something that really clicks....who knows??

So, if you are traditionally a 'fantasy' painter, I'm challenging you to try something new...Sci-fi, pulp, goofy robot, WHATEVER. Always paint something dark and scary? Try cute and fluffy! Love Sci-fi? Paint a cowboy.

So, anyhow, just try and break your own mold and post the results up here. I think it maybe cool to see the results!!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm. I don't really paint a genre. I used to be mainly just 40K, but I'm all over the place now.

Wait- I take that back. I have previously admitted to a "genre"- cheesecake. I hardly ever paint guys anymore, unless it's specifically for a game like my Blood Bowl team, or for work. For your challenge, I will paint a dude.

Actually, I will one-up that, and paint a 54mm historical dude. On a horse. That would be breaking my traditions pretty thoroughly.

Still no filigree, though. Some rules need to be heeded.

Edited by Bexley

I have to admit to being a bit stumped on mouldbreaking ..hmmm maybe cute and fluffy .............. will have a look see what I've got....will have to wait until my 3ft Wyrd list and my GD entries are done but will bear this in mind... maybe see if we can set up an anonymous comp style gallery and let folks guess who's is who's/??

I guess I would fall into a macabre-undead-fantasy genre; definitely not "cute and fluffy" types. It could be an intersesting experience trying to paint something like that.

So, maybe something modern that's cute and fluffy. Anyone know of anything like that?

Hmmmmm... I think I'm pretty much all over the place. Something new? Ah...I have this large scale female pirate bust I bought last October to paint for a show this October...but have not yet started it. Still, is it breaking the mold? I've done dark, I've done light, I've done funny and serious, I've done good guys and bad guys. Seriously, other than the bust being something different for me, I'm not sure I have any ruts trailing behind me on the painting road...

I usually paint fantasy (I find it easier than all the powered armour - blehh) so I guess it would be sci-fi or historical for me. Or non-GW. Hmm. And for the real break from the comfort zone, I should try those techniques that all the cool kids use (OSL, NMM and the like) and hopefully do a decent job.

Cool. A non-GW mini with all that transparency layering/OSL/NMM/scenic base tosh that's utter rubbish because I can't do it. Maybe a Wyrd mini. And a better photographer, too. Just no Baneblades, please.

I'm in, if you'll have me.

i know people probably think i only paint greenskins but i try my hand at anything but usually end up doing fantasy stuff mainly. i did get a wyrd mini from waghorn and never painted one (dont say it aloud!!) so i might try that, does that count?

Well, I don't think it necessarily has to be something you've never done before, as much as something you don't do very often, or is different from what you've been doing lately. I've only done historical stuff a handful of times.

Also, a lot of people get into... well not a rut, but... a kick, maybe- where you paint a certain type or company for a while. I've painted a lot of Rackham in the last few months, because I placed a monster order a while ago and have a lot of it around. Prior to that, it was GW Skaven for Blood Bowl. Prior to that, it was 54mm sci-fi. This is a chance to do something a little different fromthe current kick you're on. Not necessarily new, just a bit different.

I hadn't even considered painting style. I've never done monochrome, and nmm only once- mostly just to say that I'd done it, as I don't much care for the look.

Actually- the historical model I was thinking of is a WWII german on horseback that I have... that might look really neat painted in black-and-white or a sepia tone. Especially if I did a mini-dioarama, all in a sepia tone. That'd be breaking quite a few norms. There was an article I read a bit ago, about a guy who did all his pulp gaming scenery, vehicles, and figures in black-and-white, and it was one of the coolest things (and ideas) I'd seen in miniatures ever.

I dunno, I think IP4 did a fairly solid job of kicking me out of my standard comfort zones. I do tend mainly towards fantasy, but I've done a lot of medieval historical, a little sci-fi and even some western. Heck I even did comic book characters. I dunno that my style changes dramatically from genre to genre though. It's more that the mood and the overall effect I'm trying to get across changes. So it's more that the textrures and the lighting change based on what I want the overall effect to be.

Two years ago on our russian forum about minis i'm offered an "mini duels". Two painters decides theme of their cimpetition, like "bloody carnage", "beauty of the East" etc. Their have 1-2 weeks to paint their minis and then make a poll when people decides who is better. This duels breaking not only genre borders, but even style priorities. It's important, that not only quality of painting ruling the duel, you must to make an atmospheric mini. Now, i'm fighting with my friend, we choose "eternal fury" theme. I'm painting an Aberation clone, he - something from devourers.

As for me, i like all genres, but every manufacturer has unique style of thir minis. And this is allow me to vary my style of painting. In the future i'll try to get some minis from Wyrd (really outstanding style!) and Darksword(to try a very different painting style). I think, every mini should be an experiment, something new and different in painting, i's improving painting skill and imagination.

Edited by Landreth

I think I'm one of those painters that definitely does have a comfort zone of subject, which is not so much genre as a character/style type - smooth, probably female and clean. But I do like to mix it up now and then, and IP is a big spur in that it makes me mix it up whether I want to or not. :->

I suppose the most opposite thing I could do would be something nurgle-like and slime covered, but I'm not sure I'd enjoy the exercise at all. A space marine would be a bit of a departure for me too, and that's an idea I'd consider more seriously some time after Gen Con.

Edited by Wren

My genre breakout is definitely 40K or just sci-fi in general. I painted a Commissar for Games Day, but that was my first 40K piece in over a year. The funny thing about the genre challenge coming up right now is that I'm trying my hand at a Space Marine, which is way out of my preferred fantasy chick zone. I'll be sure to post pics as soon as he's done.