You gotta just 'love' idiots ...

So, website has been down for atleast fifteen hours today due to the fact that the web server folks decided to do a bit of 'cleaning' and clear out old IP addressed and the like. I don't pretend to know half of what they were supposedly doing.

Of course I wake up early around 7am and find that the site has been reverted to an old one from February and after a panicked e-mail, I was told that it would resolve itself shortly when the DNS propagates.

Hrmmm, okay. Sure.

No, someone decided I was an idiot customer and just glossed over the complaint and didn't really 'read' what was there, just what they expected. The big hint for them should have been 'old website showing'. What they had done, and came to realize after my fifth e-mail was that 'whooops, they pointed it to the old server.

'Hey, we'll fix that right away and it should fix up shortly!'

Great ... except ... no, it didn't. Three more e-mails and some additional complaints and they find that they entered the IP address wrong in the DNS zone. Flip of a switch, enter the right information and ...

*GASP*

.... the websites back.

You know, I'm really hacked off right now. Despite painting it rather clearly in the e-mails that there was something definitely wrong, the fact that I wasn't an IP guru automatically made it so that I was just shouting 'wolf' and didn't know what I was talking about.

I'm currently looking into other options for web servers. I've had my fill of idiots.

Edited by Nathan Caroland

Ah I love how Server Admins tend to think they know so much more than someone who is a network admin or network IT type. Apparently the fact that you can point out the obvious as to what's wrong they immedately tell you, oh no, that's not whats wrong. Of course the worst thing is DNS propagation is always such a beyotch (especially depending on your provider it can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 12 hours :( )

The URL http://www.wyrd-games.net/ still isn't working for me. I just get a page about oranges or something. To get on the site I have to go via a thread link on my RSS reader.

That's a caching problem, either your browser has it cached or you computer has the dns info cached, to fix it since your on a Mac:

for the browser, in safari go into history and chose clear history. To clear out your dns cache, open terminal and at the command prompt

pre 10.2 : lookupd -flushcache

post 10.2: dscacheutil -flushcache

and that will fix the problem

Nope. The banner loads quickly, but then it hangs for 15 seconds or so before loading the shoutbox box or any forum posts. The main page seems to load fine, it's just the forum pages.

Of course, as nobody else has said anything, it may just be something weird on my end.

Nope, figured it out.

I got to the house tonight from work and found it loading extremely slow and noticed that one of my external programs which I use to track the website, click-backs and track guest visits seems to be down.

Wyrd kept trying to contact the engine and when it finally timed out it would load the page. I've gone ahead and disabled it until the service is back up.

Sorry about that.