Greetings From The Old Fool

DeafNala

Okay, Nathan I'm going to try just one more time and then.............

Hi Dear Friends & Fellow Mini Addicts,

I'm DeafNala, although my Mom thought of me as Alan. I'm officially older than dirt & have been in love with & painting toy soldiers/making terrain/ playing games [not recently though] for the past 45 years. I'm almost satisfied with my work; there's always room for improvement.

I promise not to do the "good old days" schtick; these are the good old days right now. For various & sundry reasons I won't bore you with [imminent senility], I find myself now able to devote myself full time to The Craft. I do everything from individual minis through gaming armies onto personalized gaming tables for persons strange enough to like my stuff. The biggest piece I've done thus far is a 4'X8' Mordheim board replete with the Memorial Garden & Temple of Morr/Graveyard.

My next project is to steal a camera, learn to use it, & subject you all to the results. Consider yourselves warned.

One of my guiding principles is "never to join a club that would have me as a member" [Grocho Marx]. I am, however, enjoying my stay as a member of this very talented, decidedly pleasant group. I hope to hear [well I can't actually hear, but you catch my drift] from any of you guys/gals that have nothing better to do with your time. Until then..........

Ciao Y'all,

DeafNala

Glad to have you on the boards, you had me at "very talented, decidedly pleasant" ...flattery will get you everywhere! And by adding decidedly pleasant, I figured you couldn't be talking about nathan... (actually thinking about it, I figure it couldn't be him due to the very talented part also).

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your work, and would be really interesting to see how it evolved over the years, but that's probably too much to hope for!

Anyway, welcome to wyrd!

You know Eric, one of these days I'm going to tie you naked on top of an ant hill and pour honey all over you and grab a lawn chair just to hear your screams ....

But, back on subject, Welcome to Wyrd Alan! Glad to see that the post went through this time and very much looking forward to seeing your projects that you've spoken about.

Aw Gee, thanks for the warm welcome. It took a bit of doing getting the intro up; I had Nathan going there for awhile as to why my attempts were failling. It definitely was was worth the effort.

I'm afraid I don't have any of my first attempts at the craft:re, wood deteriorates over the years when left to the mercy of the elements. I do,however, have quite a lot of really old minis like pre-slotta base Citadels that I just never gotte to. So if you need something old in way of a mini let me know; if I have it it's yours [i'd rather someone got to paint it than have it sitting forelorn in some plastic draw].

One of the fellows I paint for gave me his old camera. Now, if I can just figure the beastie out [see previous senility comments] I can start the barage of pics. Plus, the Morheim board owner has promised to provide some photos.

If you really need to drink, paint avoid the metallics, & the black tastes terrible.

You know Eric, one of these days I'm going to tie you naked on top of an ant hill and pour honey all over you and grab a lawn chair just to hear your screams ....

But, back on subject, Welcome to Wyrd Alan! Glad to see that the post went through this time and very much looking forward to seeing your projects that you've spoken about.

As one dirt clod to another Welcome Alan ;)

don't believe a word anyone here says about me..I'm innocent!!!! well maybe except for that unfortunate accident with the dead chicken and those candles, I swear I didn’t mean to raise those zombies

@ Nathan......you will of course be selling tickets for the show, I have my own chase lounge for the event. ;)

On Brush Licking:

Many Moons ago, when I had all my hair, most of my teeth, and some of my brain cells still in place, I had a painting class going at a local hobby store, Men At Arms [still there]. A fair number of my kids did very well at picking up the craft & some of them are still active miniaturist/gamers, but the one thing every single one of them homed in on & adopted was my regretable habit of forming a point on my brushes by pulling the bristle between my lips [still do it.............Wow the colors, Man]. I have other disgusting painting techniques that I'd rather not discuss.

On Wiccans:

My buddy Karen & I had a flea market shop where we sold my minis, games, AND Wicca books & stuff. All our witchy folk of both genders where really cool, interesting people. The Angel crowd were cheap.

"Being politically correct means always having to say you're sorry."

Yep, Coram/Selden is the locale for Men at Arms. Are you a fellow Long Islander? I live [okay, exist kind of] in Sound Beach.

Thryth, I read your mini history. On paint removal, I found that a soak in window cleaner [the more ammonia the better] & a scrub with a bristle brush [like you get in some sculpting tools] really works well & is quite quick.

On the "Angel Crowd" as opposed to "the Brady Bunch" [& who isn't opposed "to the Brady Bunch], I know I'm going to get in trouble on this one, but what the heck. When erstwhiles friend Karen & I had our little place at an unnamed Flea Market in addition to Witchy stuff we sold Angel stuff. Whereas the Witchy folk were bright, charming tolerant people [Hi Wiccanpony] & mostly female [YES], the folks we encountered through the Angel stuff were none of the above, except for the female part . One "Angel Crowder" who was looking at an Angel magnet for a dying friend, when told it cost $5 asked if we had anything cheaper; I won't go into Karen's [the Mouth of the South] reply for fear of retailiation [i like it at this site]. I can only go on my limited experiences so from what [little] I've seen Witches= pleasant & generous & Angels=parochial (sp) & cheap.

"But I wasn't expecting the Spanish Inquisition"