The Movies Thread

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I received the silent Call of Cthulhu movie a couple of weeks ago and I must say it is really cool if 20's Cthulhu stuff is your thing. Last Friday me and my mates watched it before our session of Call of Cthulhu RPG. Excellent stuff to get warmed up. It's really cool if you consider it is mostly a fanmade movie with limited resources. This meant they had to make some very creative choices to get some parts on the screen and the end result is really cool.

Don't expect top actors or today's computer effects but mostly oldskool cinematography. Link:

http://www.cthulhulives.org/cocmovie/

• 2 weeks later...

Coraline

Saw this last night. WOW. What a great creepy movie! The animation and miniature puppets were fantastic! Colors were hypnotic and the story was very cute. Like I said it was pretty creepy, I'm not sure how I would feel about taking a child to the film but that beeing said it is rated PG. I saw it in 3D and now officially hate 3D movies. I can't ever seem to focus my eyes or lean at an angle(not to mention the $12.50 admmision). So I'd thumbs down the 3D, but two thumbs up the movie. If you like Tim Burtons animated movies, you should enjoy this. If nothing else, it's a visually gorgeous film.

How is Statham accepted over there btw? I know some actors make it on one side of the pond and not the other, but here in the US he seems to be going over rather well.

I've more or less liked all of his films though I never bothered to go see that D&D one he put out a bit back, just knew that was going to suck and didn't want to be bothered with it.

Another one you would expect to see more out of and moving into those roles that are being vacated these days would be Vin Diesel, but he seems to be going no where at the moment after seeing that pathetic movie Babylon AD. Might be redeeming in Fast and Furious 4 though.

How is Statham accepted over there btw? I know some actors make it on one side of the pond and not the other, but here in the US he seems to be going over rather well.

I've more or less liked all of his films though I never bothered to go see that D&D one he put out a bit back, just knew that was going to suck and didn't want to be bothered with it.

Another one you would expect to see more out of and moving into those roles that are being vacated these days would be Vin Diesel, but he seems to be going no where at the moment after seeing that pathetic movie Babylon AD. Might be redeeming in Fast and Furious 4 though.

For Statham, he plays the hard driving, action hero well, but i think he's getting typecast, he's played the exact same character in about 9 movies, and the movie he did that was fantasy, well, it was a Uwe Boll movie so it really doesn't count.

For Vin, I think it all comes down to direction and his character, while Babylon AD wasn't spectacular, it was a semi-decent sci-fi flick (please note *I actually liked Rollerball (remake) as an action flick*) I think the one that didn't really fit and kind of hurt him was the disney movie "The Pacifier"

King of Kong: Fistfull of Quarters 2007

Ever wonder who holds the all time high score for Donkey Kong? Well, its debatable. Explore the drama and politics involded in crowning the "King of Kong" in this suprisingly well produced documentary. I never had any idea such a controversy like this existed.

Watch as Steve Wiebe attempts to validate himself as the champ in tight knit group of doubters that include D-bag of the classic video game scene Billy Mitchell. It's a great documentary that I got frustrated watching at times but completely enjoyed.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3K7wpatALDQ]YouTube - Todd Rogers in the King of Kong (2007)[/ame]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Went and saw Sherlock Holmes the other day ... quite good! I like the fact that its its own story but at the same time setup for another in the line which I'm fairly sure they'll do considering the reviews and interest in the show.

Good stuff.

Also got to watch 2012. Plot holes bigger than any, but I'll be damned if I didn't enjoy it for the pure eye candy that it was with the destruction of cities, buildings, continents .. you name it. All implausible as hell (love dodging buildings and mountains with airplanes) but it was visually enjoyable.

And Gamer, got around to watching that. Lot of big names in it. Could have done soooooo much better IMO and all that 'Social' stuff could have done without on the gratuitous T&A stuff. And the fat bastard controling the chick ... ::shiver::: Nasty.

And while I expect this will be mindless, sort of looking forward to it.

[ame]

[/ame]