The Movies Thread

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Watchmen trailer looks fantastic!

Watchmen is arguably the best 'comic' book ever written, at least the best 'superhero' story, but I just worry how it will translate to film. Visually, should be no problem, but the story is so filled with metaphor and double meaning, I think the subtext will be lost....

It's one of those books that you read and find something new in it each time. It's amazing how many visual clues that were put into the art, that once you go through it for subsequent readings, things fall into place like a fine puzzle.

I just started reading it again for the upteenth time, and I'm still blown away by it's complexity, timing, and mood.

And, sort of like how I felt with The Lord of the Rings being put onto film....I worry that future audiences will not read the book because they figure they'd already 'seen' the movie. That will be their loss...

All the above, plus it's about 15 years too late to be anything the current movie-going audience on a large scale will have heard anything of. Only two of the guys in the group I went and saw DK with even knew what it was.

Shame, too. I read a Sam Hamm Watchmen script about 10 years ago, don't know if this will be the same, but I agree - something this complex will be very tough to put onto the big screen. I'm more than a little nervous about it.

As far as the Dark Knight goes - saw it on IMAX and was BLOWN AWAY. Everything about it was great, the acting, the action, the story (well, could have had a bit more depth), but nearly perfect in its execution.

The odd thing is: at 2.5 hours I'm not sure when/if I'll go catch it on the big screen again. I've watched Begins numerous times at home, but not sure if I'll be watching DK over and over again. It's like the Departed to me: a great crime movie that I loved watching, but don't want to sully with repeat viewings.

"My insides hurt..."

I am surprised that no one has mention The Dark Knight yet. Phenomenal movie! Heath ledger was totally believeable as a psycho and shopuld get an Oscar nod.

Because it's not out here until Friday you teasers...............

saw a newer trailer for the Mummy yesterday haven't had a chance to look for it anywhere yet but the Dragon and Yetis perked my interest a bit more than the initial teaser...

Had no interest in the Mummy until I saw the long preview, now I'm jazzed for it. Brendan's always entertaining and the movie looks like a great popcorn ride.

The strafing run on the Teracotta Warriors had me laughing.

Not sure about the 3-headed dragon, could be overkill. ;)

Saw Dark Knight ... have to admit, that was a very fun movie! The best part for me was when the Joker said 'lets start with a magic trick .... taadaaaaa!' Laughed my ass off on that one.

Great story overall on this, villains were done very well and generally very pleased with the entertainment value this one brought though with all the batman movies, I hate it when batman talks because they have them do that stage whisper, I'm a hard ass type voice. Bleah, come on.

Hellboy II, had a chance to see that as well. To be honest, I was really, really disappointed by this one. All the weird war stuff is gone and the darker feel it had is just right out the door. Visually, very appealing, but it went from a pulp type movie to ... well not really sure. Entertaining in its own right, had some friends just gush all about it, just wasn't what I was expecting I suppose.

Again another film we have to wait for... gotta admit from the trailers hellboy looks different visually from the darkness of the first....but still fun.....

I totally get what your saying on the voice of Batman.. and when I read it I laughed my ass off.. The suit must weigh a ton .. was watching begins last night ad pointed out to the missus that it bugs me when he has the voice change with the suit .. fair enough to add to the disguise but even when he's doing the dialogue with Liam neeson in the end fight and he knows it's Wayne he still does the early moring smoker voice.

Hellboy II, had a chance to see that as well. To be honest, I was really, really disappointed by this one. All the weird war stuff is gone and the darker feel it had is just right out the door. Visually, very appealing, but it went from a pulp type movie to ... well not really sure. Entertaining in its own right, had some friends just gush all about it, just wasn't what I was expecting I suppose.

I can't disagree with this assessment....the comic is like that too however, mixes in dark tone stories and once in a while you have a more whimsical feel.

I think they could have shitcanned the entire 'magical troll city' and I wouldn't have missed it at all.

Pretty much the best suggestion I've heard to be honest. They could have moved that fight with the big troll creature into some dark alley, sewer or warehouse and would have worked out just fine.

The whole slapping around people and talking to a baby tumor was extremely stupid as well. Whatcha going to do though, not like I'm a producer ...

• 4 weeks later...

I saw DR2000 last night. LOL! Classic! No wonder its got such a cult following. "With that new robotic hand they say you can shift in less than half a second" lol. The cars look so awesome... How bout that that big knife on the front of Machine gun's car. Awesome.

I also recently saw 21- Sucked, Hacky voice-overs, read the books instead. ("Bringing down the house" was the one I read) None of the people that were involved with the hustle had anything to do with this flick because they are smarter than to release that crap.

Campy Horror lover? I also watched "Asylum" the other night. This was surprisingly "good" I mean don't get me wrong, not the best movie by any means, but if you’re a horror fan, this has a little bit of it all. Freddy, Jason, Halloween etc. Gory as hell in parts, wanna see someone's lips get cut off? lol, it was great, but I love crappy movies so...

Teeth. I watched this masterpiece last month and loved it. "Vaginitis Dentada" just like it sounds, teeth in the you know where. Very unconfortable at times, but I guess thats what impresses me sometimes. haha!

Couldn't find DR2000 for nothing, and I went to five places looking for it. Going to have to just order it I think.

Watched Evil Aliens, movie out ... hell I'll upset someone over there, but England I want to say, though it was based on some Welsh farmland. Hokey, stupid, but despite all that, I laughed my ass off on some of it, particularly the combine. Really not worth renting folks, and have to be in the mood for it .. guess I was.

Jumper, very, very cool. Not a 'great' movie, but a fun one, and it caught my attention which is more than what most of these do these days.

Teeth, okay, I have to admit that is just a bit over the top for me, I haven't watched it, but thought about it, but then read the back and said 'hah, no ..'.

Thought about seeing the new release Ruins, but kept hearing from folks at the video store that it wasn't even a renter.

Thought about seeing the new release Ruins, but kept hearing from folks at the video store that it wasn't even a renter.

It's horrible. I fully admit to downloading it, and I want my bandwidth back. Horrible, horrible movie.

The Outpost is a good Nazi/Zombie flick, really enjoyed that.