The Movies Thread

So, Ironman would be okay for my 8 yo?

Well, you know that's a loaded question. My 12 year old loved it, but some of the action is a bit intense and over the top....I'd say yes, but i don't want to be responsible for a scarred childhood!!!

There were several little tots in the theatre when we went, and all seemed fine.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Acclaimed (in their own living room) movie critics, Art and Sue Wachowski give Ironman a FULL four thumbs up. There is a very brief ...ehem...affair, and the bombing and sniper scene in the beginning was a bit too close to Iraq reality. I was uncomfortable with it and would not bring an 8 year old. I'm thinking the 8 year old will love everything else, but again, the middle east scenes I think might be too much for an 8 year old right now. Maybe in the comfort of your own living room, with the parental distraction method employed, an 8 year old would breeze through the worst parts. They wouldn't catch the psychological nuances. Then again, I'm not sure Art did either. ;-)

Wachowski Four Thumbs Up!

Well I'v no idea what Mr. Jackson is going on about there. Might go see the film, might not, it hasn't really excited me TBH.

And if it is a choice between that and the new Joy Division documentary, I know what i'd rather go see.

But Joy Division is only getting a limited release at small cinemas, hopefully the Tyneside cinema will get it in.

Ohhhh.... this ought to be good - I loved Control last year.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a pleasant surprise with a straight to DVD movie today...(well I think it was as I can't remember it being at the cinema..) Dragon wars.....

not the greatest writing in the world but just a cool gang of monsters kicking the shit out of a city and one of the best chinese dragonsI've seen put to film....kinda feel it was just lacking a big studios support to be a real treat.. but maybe that's just me..

I had a pleasant surprise with a straight to DVD movie today...(well I think it was as I can't remember it being at the cinema..) Dragon wars.....

not the greatest writing in the world but just a cool gang of monsters kicking the shit out of a city and one of the best chinese dragonsI've seen put to film....kinda feel it was just lacking a big studios support to be a real treat.. but maybe that's just me..

It had a trip of about 2 weeks in the US cinema and was pretty much panned. as a movie it had pretty decent effects, story was kinda contrived IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...

Took the family to see Hancock yesterday and I have to say that it was a fantastic movie!

Not what I expected to be honest ... well, that's not true, the first half of the movie was exactly what I expected, it is the last half of the movie that took a hell of a curve ball that I didn't see coming (a nice surprise that) and the actual back story behind who Hancock is is rather neat, though they leave a lot of unanswered questions.

Anyhow, great movie.

• 2 weeks later...

That Watchmen trailer looks fantastic!

Watchmen is arguably the best 'comic' book ever written, at least the best 'superhero' story, but I just worry how it will translate to film. Visually, should be no problem, but the story is so filled with metaphor and double meaning, I think the subtext will be lost....

It's one of those books that you read and find something new in it each time. It's amazing how many visual clues that were put into the art, that once you go through it for subsequent readings, things fall into place like a fine puzzle.

I just started reading it again for the upteenth time, and I'm still blown away by it's complexity, timing, and mood.

And, sort of like how I felt with The Lord of the Rings being put onto film....I worry that future audiences will not read the book because they figure they'd already 'seen' the movie. That will be their loss...

I need to get a new copy of watchmen. And old GF of mine absconded with mine, and I haven't replaced it yet.

I am surprised that no one has mentioned The Dark Knight yet. Phenomenal movie! Heath ledger was totally believeable as a psycho and should get an Oscar nod.

Saw Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D Saturday. Had it not been in 3D, it would have been a bit of a yawner, but the giant pirahna leaping out of the water at you tends to keep you visually stimulated.

Edited by ThunderhawkerMinis

I need to get a new copy of watchmen. And old GF of mine absconded with mine, and I haven't replaced it yet.

I am surprised that no one has mention The Dark Knight yet. Phenomenal movie! Heath ledger was totally believeable as a psycho and shopuld get an Oscar nod.

Saw Journey to the Center of the Earth in 3D Saturday. Had it not been in 3D, it would have been a bit of a yawner, but the giant pirahna leaping out of the water at you tends to keep you visually stimulated.

My brother went and saw The Dark Knight....said it was phenomenal! I meant to go see it, but softball tourneys took up our whole weekend.

My sister went and saw JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH...but the damn theater didn't have the 'capability' to do it in 3-d. She demanded (and got) a refund.