Iron Painter 4 FINAL: WINNER ANNOUNCED!

supervike

Last year I tried to enter an IP during con season (we attend board game as well as mini-related cons, so it starts up for us in Feb) and it didn't go so well, so I would probably pass on joining this one as well and just enjoy watching the insanity from the sidelines.

man, I can't believe that Gencon already feels like it's right around the corner!!

Although, we need to have a little break, as I think with the popularity and level that the IP took this round, wyrd may have to take a moment or two to figure out something really nice to get together to support the next one... *evil grin*

I'm guessing whether you think it's lucky is the difference in perspective of whether you do it for a job or for fun? We know a woman who goes to 12+ cons a year. As an attendee, she doesn't make or sell games. A lot of board game cons are little private weekend things that don't cost a lot of money, but it's still a decent amount of time driving and money on hotel rooms. Interestingly, she hardly owns any games, she spends her hobby money on attending cons. (Which works cause she's also lucky enough to live in an area with a huge board gaming group so lots of the other club members do the game buying.)

My husband would LOVE to go to Essen. We have friends who go every year, so we can at least usually get a few of the new releases if we really feel we have to have them right now, but I know he'd like to have the whole board game overload experience. Me, I think it sounds like too many people, and if I'm forking out the cash to go to Europe, I wanna see Europe. (Or go to one of the big mini-related cons. ;->) PAX seems like something we'd enjoy, I'm not familiar with ACD. We've never yet gone to DragonCon, Origins or Board Game Geek Con. Our first con of the year is in 2.5 weeks, ack!

ACD is a retailer show, so you'd not likely go unless you were a retailer or a manufacturer. (You may well be one of those; but if you weren't, it would explain why the show wasn't on your radar.)

Sadly, I don't actually get to go to many Cons, but my primary job is making displays and prototypes, so I participate in the crazy deadline frenzy beforehand. The season never really ends for me, but on top of that, I don't actually get the fun of going, except for GenCon, when the whole company goes.

Ouch, that does sound pretty sucky, to be stuck with all the frantic prep but not much of the fun of the con itself! :-< Given how busy the FFG booth always seems to be at Gen Con, that's probably not so much fun, either. Hope your job has some good perks to make up for it!

I used to work part time as a sales clerk in a game store, but then I realized that I was probably losing more money buying things with my discount than I was making with my very crappy wages, so I stopped. One of the honchos who worked at a local distributor (now defunct) would come in and talk about Toy Fair and a few of the others they went to, but I guess he either didn't go to ACD or didn't have any stories to tell about that one.

If you're demoing a game, and you enjoy the game, it's fairly fun. Unless you're very hungover. You just have to eat lots of cough drops to keep your voice from going out, unless you're used to not only talking eight hours a day, but trying to talk over all the other noise for eight hours a day. I'm looking forward to it much more this year, because of the stuff I get to make for it, and because I'll actually get to meet a bunch of you (I started frequenting this forum after GenCon last year) in person.

Not to mention, I suspect there will be some new Wyrd releases to pick up.

I'd enjoy meeting you also. My husband LOVES FFG stuff, so we'll definitely be by the booth. I like FFG stuff too, of course, but he's like an addict and checks by the booth area several times a day. We had press passes last year to do some articles for Knucklebones magazine and got the deluxe tour from Jeremy (Stromberg, might be spelling that wrong, he was very nice and patient.) I'm grateful to those of you who put in the effort to demo, it's helped me to decide about a lot of games. We've gotten to know enough people that work at booths that I try to carry mints to offer for sore throats. I don't think my voice would last a day nevermind all four of that treatment!

Talking at GenCon ... whewboy! Ask anyone that got to talk to me for any amount of time after the first day and most of them will tell you that I had the tape recorder voice (Welcome to Wyrd, we've got a booth special this Gencon. If you buy .... damn, I still remember it all) and my voice was shot.

I did try my damndest not to flip everyone off this year though after Eric pointed out, after the fact, that I kept giving everyone the bird as I was pointing out miniatures in the cabinet.

Jeremy is a goof. A giant waste of space, with terrible hygiene to boot.

(Also, I've known him since the fourth grade, and get to publicly smear him whenever possible. :D )

If he brought you by the Mutant Chronicles demos (he brought many many press people by, as we were debuting the figures for the first time at GenCon) then we may very well have already met- I made the terrain pieces, and was chained to one of them all weekend.

FF: Cough drops, I tell ya. Indispensible, along with as much water as you can drink without having to abandon your post for too many bathroom breaks.

If he brought you by the Mutant Chronicles demos (he brought many many press people by, as we were debuting the figures for the first time at GenCon) then we may very well have already met- I made the terrain pieces, and was chained to one of them all weekend.

I got the demo of the game...or at least got to see the figures and terrain. I don't recall a demo...but I know some guy with a huge noggin' showed us the goodies!

@FF - That was very kind of Eric to point out the bird-flipping after the fact. Are you sure he really comes to Gen Con to help Wyrd? ;->

(Also, I've known him since the fourth grade, and get to publicly smear him whenever possible. :D )

If he brought you by the Mutant Chronicles demos [delete] then we may very well have already met- I made the terrain pieces, and was chained to one of them all weekend.

I think that is so cool when people have stayed in touch with childhood friends! I'm barely in contact with some people I knew in college, nevermind grade school.

When we were getting the Jeremy tour, we talked about Mutant Chronicles near the display cases. About 45min before close on Sunday we realized we did not have pictures of the very cool demo terrain, and started snapping before you guys packed it all up, but there wasn't really time for a demo unfortunately. You did a great job with the terrain, I really like the one with the ruins and the fountain especially.

Between this convo and badge registration yesterday I'm getting all excited about Gen Con already, but it's not for ages!

I got the demo of the game...or at least got to see the figures and terrain. I don't recall a demo...but I know some guy with a huge noggin' showed us the goodies!

I'd bet it was my huge noggin. Evan and Brian don't have fat ugly heads like I do. Well, truthfully, I can't speak to their aesthetic appeal one way or the other, due to the qualitative nature of such a judgement. However, speaking quantitatively, they do not have big dumb heads like I do, so I feel fairly safe in that assessment.

I'm very glad people liked the terrain pieces. All the positive feedback helps to keep me employed. You should all right fan mail in early April, when I get my annual review. Then, when the Wyrd game comes out, I will have money to buy it and get everyone at work hooked on it, and return the favor.

Whew! Iron Painter broke my computer! The tension and rising stress caused my motherboard to meltdown on Thursday night!

So apologies for getting back here so late, but I have a new computer (microsoft.grrr.vista. GRRRR) with a bit faster mice in it's wheel.

Skya! You did it! DH! You brought the goods, man, so close!

Great job everyone, this was so much FUN! That's the reason I stayed in it for the long haul...the point was to kick my but back into higher painting gear after a year of not finishing much of anything due to cancer. It worked. I'm more motivated, more apt to jump on new ideas, less scared to screw something up. Basically, more confidence that given two weeks and a few extra days ( ;-)), I can turn out something very nice. A bit longer, and I'm looking over my shoulder for the deadline police now, but knowing I'm tuirning out something better, faster.

And I still think the I think I can's should be judged, too! I haven't anything but the one judging to harass the judges about. :-(

Thanks again guys, this was fun and agonizing, and I hope a long time before it starts up again...