Size Comparison Pictures ..

Nathan Caroland

Alrighty, every time I turn around someone is screaming or having a tantrum over Wyrd being 32mm heroic and we are obviously just way out of the market, too huge, what the hell are we thinking .. you get the picture.

Well as many of you know that have picked up our miniatures, we're actually right on in there for the most part with a lot of others that call themselves 28mm heroic or 30mm heroic, cause if you take a ruler to them, like I did some long time back, you might be just a touch surprised at the sizes of some of these 28's.

Not something I can officially do, but seeing as there are a ton of folks out there with minis, Wyrd and otherwise, I would like to see if some folks would like to take some size comparison shots and post them here in the thread. The more the merry I say, as I would love to see comparision shots for Reaper, Urban Mammoth, Games Workshop, Privateer Press, Rackham ,,, whatever. I know we're going to be larger than some, smaller than others, and dead on for a great many of the companies that are going in what is becoming a standard for the industry, but basically, I want to be able to let folks take the guess work out and be able to see for themselves.

Line up some minis, take some photos, and be certain to give credit to the companies you use as that is only proper.

You can see a photo that EricJ did here as a comparision shot here a bit back as an example of what I'm looking for.

Sizes.jpg

Thats interesting that this started, I was just noting the scale difference between Wyrd and other figures..or its 'non' difference, since they're not hugely bigger than the LoTR GW figures that are 25mm, or the three 28mm true-scale Darksword figs I'm almost finished with. Yeah, they're bigger, but then again, they're supposed to be. Fact is, they look better than most in the same scale, too.

I'll take some photos (since I'm going to do that now) for this thread.

Sometimes people just need something to complain about.

Well, for instance, you can throw Wyrd stuff in amongst Reaper, Privateer Press and a host of other lines and pretty much be compatible, but folks for some reason get this idea that because we label the miniatures as 32mm heroic, that we have some HUGE miniatures, atleast until they get a chance to see them in person and then someone goes .. ooh.

This is an old line for me to be honest and you could find a whole 'nother thread on this here on the site if you really wanted to look, but more to the point, I'm just curious to see some folks comparison shots.

We ARE bigger than a bunch of others out there, particularly those that are true 28mm scale or smaller. The ones that call themselves 'heroic' or 30mm and up though, I would say we fall right on in there easily enough.

More to the point, its about getting the point across to people that, hey, pull out your ruler, take a look at what you've got there. Naturally I would like to pull them in as potential customers as well by dispelling this myth that we're grossly out of proportion.

... because we label the miniatures as 32mm heroic, that we have some HUGE miniatures, atleast until they get a chance to see them in person and then someone goes .. ooh.

More to the point, its about getting the point across to people that, hey, pull out your ruler, take a look at what you've got there. Naturally I would like to pull them in as potential customers as well by dispelling this myth that we're grossly out of proportion.

Another thing to suggest is that a mm is roughly the thinkness of a dime (US currency) so if they want, they can make a stack of dimes to see the difference. It's tiny!

Maybe that will help.

I've painted many minis which claim 25mm, 28mm or 30mm that are FAR larger than Wyrds. Not particularly because they were taller, but rather because while they were shorter and closer to that size, they proportions were essentially off. Giant heads compared to height, or very thick and wide for their height. It's funny how our eye doesn't particularly pick up on these proportional problems in miniature, but is also one of the things I like about wyrd and why I signed on to paint wyrd minis. Basically because they're done much more proportionally accurate than much of what's out there. The bodies are just a bit taller and thinner than most to make them more correct based on a similar head size. I like that personally and it does make them seem smaller than many other minis that might actually be shorter and scrunched into the shorter mm ideals.

Ha, well I've had assignments asking for "true 28mm" figures in the past & mine are always much smaller than what they really wanted. I had one guy say that mine was way too small & sent me an example after the fact and that figure measured 36mm not the 28 he had requested. I won't start on new projects unless I have an existing size example unless mine is the piece that will be compared to in the future. Using "true" before the size is usually a big indicator that they are way off & unfortunately so is the term "heroic". At one time heroic was just used to describe the exaggerated style of musculature, weapons & pose as being more comic-book like than realistic. Now its used to cover the idea that they can't keep in scale.

Many companies and sculptors will cover by saying the measurement is "to the eyes". I see this argument all the time & its nonsense. It is usually used to cover the fact that they screwed up & still they are not not close. No real person or any other industry in the world measures "to the eyes." If someone someday shows me a government issued ID that says they are 6 foot tall "to the eyes" maybe I'll come around, but until then I always want to poke someone's eyes out when I hear it.

Sorry, this is one of a few sculpting subjects that really gets me riled up. Every sculptor (or company) makes mistakes & can make pieces a mm or so too big or small. They just need to be honest about it. The ones that are usually take a lot of flak. Dark Sword is another company that gives measurements of 32mm to the top of the head & they also get numerous complaints of "too big".

standing your male barbarian beside our Bishop isn't going to make your barbarian look like a hobbit.
Actually, since my male barbarian is that old nearly nude guy by Ral Parth from the mid 1970s it would.

I always thought the term "heroic" meant "slightly bigger than". So, Heroic 28mm meant slightly bigger than the average 28mm mini, which I believe was GWs space marine scale way back when. One would not expect "heroic 32mm" to be anywhere near "28mm". I have plenty of old 25mm figures that are 25mm either to crown or eyes (the difference never mattered to me).

I have been slowly accumulating figures for a group piece but I don't have all the figs yet and haven't begun on it.

Anyway, it includes the ice witch from wyrd, 2 Klocke bards from Reaper, a bard by that company I don't recall (someone tell me - it had "character" or "personality" in the title), and a Privateer Press Manhunter.

They are all going to be fine in the same scene I'm sure.

In the mean time, I'll try a photo of all the female minis I've got (well, one from each company anyway).

Maybe I'll just add my Taelor to this group:

carshowgirls.jpg

The one on the far right is an early '80s Ral Partha mini. She looks almost hobitlike to me now.

Yes, but adding an old 70's or 80's, hell even early 90's figure to the bunch is going to make it look small as hell. Wyrd miniatures makes Hasslefree miniatures midgets by comparison due to them going for the 'true' 28mm sizing.

My point was more along the lines of the larger, newer sized miniatures coming out these last few years more than for anything that is retro, which though nice, is going to end up the short one out of the bunch.

But that Alice is also a child figure IIRC. So smaller again. (EDIT, She's 27mm to the top of her head.)

But it does show size comparison. If somebody's familiar with Hasslefree minis and wondered how well Wyrd would fit with them, there's a prime example.

Also I don't really get that scene, not sure what the two characters are 'interacting' about.

It's a diorama of a "Bring Your Daughter to Work" Day! :D

Okay, here are a few photos for comparison.

Just to be consistent (and because I seem to have a lot of them) I am only comparing female miniatures. It makes more sense that way.

First off, some I painted not too long ago:

PaintedLadies.jpg

Wyrd, Fenryl, Hasslefree

Now the line-up. At a glance, could you pick out the Wyrd mini? That's the question really. You would be able to if she were disproportionate to the rest.

Ladies.jpg

SJB Studios, Magnificent Egoes, Tactical Miniatures, Reaper, Games Workshop, Wyrd, Dark Age, Spyglass, Hasslefree, I-Kore

Just for informational purposes I then rearranged them by size:

ladiesdescending.jpg

You can see, the Wyrd mini is at the high end of the scale.

Here is the Wyrd mini compared to a GW mini. Of course this is an older GW and if they have creeped up, I suspect she's not demonstrative.

However, even so, it just looks like a taller woman and a shorter woman standing together.

WyrdGWladies-1.jpg

Finally, I just thought this was a funny comparison:

pointing-1.jpg

Wyrd, Reaper