Heros

EricJ

I've been watching Heroes and I really like it.

Yeah, it started out pretty slow and there's a couple of characters/plotlines I'm not very impressed with, but overall I'm liking the plot, pacing and characters. It's fun and interesting that, at the beginning, most of them have no idea what they can do and they're exploring those possibilities and powers. I really like that they're starting to meet each other.

Hiro is definitely my favorite so far. I didn't care for Peter at first (too whiny, IMHO), but he's starting to get interesting. Niki's husand, D.L., has an interesting power and next week's show looks to be good since it seems we'll get a better idea of what Niki's alter-ego can do and possibly how she figures into the whole thing.

What I wonder about (and yeah, it's probably too soon to start thinking about this): what happens if/when they save NYC? Do they go their separate ways to fight the bad guys? Do they stick together? Will there be some other danger that they have to stop?

Hiro did tell Peter that they needed to save the cheerleader (thinking I'm going to make that my new sig, btw) to prevent everything. This would seem to indicate that there's something in addition to the nuclear explosion in NYC that they have to stop. Should be fun to find out; just hope that they don't let the thing drag out too long or let it fall apart, as so often happens to great shows.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be something simple, like the off switch is protected by a trap of lasers that will cut anyone passing through into pieces and she has to pass through, get cut to pieces, reassemble and turn off the bomb.

Or perhaps she has to be there at the end to convince daddy to change his evil ways.

Why do people from the future always act so cryptic?

Why didn't Hiro just say: here's her name and address. Save her and you'll prevent New York from blowing up.?

And what's with Hiro all of a sudden being able to speak English?

He has zero English skills up to this point, then he has a conversation with fly by night.

I know, you may be saying he speaks it choppy, with simple words and no verbs etc. But that doesn't explain how when Fly by night says "wher ya from", Hiro immediately knows he's being asked where his home is.

Heck, I am a native speaker and I couldn't understand some of what fly by night was saying because he mumbled too much.

well the evil dad obviously cares about the cheerleader still, since he makes the quarterback pay for what he did, so it could be something along the lines of he makes the city pay if she's killed. Or maybe due to her power, she explodes a city with released energy if she ever manages to be killed for real...

At the moment, favorite heros from good to bad:

1: Hiro (despite the english thing)

2: Cheerleader

3: younger brother (up this week!)

4: Painter

5: Mom

6: Cop (down a few places)

7: Older Brother

I mostly agree with your rankings.

Older brother I would put above the cop, which is a shame as the cop would have been #3 last week.

Older brother I move up because the effect of him taking off and leaving a vapor trail was cool.

Painter hasn't been very exciting for me though. I think I'd put him below the mom.

I'm curious to see whether or not they continue with Peter (the younger brother right? I'm horrible with names) channeling Isaac's power to see the future.

Yeah, after that scene, I was thinking that now the artist doesn't have to shoot up anymore. Yay. Power-mimic little brother can just paint for him as long as the artist is there. Heh. Probably wishful thinking. ;)

Did anyone else notice the huge gaping hole in the cheerleader's abdomen in the painting when it was done? Maybe that's what they have to prevent to save the cheerleader?

The guy who cleans out people's minds turning out to be the dad of the little boy was a nice twist. [EDIT: Oops, my bad. This is not the case apparently, but those two actors look similar enough when you only see them for a few seconds. :P]

And he [the new dad] can go through walls? No wonder the police couldn't keep him detained. Hehe! Now I really want to know just who this alter-ego is that the mom has, and does the alter-ego have powers? 'Cause otherwise, she's still the one character that just doesn't "fit" with the rest of the heroes.

And the politician breaking the sound barrier (that's what that little cloudy ring in the sky was, right?) when he flew away was pretty awesome IMO.

What I'm waiting to see (if they decide to do it) is when all or most of the heroes get together in one place.

If there's:

Peter (younger brother) - empath (i.e. "takes on" the powers of others)

Nathan (older brother) - flight

Hiro - bends time and space

Claire (cheerleader) - indestructible (well, pretty much)

Matt (cop) - reads minds

then, what will Peter be like? If Peter can use the abilities of others, and if he can use all of those powers at once, can you imagine what he'd be like?

I'm with Akenmaat on Niki's alter-ego. If she doesn't have powers, then big whoop; there's nothing special about her. However, it almost seems like the "other her" is very strong and a hell of a fighter. Guess time will tell.

The guy who cleans out people's minds turning out to be the dad of the little boy was a nice twist.

I thought those were 2 different people. I could definitely be wrong though, trying to watch the show with my kids running through the room trying to NOT get ready for bed. heh

They are NOT the same person. That is perfectly clear from the online comic.

Also, beyond being dark skinned and bald, they don't really look alike.

As to using Peter so the artist doesn't "have to" shoot up, I don't think the artist has to shoot up at all. He's an addict. He has convinced himself that he can only paint when high. That's a common enough association used to justify an addiction he knows is wrong. With counseling he can learn that he has simply made up an excuse for himself as to why he needs the drugs. I actually found that to be a realistic element.

Think of this, if he only has the power when high, then how could Peter mimic it when painter didn't have the power?

From the trailer for next week, it definately looked like the mom alter-ego was kicking peoples ass with amazing strength (people flying across the room when hit, etc...)

So she's like The Hulk!... only without becoming all big and green and speaking in the third person. And I don't think the Hulk ever got lucky as the Hulk, but correct me if I'm wrong.....

Damn, I missed about the last 10 minutes of the latest episode because my tape ended. Drat!

*EDIT* One thing I was wondering about, when future-Hiro appeared to talk to Peter, he spoke perfect English with no accent. (?) I know it's just a trivial point, but don't usually when most people learn English as a second language, they speak it accecnted? I mean, I work with a Taiwanese girl, who is rather fluent in English, but still with an accent. Did anyone else notice this?

Ah. I think I may have found the trailers on NBC.com.

Could someone who sees it on TV tell me if the trailer is included in the "2-minute" wrap up on the web site?

Looked to me like mom is gonna fight it out with the villain - what was his name? Silas, Simon, Sturgeon...?

Okay, so I just spent too much time trying to cut freeze frame images of the 2 bald black men to show that they are different. Then it occurred to me to go to IMDB and look up the show.

The villain is played by Hatian actor Jimmy Jean-Louis. (Monster-in-law, Phat Girlz, etc.)

The husband is played by Leonard Roberts (Drumline, Buffy the Vampire Slayer [tv])

Oh, and for all those potential pedophiles out there, the actress who plays the cheerleader, Hayden Panettierre, actually IS 16 in those shots. She turned 17 last August. One more year before you can drool over her with a clean conscience.

Funny cast trivia:

Flying brother is married to one of the Dixie Chix

Mom was a sorority sister in Legally Blond

Cop was the pilot of the plane that crashed in Lost

Rapist was the President's son on "Commander in Chief"

Dead Indian Geneticist was played by Erick Avari (Planet of the Apes, Stargate [tv & film], Independence Day, The Mummy)

Watched this on NBC.com last night finally and rather enjoyed it.

Hiro, got a better look at him in the train and I think he is definitly from much further in the future than five weeks as he had long hair in a tail and I think that is where his english came from as well, time amongst english speaking yokels, etc.

Flying brother - now he is starting to get interesting for me to be honest, he has a mercenary streek to him where he turned the tables, slightly, on his blackmailers and flat out said he would kill 'Dad' and the 'Mindwiper'. I expected something a bit more hokey as well for his flying but I rewatched it three times with him taking off like he did and then breaking the sound barrier and zooming off like he did. Very cool! Loved his landing as well!

Cop ... meh. Didn't do anything for me to be honest and I played it on high speed to get through a bunch of it, just didn't do anything for me.

Cheerleader ... actually went in to apologize to her killer/body stasher/would be rapist which shows she's got a lot of morals, blah, blah. I think I would have liked her a bit better if she had just sauntered on out on bitch mode but understand why they did it more or less. Still like her and am curious why she is the key to saving everyone.

Youngest brother - Liking the Chameleon powers and how he is starting to figure them out and is taking it serious.

Doomsday Seer - he played sort of a secondary role here but I think it'll get interesting with him.

Stripper Mom - the more I watch this the more I am waiting for her to really 'come out' and after hearing about the previews for next week (haven't seen them) I'm hoping it gets good. Seems like it is all her, no DL in the body, blah, blah and frankly, I think she's going to be a scary bitch when it all comes out. I also think she is the one that killed DL's crew and DL didn't really walk out on her so much as got the hell out before she killed him. Least it seemed like he was hiding from her and was wary of her when he made an appearance at her house.

Also, got to thinking about I don't think the Indians Father is dead - he never saw the body and just got the ashes right? Also, I can't see why they would bother getting a well known actor like Erick Avari to simply use him for a picture on the back of a book. Think he's alive.

Sylar, nuttin this time about - still think that little girl he was after is special for some reason.

Mindwipper - that guy seems to enjoy his job.

Dad - now I really liked him in this episode, particularly when he puts it to the quarterback. I'm also wondering if he isn't such the 'bad guy' afterall. So far we haven't seen him kill anyone yet. Protects his family. The folks he's gotten ahold of all seem to come back (well the one anyhow) even if they don't know what happened to them. Maybe he's cataloging them - dunno. Seems sinister and I know they mean for him to be, but something tells me he's not the evil bastard he's being made out to be. Maybe ...

Also, got to thinking about I don't think the Indians Father is dead - he never saw the body and just got the ashes right? Also, I can't see why they would bother getting a well known actor like Erick Avari to simply use him for a picture on the back of a book. Think he's alive.

I was thinking the same thing, but then Mohinder (the son) said in the episode "Collision" that he hadn't shed a single tear since his father's death, not even when he claimed the body. He says "They showed me three John Doe's before they finally found him. My father was 'misfiled'." But who knows? It is a TV show; anything can happen.

The dad is getting interesting. At first, I put him in the same league as the "Cigarette Smoking Man" from the X-Files, but there's definitely something different about him. He knows what his daughter can do, but I think he really does love her so he's not doing anything yet. If his intention was to harm the "heroes" or if he was evil, then I think he would have done something to her by now.

Is mindwiper Sylar?

Erick Avari - I think he'll be in flashbacks.

READ THE ON-LINE COMIC!!!! It shows Mohinder collecting the body.

Dad - He can't be trying to eliminate the heroes. He had the cop and let him go, and the cop still had his powers.

This brings me back to the first question. I'll have to rewatch the episode where mind-wiper first shows up. Is he Sylar? If not, perhaps Dad is hunting for Sylar by reading the memories of all supers.

Is mindwiper Sylar?

Dad - He can't be trying to eliminate the heroes. He had the cop and let him go, and the cop still had his powers.

Maybe he implanted some sort of "suggestion" in thier heads, so just saying some keyword or phrase will give him control over all the heroes when the time comes!

Just a thought...

:stupido:

yeah, pretty sure sylar isn't the mind wiping guy

here is my new totally made up right now theory.

Sylar is Peter (younger brother), who in the future develops his power to the point he could absorb others abilities from a really long range (which is why he seems to have everyones abilities). He goes crazy due to accidentally killing the cheerleader somehow, but now he's now BACK from the future, since he can do that with Hiro's powers. The big explosion is really this "time rift" that Hiro mentions to Peter on the train.

or something like that...

I like your theory. Unfortunately I don't think tv writers are that creative.

Since no one can explain to me why I can't watch NBC.com on my home computer I'll have to wait until after work at the office some day to re-run the episodes and see the faces and hear the names. I didn't think you actually could see Sylar.

Why does the mindwipe guy have a necklace that is exactly like the tattoo on the mom?

Duende, maybe you're right. Then the cheerleader could be the key because her healing powers prevent her from being mind-wiped/controlled.

Duende, maybe you're right. Then the cheerleader could be the key because her healing powers prevent her from being mind-wiped/controlled.

Or just maybe beacuse she's a DDD (Daddy's Darling Daughter).

There's a theory! New York blew up because something happened to Claire and her dad completely flipped out and killed everybody with the nuclear bomb he happened to have in his closet. So the heroes have to save her so she can run to daddy saying,"No daddy, don't destroy the world!" which stops him.

:stupido: Not really sure where Sylar fits into that theory yet, maybe I'll have a better idea after Monday night.

You can see Sylar, briefly, when he is in the episode where he killed the agents and is dragging that little girl out of the room. You don't see any details but I'm pretty sure he's white.

As for Mindwiper and Psycho Mom having the same markings, hrmmm, I wonder if they already got ahold of her and wiped her her and then she was marked as 'all taken care of' for some reason or another and thus the reason for her alternative, her having to 'shut down' while the 'other' comes out and takes care of things.