next purchases

beergod

Well first of all, I think every starting player, regardless of Allegiance, should consider having an Adjunct or one of their single model fireteams on hand. Not only do they tend to be good in their own right, but they're also cheap filler options that you can throw in when you have a couple of scrip spare. In the case of Abyssinia, the Engineer's (your adjunct) card draw tends to be absurdly good. There's also the Rail Gunner who can provide you with a powerful long ranged shot. But if you can afford the scrip cost the better option, IMO, is the Marauder. He's fast enough to flank your opponent's force and take unguarded objectives, which is very important for alot of games.  

If you want to take Steel Legion and Mech Infantry, Kassa Doyle might make a good second Commander for her Titan-specific synergies (she also really likes Dreadnoughts, of course!).

There's also Electrocutioners, who's affinity for prototypes give them some synergy with your starter box Commander - Prince Ulthani. 

Finally (because I might as well go over almost everything ;) ), Basotho Cavalry have a similar role to the above Marauder (fast Flankers), which makes them invaluable for the relatively slow Abyssinia. 

Anyway, to boil all that down, if you want to expand to 2-commander games you could get Kassa, the Dreadnought, a unit of Steel Legion or Mech Infantry (or both if you drop some Mehal Safari) and a couple of the above cheap units to give you enough for a full 2-commander game. 

But if you're trying to stick to 1-commander games with the Prince, you could consider swapping in Electrocutioners, a Marauder w. the Toughness Asset and an Engineer (to replace Crow Runners and one of the Mehal Safari) to vary your list up a little. Finding room for a unit of Steel Legion or Mech infantry would work too of course - it's not going to break your list if you don't take Electrocutioners. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, beergod said:

So I did't go super deep into the Kick start and Just got the commander level.  What do you think I will be really wanting to get?

Thinking Steel Legion and Mech inf. Anything Else?

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 11:28 AM, Rathnard said:

Well first of all, I think every starting player, regardless of Allegiance, should consider having an Adjunct or one of their single model fireteams on hand. Not only do they tend to be good in their own right, but they're also cheap filler options that you can throw in when you have a couple of scrip spare. In the case of Abyssinia, the Engineer's (your adjunct) card draw tends to be absurdly good. There's also the Rail Gunner who can provide you with a powerful long ranged shot. But if you can afford the scrip cost the better option, IMO, is the Marauder. He's fast enough to flank your opponent's force and take unguarded objectives, which is very important for alot of games.  

If you want to take Steel Legion and Mech Infantry, Kassa Doyle might make a good second Commander for her Titan-specific synergies (she also really likes Dreadnoughts, of course!).

There's also Electrocutioners, who's affinity for prototypes give them some synergy with your starter box Commander - Prince Ulthani. 

Finally (because I might as well go over almost everything ;) ), Basotho Cavalry have a similar role to the above Marauder (fast Flankers), which makes them invaluable for the relatively slow Abyssinia. 

Anyway, to boil all that down, if you want to expand to 2-commander games you could get Kassa, the Dreadnought, a unit of Steel Legion or Mech Infantry (or both if you drop some Mehal Safari) and a couple of the above cheap units to give you enough for a full 2-commander game. 

But if you're trying to stick to 1-commander games with the Prince, you could consider swapping in Electrocutioners, a Marauder w. the Toughness Asset and an Engineer (to replace Crow Runners and one of the Mehal Safari) to vary your list up a little. Finding room for a unit of Steel Legion or Mech infantry would work too of course - it's not going to break your list if you don't take Electrocutioners. ;)

I think he will have a bunch of what you listed from the commander level.  Multiple adjuncts and the Basotho cav, plus a second commander for fun.

@beergod I am with you on the Steel Legion.  I am not yet sold on the Mech Infantry (will want to proxy them more).  I think my first two additions will be Steel Legion and a unit of Electrocutioners. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CaladanCid said:

I think he will have a bunch of what you listed from the commander level.  Multiple adjuncts and the Basotho cav, plus a second commander for fun.

@beergod I am with you on the Steel Legion.  I am not yet sold on the Mech Infantry (will want to proxy them more).  I think my first two additions will be Steel Legion and a unit of Electrocutioners. 

I went with Mech Infantry over steel legion for 2 reasons:

1) Price.  Steel Legion is nice, but literally the most expensive unit we have, by a comfortable margin.

2) Range.  The Mech Infantry Walker sports the longest range gun in the faction (one of the longest in the game I think actually).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Clement said:

I went with Mech Infantry over steel legion for 2 reasons:

1) Price.  Steel Legion is nice, but literally the most expensive unit we have, by a comfortable margin.

2) Range.  The Mech Infantry Walker sports the longest range gun in the faction (one of the longest in the game I think actually).  

Yes for sure, really expensive. But also really, REALLY, metal. A gigantic walker with buzzsaw hands. Yep.

Kidding aside, they are only two SS more than Electrocutioners.  STR 5 is very nice.  I think your reasons are legit, but for me I want to test whether the long range guns are needed in a faction with rail gunners (only 6 less range).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/8/2018 at 1:34 AM, Beetle941 said:

The calvary seem like a great choice for the Behind Enemy Lines stratagem along with crow runners. I dont think I would spend script on them just because they are free with the stratagem

They're not really free though. You need the tactics tokens to buy the stratagem, and those are in pretty high demand as is. Not to mention that they only come in as a single fireteam, which isn't exactly hard to kill when they're bas-cav. ;)

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/11/2018 at 3:11 AM, Rathnard said:

They're not really free though. You need the tactics tokens to buy the stratagem, and those are in pretty high demand as is. Not to mention that they only come in as a single fireteam, which isn't exactly hard to kill when they're bas-cav. ;)

They come in with 2 reinforcement tokens and, if flipped to glory, basically will make a reinforcement token every turn from then on out.  If you can actually use the stratagem late enough in the turn that they can deploy safely,  I think they stand a fighting chance of living, or at least dragging a unit or two out of the way to go get them.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, solkan said:
  • Electrocutioners (Why, past me, why, didn’t you order these guys? 😓

This exact thought is why I made sure to order these guys in the first place. Working as a software engineer I started getting a real sense of "will future me be upset with past me over this?"

A second Marauder and a second each on Steel Legion and Mechanized Infantry are on my short list. Steel Legion does a ton of work when you need something to rush forward and dish out some pain, and the range of the Mechanized Infantry's titan is helpful for keeping people honest, but you lose out on shooting stuff if you get tarpitted by something that just isn't dying.

• 2 weeks later...